MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone use color?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone use color? Reply with quote

I have come into a few hundred dollars (I won my Fantasy Football league Laughing ). I was thinking of upgrading to a color GPS. I now use a Magellan Sportrek Map which is nice but I get frustrated sometimes about the lack of memory. I like the Magellan Meridian Color as you can use secure digital cards so memory is nearly limitless.

But I am concerned with battery life and whether or not it is worth the additional money. I assume I could sell my Sporttrek Map and the software and accessories that I have for around $200. That and my $200 from my illegal gambling operation should get me a Meridian Color and some accessories from ebay.

Any advice from some of you? Anyone? Anyone?? Bueler?? Come one, no one has advice...Oh wait, maybe I should post this message first.

thanks
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the new Garmin color units. They have a ton of memory and battery life is supposed to be outstanding.
Farmerted
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased one of the Magellanís with color the color I could take it or leave it but I have not purchased the mapping software yet my opinion might change. What I do like is the bigger screen and the memory and it does seem to be more accurate than my garmin. What I donít like is it only zooms to 100 feet on the map and the screen at times is harder to see while it is mounted in my car if the sun is shining directly on it but the mounting cradle is powered so you donít have to attach the power cable directly to the unit like the garmin
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmerted wrote:
I recently purchased one of the Magellanís with color the color I could take it or leave it but I have not purchased the mapping software yet my opinion might change. What I do like is the bigger screen and the memory and it does seem to be more accurate than my garmin. What I donít like is it only zooms to 100 feet on the map and the screen at times is harder to see while it is mounted in my car if the sun is shining directly on it but the mounting cradle is powered so you donít have to attach the power cable directly to the unit like the garmin

What I really like about the Magellans is the SD card. I would easily be able to read/write to the card w/a USB card reader instead of having to serial cable hookup everytime I switch computers. I have an IRman for my desktop and it likes to take over control of the serial port even if it isn't running Wink

The joys of Windows,
Silent Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: