MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Vollunteers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would be willing to work with the staff at Sibley and Monson Lake again.

They were in the "in-between" range as far as how much was asked of me. Staff had picked out a location for one of the caches, and I suggested a slight tweak. On the other cache, I chose the specific location and the park manager suggested the hiding style. I went there a few times to check on the condition of the caches and the surrounding area. Park staff refilled the "baseball cards" as needed.
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, strike that. Sibley and Monson Lake do not want any help. They went ahead and set it up by themselves. At most, I would be going there to give it a test run, and to see if I can get better coordinates at one of them.

What is still available, if anything, at this late date? I know that the list in the first post is not accurate.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hayes Lake State Park Reply with quote

fargnot wrote:

Our geocaching relationship with the parks is still in the formative stage and I think it will reflect upon us how we decide to proceed with the next program, which is the critter caches. We can cut and run which sends a negative message about our organization or we can step up to the plate to help them out which will continue to build bridges. If we continue to work with them, then we have a future. I for one want to keep building stronger relationships and continue to be a positive ambassador for this sport which means so much to us. Very Happy Idea

Very well said.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically enough, my Savanna Portage cache got archived yesterday, and I'd never got around to finding it! I'd discussed the cache with the ranger several times by phone, and it sounded like they did a pretty good job with it. I'm comfortable that SP will do a good job with phase 2, but would be happy to work with them again.

Aside - I would like to see a description of travel bugs added to the cache page, as the Parks were the kiss of death for many TBs and coins. But I'm guessing since many muggles-turned-cacher simply grab the GPS at the park desk, perhaps this should be something that Park staff mention at the 'point-of-sale'. I also think that by now, most regular cachers would refrain from dropping bugs in State Park caches...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
Aside - I would like to see a description of travel bugs added to the cache page, as the Parks were the kiss of death for many TBs and coins. But I'm guessing since many muggles-turned-cacher simply grab the GPS at the park desk, perhaps this should be something that Park staff mention at the 'point-of-sale'. I also think that by now, most regular cachers would refrain from dropping bugs in State Park caches...

I'm guessing that most people that don't know what a travel bug is also aren't reading the cache page, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to include some sort of link to a TB explanation page on gc.com.

The bottom line is that people will continue to put TBs in the caches and there isn't much that's going to change it... Sad
zuma!
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Frontenac Reply with quote

Visited with the ranger at Frontenac yesterday again, and all is set there.

zuma
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is/did anyone find it a challenge to incorporate their critter into their cache? We're having a bit of time with that part and have a great idea but execution is a challenge. Ours is probably easier than some since it's a coyote but does anyone have any tips on how to make your critter part of your search other than something lame like sticking a paw print icon on a stage? Thanks!
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Is/did anyone find it a challenge to incorporate their critter into their cache? We're having a bit of time with that part and have a great idea but execution is a challenge. Ours is probably easier than some since it's a coyote but does anyone have any tips on how to make your critter part of your search other than something lame like sticking a paw print icon on a stage? Thanks!

Especially with the coyote, you could go to Posenville for some ideas... Wink
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is probably a long shot but, is their any geocachers that live near Split Rock Light house? The park is looking for a geocacher to help maintain their cache?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: