MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public Meetings for Aitkin Co Comprehensive Recreation Trail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Public Meetings for Aitkin Co Comprehensive Recreation Trail Reply with quote

Thought I would share this for those in the area that may be interested in attending.

Aitkin, MN) - Public meetings will be held on August 26th and 27th to preview the development of a Comprehensive Recreation Trail Plan for county-managed lands in Aitkin County.

The schedule and location of the meetings are:

6 pm on Wednesday, August 26th at McGregor School (148 South Second Street, McGregor, MN 55760)

6 pm on Thursday, August 27th at Hill City School (500 Ione Avenue, Hill City, MN 55748)

Each meeting will include a presentation by the Aitkin County Land Department about the trail resources currently available on county-managed lands and the alternatives being considered for recreation trail development and management.

The county manages more than 222,000 acres of public land. There are over 100 miles of designated ATV trails and over 600 miles of groomed snowmobile trails in the county. Trails are also available for cross-country skiing, horse riding, and hiking. The county is interested in planning for new and emerging recreation opportunities including water trails that would allow for expanded kayaking and canoe trips. There is also interest in geo-caching, a relatively new and growing recreation group.

The Aitkin County Land Department initiated the development of an updated Comprehensive Recreation Trail Plan in August 2008. An Ad hoc committee has helped inform the planning process over the past year.

The plan will guide recreation trail management activities on county-managed lands. Additional information is available at the Aitkin County Land Department website and by contacting the Land Department at 218-927-7364; acld@co.aitkin.mn.us.

The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
Gone Astray
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Aitkin Co. Comprehensive Trail Plan Reply with quote

I am on the ad hoc committee for this. It has kind seemed of slow moving, my end anyway. What I heard was a lack of funding for hiking trails and so on. But, a lot of county land that has possiblities and is not being used. This thread was previously posted under volunteer opportunities. They sounded interested it the flexible possibilities that geocaching brings.
Gone Astray
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Aitkin Co. Comprehensive Trail Plan Reply with quote

I think there are some real possibilities along the trail systems, water ways, and county forest lands to set up geocaching courses or other projects. Unfortunately, I work evenings and am not always available to go to these meetings. Anyone else interested in establishing something more in Aitkin County?
Gone Astray
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Aug. 26-27 presentation on the Aitkin County Comprehensive Trail Plan.

http://dovetailinc.org/files/u1/ACLDREcTrailPlan0809sm.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: