MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's the deal with the names?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: So what's the deal with the names? Reply with quote

I've noticed that recently a lot of people have hidden caches with the names of elements from the periodic table on it. Many of these new caches link back to Boreal Walker's Periodic Table of Elements Challenge, the object of which is to find caches containing all the elements' names.

I don't understand the purpose of this--of naming caches a particular way just so that another hider's challenge becomes easier for other cachers to complete. Sometimes, the name comes naturally- such as the caches in the Ramsey area hidden on or near streets named after some of the elements. Those, I get. But a cache named in such a way just so it will help fulfill a challenge? That sort of cheapens the challenge in my eyes.

I own one challenge based on cache names. I don't think anyone has (or had to) name a cache to meet my challenge, but I'd be a little upset if that happened. I won't be planting anymore caches based on names, for a couple of reasons.

I should say, I am working on some challenges based on cache names, and some are more open than others. And while, for example, I'd be pleased if there were a multicache starting with 'X' near me, I'd rather have have "Xeriscape" lead me through an area of drought-resistant plants than have "XRAY" be a simple walk through the woods with no connection to the name.

Even though "The Reviled Devil's Trail of Evil Hides: From Roseville to Lakeville via Lake Demontreville" might get me a lot closer to qualifying for GC2CGY0, I think that it would be cheap. And I say that even though I have some "Roseville", "Lakeville", and "Platteville" caches on my qualifying list.

Maybe I'm getting frustrated on BW's behalf, and he doesn't mind, or even encourages this. It just seems odd that lately there has been such a concerted push in this area, by a multitude of cache hiders, that I have to say " What's the deal with the names?"
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker has a Periodic Table of the Elements Challenge. I suspect it's related to that.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: So what's the deal with the names? Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
I've noticed that recently a lot of people have Maybe I'm getting frustrated on BW's behalf, and he doesn't mind, or even encourages this. It just seems odd that lately there has been such a concerted push in this area, by a multitude of cache hiders, that I have to say " What's the deal with the names?"

Ah, I didn't read all the way down before replying. I can't speak for BW, but for me, they're just caches. I've been grabbing the elemental caches on my outstate road cruises but not going out of my way. Too some degree, I am challenged out. I did the higher profile ones and now only grab challenge required caches if I happen to be near them.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me (I hid a couple in Red Wing), I simply didn't have a good idea for a cache name, and wanted to do a little something to help with the Boreal Walker challenge...
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I was hiding them before that challenge came out, and was just something I was interested in. Chemistry. Found a cool website that put up video's of some interesting experiments or things that were of interest related to that particular element.

Still having fun with that.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
For me, I was hiding them before that challenge came out, and was just something I was interested in. Chemistry. Found a cool website that put up video's of some interesting experiments or things that were of interest related to that particular element.

Still having fun with that.

Same here...I had a couple chem puzzles created...just never got to actually submitting them...I really like the names and have been wanting to use them...has little to do with the challenge...but, I don't mind helping...and I know Boreal appreciates the assist...just part of the fun with caching.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sort of hard to imagine how, say, strontium would ever naturally occur in a cache name? Do you have to find them ALL?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: