MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dick K cache retrieval
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Dick K cache retrieval Reply with quote

First the legal speak.

Groundspeak policy is that caches belong to the cache owner. Groundspeak can not encourage or suggest anyone take part in retrieving these caches.

Ok, so if you agree to participate in this, you agree you are breaking the rules.

Dick had 24 active caches when he passed away.

Here's the list of caches. If you pick one up please let me know so I can cross it off the list. I will not indicate who retrieved it, just that it's been retrieved.

Thanks!

RETRIEVED - GCTPAN - Multicache - Hennepin Summit - Large
    RETRIEVED - GCKKQX - Traditional Cache - Au Natural - Regular
    RETRIEVED - GCNGYK - Traditional Cache - Lowry Woods - Regular
    RETRIEVED - GCKM6Z - Traditional Cache - Lucky Lucey - Micro
    RETRIEVED - GCTEMM - Traditional Cache - Bederwood Hobbit Hole - Regular
    GCTTGW - Multicache - New Trail to Old - Regular
    GCVYX1 - Traditional Cache - Infant Swan - Small
    GCK94W - Traditional Cache - Lucy on the Line - Micro
    MISSING or RETRIEVED - GCN5RJ - Traditional Cache - Park N Grab on Stubbs - Small
    RETRIEVED - GCK0DE - Traditional Cache - 7 Nations - Regular
    GCKJYA - Traditional Cache - Stumpy on the Luce - Regular
    RETRIEVED - GCP0BF - Traditional Cache - New Urban Landscape - Small
    RETRIEVED - GCKTG2 - Traditional Cache - He shoots--He scores! - Small
    RETRIEVED - GCWQ6N - Traditional Cache - Big Island Park - Small
    RETRIEVED - GCKADX - Traditional Cache - Declaration of Independence - Regular
    RETRIEVED - GCVGM1 - Traditional Cache - Independence Mountain - Regular
    GC12XCB - Traditional Cache - Sound Barrier II - Micro
    RETRIEVED - GCVWQP - Multicache - Half Moon Over Baker - Small
    GCW27M - Traditional Cache - Between 12 & 12 - Small
    RETRIEVED - GCKDJE - Traditional Cache - J Stroke - Regular
    MISSING or RETRIEVED - GCTB6P - Traditional Cache - Spring Hill Trail - Regular
    GCVJDT - Multicache - Sarah Undertow Redux - Not chosen
    RETRIEVED - GC1C89H - Traditional Cache - Sarah Backwater - Regular
    RETRIEVED GCTVDA - Traditional Cache - Crow Dog - Micro

Last edited by speedysk1 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:43 pm; edited 15 times in total
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Speedysk1! I was waiting for someone to make the first post. I have to say that I think in respect of the family we have to take care of our sport.

I can pick up the one that is around my area since that is close to me and then at the same time I am thinking that I might hit up the others in the park.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will pick up the one on Big Island tonight.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like if you do pick up one of these caches, you shouldn't post anything to the cache page....
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Sounds like if you do pick up one of these caches, you shouldn't post anything to the cache page....

Correct, do NOT post anything to any of the cache pages. If you retrieve one, please send me a PM so I can update this list. I'd prefer it not known who picks up which caches by posting to this thread either, but I'll leave that up to the individual cachers.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Sorry to hear about Dick K. I never met him but I found a number of these caches, which leads me to...
2. I can't promise any time frame but I should be able to get to several of these at some point.
3. If Groundspeak doesn't have a set policy for allowing adoption and/or archival when a cache owner passes, they should. This has to have been brought to their attention at some point over the years.
4. I believe the one active cache Rouster had at the time of his passing is still active. Should that one be retrieved as well? Any others like these out there?
5. Am I correct in assuming each cache will be archived once it is gone? Any comments from SJ?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:

4. I believe the one active cache Rouster had at the time of his passing is still active. Should that one be retrieved as well? Any others like these out there?
5. Am I correct in assuming each cache will be archived once it is gone? Any comments from SJ?

4. - I'm not sure what you mean exactly on this. Please elaborate.

5. All of the caches have been archived this morning. Does that mean they are were picked up? No, hence this list for our membership. Out of respect for the family we should clean up the caches, which are now "geo-trash" for them.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:

Re #5, they've all been archived by SJ already. http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55371#55371 Nobody's complained about Rouster's cache, so it should be left alone. Same with tricolor's.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:

3. If Groundspeak doesn't have a set policy for allowing adoption and/or archival when a cache owner passes, they should. This has to have been brought to their attention at some point over the years.

I don't know how "set" it is, but the policy is to let the cache listings stay active as long as the caches themselves seem to be in reasonable shape and are still in place. Dick K's cache listings were archived because his family requested them to be. Groundspeak no longer adopts out caches without consent of the current owner.
Quote:

As long as Rouster's cache is still in place and in reasonable condition, there is no need to archive it.
Quote:

5. Am I correct in assuming each cache will be archived once it is gone?

They already have been archived.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the thread where this started:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55379#55379

LucidOndine wrote:
I think at least one email needs to go to the family to have this done; then I think a cache rescue mission should be initiated. Perhaps the first cache can be picked up Wednesday Wink

That certainly probably isn't a bad idea, although I also get the idea that the family doesn't want to be involved in the caches at all (since they are requesting they be archived to eliminate the emails to the email account).

I would suggest that the board (to simplify things), or a designee of the board (speedy?), work with SJ to determine what would be the best course of action and take such action if necessary.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:
I think at least one email needs to go to the family to have this done; then I think a cache rescue mission should be initiated. Perhaps the first cache can be picked up Wednesday Wink

That certainly probably isn't a bad idea, although I also get the idea that the family doesn't want to be involved in the caches at all (since they are requesting they be archived to eliminate the emails to the email account).

The family has made it quite clear that they don't want to be involved and they don't want any email.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

The family has made it quite clear that they don't want to be involved and they don't want any email.

You're right. I retract my suggestion.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB, please stay healthy!
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
KB, please stay healthy!

OK, I really enjoyed that one.... Laughing
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
KB, please stay healthy!

Laughing Yikes, you'd have to take a day off work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: