MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Vollunteers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, maybe a suggestion for them. They have 150 GPSrs now from BB. Why don't they send 1 to each park and have them do the work? Seems many others had similar experiences to mine. The parks don't seem to appreciate what we did for them last time around. I'm not trying to be rude here, but what's the point of having a volunteer now that they have GPSrs?

I can still smell the smoke from the burnt bridges.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

As can I. Although my experience wasn't a burning bridge one at all, I know others were. I know that some finders received some pretty cold receptions at some parks as well (Minneopa comes to mind immediately). The higher-up park management needs to get a better handle on some of this quick - before all of those bridges burn.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

As can I. Although my experience wasn't a burning bridge one at all, I know others were. I know that some finders received some pretty cold receptions at some parks as well (Minneopa comes to mind immediately). The higher-up park management needs to get a better handle on some of this quick - before all of those bridges burn.

Most of the rangers we ran into at the actual parks were great. There were a few that were just blatantly rude... Kathio and Nerstrand come to mind. The rangers at the parks I "helped" were polite enough but still completely wasted my time.

I'd be willing to help if they called me and requested something useful for me to do.
bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Not interested at St. croix. Reply with quote

I am not interested in working with St. Croix again (too far away from my work or home to help the park out)

I would be willing to help out at one closer to St. Cloud though. Maybe within an hour.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy to help Ft Snelling again this time. While my ranger is a go-getter and knows what she's doing she still took my suggestions. We did try to keep that cache a simple multi since it was a demo park and used for classes and first time cachers and the fact that it was a high traffic park. It's had over 375 finders. This time, after seeing what other parks did, I'd like to kick it up a notch and find a fun spot perhaps like the outhouse another park used!
herrwald
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Most of the rangers we ran into at the actual parks were great. There were a few that were just blatantly rude... Kathio and Nerstrand come to mind.

I was very surprised by the comment about Kathio. I have camped there many times and have always found the staff to be great.
As far as helping them this time around, I will have to decline.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the park staff was mixed. One park staff was wonderful to work with (Upper sioux) while the other staff (LQP) seemed to go out of their way to go against everything we were trying to do. I had even submitted a couple of caches for approval back in july, I have asked a few times about them and I still get the same answere from the park manager, I have to get the Naturalist to approve the sites before I can get either of them approved. After two months of trying I finally gave up on even trying anymore. Both caches were to be placed in areas I can't imagine would have been harmful to the environment. One was just a few feet off the trail and the other would have even been easily handicapped accesible. When you can't get any cooperation from the park management it seems they don't care about you anymore. Even When I was trying to move the final stage of the cache located there (it was right under one of the informational signs) the ranger even had a fit about where I had located it. I was tempted to tell him to just leave it under the sign and let a muggle walk off with it. After a half hour of argueing with him he found a spot that was agreeable but not a very ideal spot for it. Enough about that.

I would be more than happy to work with the staff at Upper sioux again. I would have to decline on LQP due to the park ranger.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I know that some finders received some pretty cold receptions at some parks as well (Minneopa comes to mind immediately). The higher-up park management needs to get a better handle on some of this quick - before all of those bridges burn.

Yep, that was the point I was trying to make. I know some had great experiences, and that's great, but it seems many did not. Now, my experience doing the challenge caches themselves was totally different. Most of the rangers were great and happy to have us in the park, Scenic and Hayes are 2 that come to mind. But, we didn't run into too many rangers while we were out. Since I didn't complete any of the regions, I didn't have too stop in the ranger offices.

Andrew, I really appreciate what your doing with Safari, but they need to meet us part way this time.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herrwald wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Most of the rangers we ran into at the actual parks were great. There were a few that were just blatantly rude... Kathio and Nerstrand come to mind.

I was very surprised by the comment about Kathio. I have camped there many times and have always found the staff to be great.
As far as helping them this time around, I will have to decline.

Wasn't the staff as a whole, just a single individual.. I should have been fair and mentioned that.

For some unknown reason, I am interested in hearing more about the new safari program. But I must admit that I am not likely to complete it. Although, I said the exact same thing about the challenge this year and I think I was #19 thereabouts in completing it.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to the people that have replied about their parks. I have passed on the feed back.
I still would like to hear back from the rest of you before I open up the positions to the rest of the membership.
Will the following geocachers let me know what you want to do and some feed back would be great.
Thanks andrewmcc

Jambro
dachebo
elfdoctors
Gone Astray
Froggy Baby 123
PassingWind
DLHCatcher
marbleeyes
weldor
handezman
merkman
Eskoclimber
ghost640
cushman Rider
uffda320
Proton
former hawkeye
Kurt Franke
woolychaps2
onionpond
fargnot
Not Yet
Momandson
roylake
GEO06
Lagrac
4egg07
altura
lizs
princessB
zuma!
accordiongal
k2geokids
msrubble
TheCollector
KBayNPapaBear
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Thank you to the people that have replied about their parks. I have passed on the feed back.
I still would like to hear back from the rest of you before I open up the positions to the rest of the membership.
Will the following geocachers let me know what you want to do and some feed back would be great.
Thanks andrewmcc

A lot of the people you list are not regular forum users, some have disappeared from the forums completely, and some never were on the forums to begin with. You may want to try contacting them directly (maybe through gc.com?)...
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Thanks andrewmcc

A lot of the people you list are not regular forum users, some have disappeared from the forums completely, and some never were on the forums to begin with. You may want to try contacting them directly (maybe through gc.com?)...

Aaagghhh, I was hoping not to do that.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I will help, and I will be contacting the Park Ranger.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I will help, and I will be contacting the Park Ranger.

Oops sorry, missed taking you off the list.
Andy
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, we had a meeting with Camden State Park, and have been given all the information that the park ranger had received currently about the new program, including finding out the 3 picks they are looking at for their critter. We were informed that they will be using the cache containers from the history challenge..with needs of removing all the labels and reference to BB from the container.. the parks will be picking up all the caches and any travelbugs and geocoins to be given to the cacher that helped the park to be placed in other caches to help continue their little goals. We were informed that any statepark travel bugs would be pulled out and returned to the park..it would be a good thing if they could edit the travel bug and add them back into the new program to continue having these bugs moving about.

We have not heard anything back from Split Rock Creek yet.. that park is a satalite park from blue mound. if whomever worked with blue mound has an email address we would sure appreciate it..if not we will be willing to let someone else help with that park if they wish to..

we have narrowed down a place for the new cache at Camden, but the ranger working with us is on vacation until the 5th, so the cache coordinates for that one may not be exactly in by the short noticed date of the 9th of january, but will do our best on that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: