MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I will never place another travel item out in the wild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - Another bug back from the grave...

Cab-Over Racer (TBQANE) last placed July 25, 2006 in western MN... Today, was grabbed in Iowa... Wierd, not a very far travel, and been missing over 4-years... Only 137 miles on the odometer, hoping for many more!!

Cool to see it back in play.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We placed our first coin in the wild on Friday, June 06, 2008. 10 states and 8921.5miles later, it shows up in the same cache we placed it in 29 months ago (which just happens to be our first hide here in the cities). They donít all go missing, and there are some cool cachers out there willing to take a little effort to make your day. Thanks fl2mn98 for bringing it full circle. Canít wait to see where it goes next.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
We placed our first coin in the wild on Friday, June 06, 2008. 10 states and 8921.5miles later, it shows up in the same cache we placed it in 29 months ago (which just happens to be our first hide here in the cities). They donít all go missing, and there are some cool cachers out there willing to take a little effort to make your day. Thanks fl2mn98 for bringing it full circle. Canít wait to see where it goes next.

Very cool!
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
purchased since two are rare coins (only 10 coins were made of one of them)

You have those? What event are you planning on attending next Laughing?
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't always the trackables that go missing. The third trackable I grabbed (10/2005) I held for a while until 2006 when my daughter living in Alaska came home to visit. I sent it to Alaska with her. It had a specific destination once there. She held it even longer than I did (6/2008). After I grouched at her, Mad she left it in a cache in Cordova. Someone moved it to another cache in the same city in the same month and year. There was no activity of the trackable for three years. Now in 2011 it has been grabbed and is traveling around with a cacher in Alaska who hopes to get it closer to its destination. When I looked at the owner's page this is what I read, "Not A Valildated Member." There hasn't been any activity from this owner since 2009.

mandm o
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad thing to get an e-mail telling you your TB or coin is no longer in the cache. I have grabbed trackables out of caches and not logged them right away or logged taking it, forgot about it and held it for too long. And I get it that some folks might take them not knowing what they are, but you would think the directions written on them would help. But what really gets under my skin is the TB of ours that was picked up and, according to the TB page, is still being held by the cacher. The cacher has logged in and is continuing to cache but will not respond to questions about if they have the TB or where they may have placed it.

All in all I look at it like wet socks, scratches and cockle-burs in the dogs fur; just one of those things that come with the good and help to make caching balanced.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhooHoo! Someone just finally dropped my 2010 MnGCA Red Canoe geocoin in a cache - it was released Sept 2010 and this is only the 3rd geocache it's been in. Out of the 15 trackables I've released, only 6 are still moving. 3 have been marked as missing. 6 are in other cachers hands. Surprising the very first one I released is the most active and has been moving around europe since May 2010 with 19000 miles on it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of my dogtag trackables where I had a duplicate tag, I rereleased every one of them that were confirmed missing. If the dupes go missing? That's all she wrote.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a TB show up after 2 years missing. I guess it was tucked away in a hidden compartment in there suite case the whole time.
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB resurfaced....after being in hibernation, it finally started making SOME process *cough cough*. I think it found another secret spot... Laughing

[urlhttp://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=1d827d46-adc5-4a67-afd8-3217e371aef1]It's sleeping...Smile[/url]
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one start moving again after being dormant for about 5 and a half years. Crazy.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_geomonkey wrote:
WhooHoo! Someone just finally dropped my 2010 MnGCA Red Canoe geocoin in a cache - it was released Sept 2010 and this is only the 3rd geocache it's been in. Out of the 15 trackables I've released, only 6 are still moving. 3 have been marked as missing. 6 are in other cachers hands. Surprising the very first one I released is the most active and has been moving around europe since May 2010 with 19000 miles on it.

Europe is the best place for TBs.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=25094
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a year and a half and nearly 3700 miles travelled, will one of my bugs achieve it's goal?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2439994
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES - Another bug back from the grave...

Stinkin' Badge Coin (TB1EY6B) last placed March 27, 2010 in Florida... It finally moved and was placed on February 22, 2013, and never left Florida those ~3 years... Weird, not a very far travel, and been missing just shy of 3-years... Just over 3,000 miles traveled, hoping for many more!!

Cool to see it back in play.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those guilty parties. Embarassed I had a geocoin at my desk. I was going to log it but it was late at night, I was very tired, and the codes I entered weren't working as the numbers and letters were a little worn, and even harder to see with the poor lighting at my desk. I set it aside for another day when I could use the sun and, if needed, a magnifying glass. Guess what I found five years later in some obscure location in my desk. The tracking code didn't seem that hard to read. I sent an e-mail off to the owner immediately and dropped the coin off in less than a week. So that is how some things go missing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: