MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I will never place another travel item out in the wild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen TB's with more than 75,000 miles so some do keep traveling. While I don't have too many TB's (one active, one Coin missing, one TB Missing) so 'm only batting about 33%, I am still game to send them out. They are still fun to follow, even if only for the one time someone picks it up and makes a comment. So I tried setting free another to compete in the Great TB Race of 2009 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bf388727-c52a-4be9-aaa1-58853466068d

Perhaps this one will stay around a while.
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 200 activated TBs and/or geocoins. More than 150 of them have been released into geocaches. Many have disappeared but some have reappeared after 6 month or more of inactivity. I plan to continue placing my travelers into caches and to continue moving others.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youch, this may be an all time record for futility. I launched a TB while in NC in September, then put the cache onto my watchlist. The cache is listed as being exactly 1000.0 miles from my home coords, so that is why I chose that cache.

Anyway, I placed the TB on 9/16 and watched...and waited. Finally, on 1/1 the cache saw two visitors (this cache is in a parking lot in a city). The finders said the small container was full, but nothing of taking or leaving a TB. Today, the next visitor reported the TB is not there. It is very possible the TB will have only the log of me dropping it down before I mark it as missing. Oh well.

I will continue to launch TB's and give them as stocking stuffers. It's the chance you take.
Nitro_R/T
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you had a TB that had been MIA for a year (or long enough to figure that it's never coming back), would you be able to redo it and "grab it from somewhere else" with the copy tag?
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it all the time- I have blank metal dog tag blanks- I just grab the bug from wherever it is- after trying to establish contact with the cacher listed as having it or asking the cache owner to see if it is in the listed cache. I have had responsible cache owners notify me that the bug is MIA from the cache due to the cache being destroyed or muggled. I have also renamed the tag and added a different hitch hiker - noting on the bug's page why I have done it. I engrave the number and name on the tag.

Last edited by eagleyes on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro_R/T wrote:
So if you had a TB that had been MIA for a year (or long enough to figure that it's never coming back), would you be able to redo it and "grab it from somewhere else" with the copy tag?

What about re-using geocoin tracking numbers after a coin is MIA? I've had bugs/coins show up after a year so I wait closer to the 2 year mark but then why not make use of those lost/wasted tracking numbers?
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Nitro_R/T wrote:

What about re-using geocoin tracking numbers after a coin is MIA? I've had bugs/coins show up after a year so I wait closer to the 2 year mark but then why not make use of those lost/wasted tracking numbers?

My better 1/2 found ???? mystery ?????? TB dog tags, online somewhere 5 for $10.00, or something like that.
you can stamp the tracking #'s on yourself.
kind of neat idea.

we have a couple travelers out there missing..........1 coin, and 1 TB.

the coin was my fault for placing it way to close to the state prk cache at Bear Head.......duh. Mad
the TB is coming up on 2 years missing.

i really like the way IBcrashin makes his travelers stand out. there is no mistaking that they are meant to be moved on, not kept!!!

Peace,
Joboo
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
i really like the way IBcrashin makes his travelers stand out. there is no mistaking that they are meant to be moved on, not kept!!

What does IBcrashin do with his travelers that make them so distinctive?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
joboo wrote:
i really like the way IBcrashin makes his travelers stand out. there is no mistaking that they are meant to be moved on, not kept!!

He drills them and attaches a padlock. I think there may be a tag attached as well explaining not to keep them. Most are also in plastic baggies I think with some paperwork.

The padlock makes it pretty clear though, even if one can remove it without too much pain (I'm just guessing here - no experience here).
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up on the plastic bags- and replaced many of other bugs- We hook the bug, hitch hiker, and a small laminated instruction sheet ( about 3x3 inches-) together with an electrical tie and hope for the best. keeping the copy tag lets me clone them easily-
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a situation once where the owner sent out the copy of a TB apparently before the first one was actually lost. I grabbed the TB, then when I went to grab it virtually, I discovered the TB was also in the hands of a cacher in another state. There were two TB's with the same number. Very confusing and frustrating. Needless also.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a Tbug go missing for years- so grabbed and cloned it and sent it out- the next year- the old one showed up in Enland and the clone was in TN. so I mailed the one in TN a new Tbug tag with new number and renamed it and he sent it on its way- no problem.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
joboo wrote:

He drills them and attaches a padlock. I think there may be a tag attached as well explaining not to keep them. Most are also in plastic baggies I think with some paperwork.

The padlock makes it pretty clear though, even if one can remove it without too much pain (I'm just guessing here - no experience here).

yup, just as PH says!!
some are padlocks, some are cables. he's got things marked with clear tags, (stating, PLEASE DO NOT KEEP. KEEP MOVING.) it's pretty simple to see, even for a newbie.
so if one goes missing it sure isn't his fault, and someone has to be a real jerk to take those things off!!
yes, i know those kinds of people are out there, but that's the way it goes.

Peace,
Joboo
Tuxedo Duck
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: lost or missing Reply with quote

About two years ago I discovered a geocoin or travelbug that was not in the cache that it was previously logged into. Another cacher accused me of stealing it.
I went back to my logs, to verify where I had discovered it. Who knows where it went, who took it, etc.
Since then, I rather move tb's and coins than post discoveries.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: lost or missing Reply with quote

Tuxedo Duck wrote:
About two years ago I discovered a geocoin or travelbug that was not in the cache that it was previously logged into. Another cacher accused me of stealing it.

I think only dumb cachers would discover a TB and then steal it. Only dumb cachers would refute that statement as well. Smile

I wouldn't worry about others accusing you of stealing it. You know that you didn't - that should be good enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: