MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Penturen Church GCKN93
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Penturen Church GCKN93 Reply with quote

Putting out a call to see if anyone has any information about this cache. It is obviously accessible in the winter via sled and ATV. But it the road accessible by 4x4? Tesser posted a picture of a closed gate with a caption of 3.7 miles. Where exactly is the gate and is it locked?

Any information you have would be great.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found this one during the fall so I could not give any advise on winter caching this one. Other than that the hide is not winter friendly but since the container is an ammocan it should not be impossible to find.

If you look at the cache in Google maps aereal view you'll see the forest road leading to the cache, it takes you within 200 ft of the cache. If you backtrack that road up north and out the east towards "Dicks pkwy". That is the approach we took to the cache. From that forest road entrance off "Dicks pkwy" it shouldn't be more than 1-1.5 miles to the cache as the bird flies or 2 miles following the road. So even if there would be a gate, it would be completely doable by just hiking in.

It wasn't possible to use the autorouting to drive to this one, that small forest road was not marked on any maps or at least not correctly marked. It might be good to make a waypoint in the GPS looking at the aereal view at home for where the entrance is as it's easy to miss. We drove past it once before we spotted it. It's a rough road in warm weather but not enough to cause any problems to drive with a car. It sounds like Tesser might've approached from the north forest road entrance if she had 3.5 miles to go at the entrance road.

That's all I got.

-Jonas
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one in mid summer if I recall correctly. Given it's location and the drive as I remember it, I wouldn't attempt it if there's much more than an inch on the ground, gate open or not. I'd be very surprised if there's any cell service there if you got stuck/stranded, and I'd also be surprised if the road in is plowed - there's *nothing* on the road except for the church.

This is a cache best done in the non-winter month(s) due to the access issues.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a challenge... 4x4, snowshoes, and backpack. In any event, there is a north bound trip planned sometime first week or two in January to finish up my last two counties and last five DeLorme pages. I might swing by this one just to check it out. The posted pictures kind of remind me of these two caches I did last year..

Rosa's Cache
Wayside Chapel
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cache is one of my top 10 for sure, not because of the geocache but because of the church (and really it's location and history).

If you go in the winter, I'd be fully prepared for anything, including telling someone of your plans so that they know where to find you if you break down or something.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found this one in non-winter months, it was cold out, remember that. Was able to drive out the road, which was pretty much a one track road, with some wider areas for vechicles to pass. Couple other areas that looked like campsites, or where people had some stuff set up for hunting in that area, not sure what they were hunting for.

From google earth, it looks like just over one mile straight west hike bushwacking the whole way will get you to the cache. Guessing that most of the wet areas will be pretty hard, but be careful. No idea on what the snow cover looks like up there but it would be fun to try in a truck. Suggest like Pear Head that if you do go for it, you have someone paying attention to your return time or a call when you get back to civilization so they know if they need to send in some help.

That area at the turn around, where the church is full of some cool stuff, and was fun to walk around and explore, so if you do get back in there, give it all a look.

Good luck, and have fun.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Now I just need to find a sucker that wants to go on a trip.

January 3rd-4th, anyone need to cover the toughest DeLorme pages?
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in November before the roads were buried. I drove right to the church. The forestry road I drove north on was east of the church, the secondary road I drove west on was north of the church, and I drove south on the last road.

Its well worth the trip but I have no idea if the forestry roads are plowed in the winter.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart - I dunno if you made it North or not, but I tried on the Church twice and in the winter I missed the road from the north (dunno if gate was locked or not) and my autorouting took me 1 mile east of it, but to no road at all. Bushwacking that last mile would be very difficult. The forest is thick there. In the Spring at the north entrance, on Winner Road, the gate was locked, so no 4X4 truck to the cache. I found the north entrance after studying the aerial photo. The drive to the entrance was gorgeous, but very slow driving. I don't advise this cache on a "run up north." You need to give it time. The drive in and out on the dirt roads alone takes an hour. Someone else skied to the Church in winter. You can see the pics posted. If you did Hayes Lake SP, I believe you have this Delorme page. Good luck, if you try it!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this painting at Itasca SP over the Memorial Day weekend. Both my dad and myself saw it from across the room and both thought "Penturen". Closer inspection yielded a neat answer for us.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pear_head/6081284095/

Definitely one of my favorite caches of all time - caching brings you to some pretty neat spots.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart, Which pages are you looking at up there? We have a sissy truck and a little bitty car, so those kind of roads scare us off. I've looked at that cache listing as well and it looks really cool. Not afraid of a long snowshoe hike.

We should have a better idea of our remaining needs come the end of October. Looks like our toughest challenge will be filling in the northwest border counties while trying to get those delorme pages. Not tons of caches over that way.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
Bart, Which pages are you looking at up there? We have a sissy truck and a little bitty car, so those kind of roads scare us off. I've looked at that cache listing as well and it looks really cool. Not afraid of a long snowshoe hike.

We should have a better idea of our remaining needs come the end of October. Looks like our toughest challenge will be filling in the northwest border counties while trying to get those delorme pages. Not tons of caches over that way.

Sorry, I maybe should have noted it in my post... This thread is actually about 3 years old.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head slap! Rolling Eyes
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Sorry, I maybe should have noted it in my post... This thread is actually about 3 years old.

If it's on topic and productive, works for me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing this cache in the summer you should have no problem driving your toy car Wink In the winter, don't try it. I'll have to go back and read my post to see how much I exaggerated. One thing is for sure, it's very remote but very cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: