MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Country Skiing and Geocaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Is the ice really thick enough yet?

Not for rustynails: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c86d0e53-45d7-499e-a889-36dae187e70b
And he kept caching?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Not for rustynails: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c86d0e53-45d7-499e-a889-36dae187e70b
And he kept caching?

Well, if you're already wet, you might as well get the cache, right?
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I'm going for this one by myself after work today. If you don't hear from me again, it was great getting to know all of you. At least I'll go out doing something I love.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
There's ice houses out on Lake Mille Lacs!

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/952522/391/Over-20-stranded-ice-anglers-rescued-on-Mille-Lacs
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as we get some snow, the ONLY way to get the 6 new caches at William O'Brien SP is by XC Ski. They do not have snowshoe or hiking trails out there. Actually is would probably be the best way to get those caches.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think I'm waiting till I see trucks and ice houses on my backyard Red Rock Lake before I walk out there. And I will find a buddy too. With some rope I guess. What crazy apocalyptic no-snow rotten-ice December is this . . . well at least it is better for my new learner-permit driver.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These new caches you speak of in William O Brien SP. You're saying they are only available in the winter, and only if there is snow on the ground. What about summer? Seems senseless to have caches only available for short periods of time.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
These new caches you speak of in William O Brien SP. You're saying they are only available in the winter, and only if there is snow on the ground. What about summer? Seems senseless to have caches only available for short periods of time.

I believe they are on XC ski (only) trails - the only way to access them in the snow is to ski to them - you can't walk on the trails in the snow.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
There's ice houses out on Lake Mille Lacs!

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/12/22/anglers-warned-of-iffy-ice-on-lake-mille-lacs/
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I skied to one of my caches to check it out. Great to be on skis. The caches at William O'Brian appear to be like mine, you can mountain bike or hike to them in the summer, but once the trails are groomed for skiing you need to ski. I may make a trip that way this winter. Six caches to ski to on a trail system sounds great. I haven't been to William O'Brian since I was a naturalist. That was years ago. Next, I then skied out to a lake cache I own at 5:15, plenty early, but plenty dark. I used a headlamp. There had been snowmobiles, a fisherman, and a cacher on the lake in the past few days. I knew it was safe. When I was close to the island I saw what was either bare glare ice or open water. It was more glassy than the patches of ice I skied across. With my tunnel vision I opted not to check it out though I was curious. When logging the maintenance check I saw a photo that made me glad for the Rhode Island Red genes that I possess. I tend to error on the side of caution. On the other hand, skiing to the cache was great. I use a combination of snowshoes and skis for winter travel. It helps the winter go by fast.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c8ce55d7-9f79-429f-a715-f7bd4f12565c

Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few winter only caches up here in northern MN or they should be winter only. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=833be60f-6dc5-4c58-a465-afcebeeb4624 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c3d04ef6-09bd-4347-aeeb-2f46d33be451 for example. When you live north of the Arctic Circle that means half the year is winter so that gives you plenty of time to find the "winter only" caches. Very Happy What happened to tonkaMN...is the cacher back dead or alive?

dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see a log from tonkamn on the cache but she could still have field logged it and fallent thru the ice on the way out.
mnfishnutz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TonkaMN logged in today... maybe the moving ice logged her in or something?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I did see a log from tonkamn on the cache but she could still have field logged it and fallent thru the ice on the way out.

He's still alive. Says the ice is safe!
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
dornole wrote:

He's still alive. Says the ice is safe!

Yay! Ted's alive and well and will be able to enjoy the holidays with his family! We had our fingers crossed for your safe return Ted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: