MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing Geocaching to a non-geocaching event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellow Streak
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Bringing Geocaching to a non-geocaching event Reply with quote

I have been approached about the Relay for Life and an interest has been expressed about having some kind of Geocaching activity for the participants. They are loking for activities that would help draw people to the Isanti County Relay. Apparently they have various encampments that have different themes like games or food to sell, etc. What was suggested to me was that we could set up a booth with some educational items plus that we would have some temporary caches on the Fair Grounds and some GPS receivers available to let out to non-geocachers. This activity will start at 6:00 PM on Friday August 8th 2009 and go for 12 hours until 6:00 AM on Saturday morning. Would we be willing to man a booth for that amount of time?

My contact has indicated that there may be some monies available for advertising and publicity. From what I understand we can not have this on geocaching.com as an Event Cache because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocahers. It may be something that we could use forums and email lists to publicize amongst geocachers.

If this is something that would interest you, please let me know. Or if anyone has information and wisdom about this type of activity, let me know.

Thank, Yellow Streak

PS: The Isanti County Parks are interested in us having another Event in the Parks this Spring
Yellow Streak
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a camper so that participants could sleep in shifts.
Glow in the dark caches.
Just a couple of things that have been brought to my attention.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this to MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... I think that I might be willing to help, however I would be coming from a distance and I know that I have an out of state wedding around that time. I am not sure that I would lend out a GPS when you think about how much people invest in a GPS (I know my Oregon wouldn't leave my side). I would check with some organizations and see if they could loan some or I would recommend having a cacher follow the GPS.

I know for campers, Pleasureland RV in Saint Cloud has lent out RVs out to nonprofit events. You should give them a call.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: