MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepting Cache of the Month Nominations-February 2009

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Accepting Cache of the Month Nominations-February 2009 Reply with quote

Accepting Nominations...

Although I will accept nominations at any time, this thread is to remind everyone that I am accepting Nominations for Cache of the Month for February of 2009. You can submit COTM nominations to me using one of the following three methods…1) Send me a Private Message through MNGCA.org or 2) Send me an Email at Arch283Co@aol.com or 3) Post a nomination in this thread. Nominations need to be written in a way that gives the reader a spoiler-free description of what make the cache special. You must include the Cache Owner, Cache Name and Waypoint with your nomination. Your nomination must also include a brief write-up for the cache (at least a sentence...but I would prefer something a bit longer...I honestly think we are capable of writing a couple sentences or a nice paragraph).

A further explanation of the cache of the month process can be found Here!!!

Thanks,
ArcherDragoon
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is about time that Bart's Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A) is nominated for COTM. Actually, if I may, this series must be nominated as a whole. This series is more accessible for me than many other cachers, since I live in the south metro and the one cache that is not near the others is the closest to my house. Many cachers, however have made the trek out to this series. Each and every cache in the series was out of the ordinary and required a lot of effort to make and place. I did this with my dad, brother, and we each brought along our noncaching ladies, and even they enjoyed them all. There is not much more to say because words really cannot do justice to this series as a whole.
DonB!
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: TopGear's Evil cache-of-the-month Reply with quote

I would like to nominate "TopGear's Evil Island" as cache of the month.

I tried sending this for the January nominations, but somehow my computer could never stay connected long enough to complete the task. Now that I have a MAC it's never been a problem. Very Happy

GC1JV10
TopGear's Evil Island
Owner: TopGear Twisted Evil

Of all the caches placed in Minnesota (or at least the Metro area), none have drawn more people in such a quick time as this one. There were 19 DNFs before Grey WOlf finally made the FTF (and it was his 3rd time out there). This cache had 24 watchers watching it before it was even found.

If you read the logs, no one was upset about not finding it, but instead took the challenge and continued the search later on. Many logs tell about "all of the great new friends we met while out here", and that is one of the main reasons I nominate this as cache of the month: it brought many cachers together, under one cause, and furthered the reason I like Geocaching. THIS IS A FRIENDLY SPORT.

I have not found this one yet. TopGear stood there and watched me search, but he said, "No hints for YOU!"

Anyway, this is my official nomination.

DonB!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to nominate
GC1J555 by Meralgia

The Fun Side of Pflastad

This cache is not the hardest cache to find but it is just plain fun. This is a cache that should be done in the winter because of the winter style obstacle at the GZ. Also the challenge of navigating your way down the stairs.
You have to have special preparations to do this cache without ending up totally uncomfortable the rest of your geocaching day. It is also recommended to wait 2 or 3 days after a find to make your attempt to get the full effect.
It is rated Difficulty 1 Terrain 4 Fun 5
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, andrewmcc, for nominating "The Fun Side of Pflastad". I feel truly honored. Unfortunately, the legal aspect of the cache caused its demise (but not the demise of the original cache there... hmmm--makes ya wonder). Being nominated was a great honor, and for that I am thankful!!

Best of luck to TopGear and bflentje and any further February nominees!!
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should post this before I forget...

From Norvina:
I would like to nominate for Cache of the Month the following cache:
Halloween 2008 Bonus: Coughin Up A Lung GC1H32A placed by BFlentje. All logs have repeatedly mentioned this to be the best cache they have ever found and comment on the effort involved. I totally agree. It is part of the Halloween theme series, with much creativity and workmanship put into play, which makes this a perfect finale for the bonus. One is totally unprepared for this one!! Finding the other 12 to get the coordinates for this one is well worth the effort of any cacher! One only wonders how this can be outdone next year.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:
Thank you, andrewmcc, for nominating "The Fun Side of Pflastad". I feel truly honored. Unfortunately, the legal aspect of the cache caused its demise (but not the demise of the original cache there... hmmm--makes ya wonder). Being nominated was a great honor, and for that I am thankful!!

Meralgia,

I am sorry that this turned out that way it did...I am posting this publicly to clear the air and be upfront and honest with everyone and say that I held no ill-will towards you or this cache...as I shared with you in private, had I been in the area, I would have likely gone for this cache...

The question I asked in email was in response to questions asked of me as well as the circumstances that all came together...the end result was not what was wanted (as can be seen by the archival of a cache)...

Later,
Archer

Please refer any future talk about this cache (GC1J555) to another thread...thank-you.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:

I sense a new cache on the fun side of the river called "Karen and Paul's Legacy".
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to second "TopGear's Evil Island" ITS EVIL!!!!!!
mazzmn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: How Low Can You Go by JAKlimber for Cache of the Month Reply with quote

Everyone has low's and highs in geocaching, jaklimber has brought many highs to our caching crew with lots of creative hides.

I'd like to nominate GC1GM0E - How Low Can You Go for Cache of the Month. and encourage you all to hit it while it's still here. Note, as of this posting, this cache is on two bookmark lists, Favorite Caches and Cream of the Crop, so apparently others agree.
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA HA HA HA... "How Low Can You Go for Cache of the Month" - WOW! I read THAT wrong! Laughing
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How Low Can You Go by JAKlimber for Cache of the Month Reply with quote

mazzmn wrote:
Everyone has low's and highs in geocaching, jaklimber has brought many highs to our caching crew with lots of creative hides.

I'd like to nominate GC1GM0E - How Low Can You Go for Cache of the Month. and encourage you all to hit it while it's still here. Note, as of this posting, this cache is on two bookmark lists, Favorite Caches and Cream of the Crop, so apparently others agree.

LOL...I read it the wrong way as well...

"How Low Can You Go for Cache of the Month"...opps... Wink
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: MN Cache of the Month Nomination - GC1A6QN, Come to the Hol Reply with quote

My nomination is for GC1A6QN, "Come to the Holiday ball", a cache hide that you will probably not see again! As I collect more caches, I am seeing a lot of the same kind of hides over and over again. Last night while driving home with TylerDurden32, we passed a cache I had found a few months ago. As I remembered that cache, I had to share that cache with TD, and realized that this was a cache worthy of the MN Cache of the month!

"Come to the Holiday ball" is placed in a local environment in a very busy and well-traveled area that is accessible and challenging. The cache is well though out, and uses existing conditions to its advantage. The landscape also 'tricks' our caching senses, and sends us on the goose-chases of what we have found before. Some time and energy when into the crafting of the cache itself, and it shows in the execution.

To nominate an urban micro is a bold statement. The urban Twin City landscape is littered with countless small micro caches, many tucked in the nooks and creaks that catch the placers fancy. This "micropia" makes us cynical of the micros, which have their place in the caching world. Cacher Jakerdad has created a little micro masterpiece here in Edina for us to find. After finding the cache I say - long live the Micro!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MN Cache of the Month Nomination - GC1A6QN, Come to the Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
My nomination is for GC1A6QN, "Come to the Holiday ball"

I DNFed this cache last fall as it is muggle central. But today I stopped again and made the find as I was in the area visiting a client. While this is no Halloween cache Wink , this was a very nicely done urban micro that is in tune with some of those in my Caching Challenge series.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: