MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Predictions for Garmin 60CSx
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Predictions for Garmin 60CSx Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering buying a 60CSx with the holiday prices that I see. I haven't been looking until recently, are prices around $270-$290 exceptional? Has anyone heard of any major updates or design changes for the 60CSx? If there are changes in the works will the present 60CSx be selling even cheaper? I can limp by with what I have for now, but when I can get a excellent price for a good gps, I'd like to purchase a new one. I like the size, apparent durability, and capabilities of the Garmin 60CSx (by what I have read) since I have not actually used one or had one in hand. Suffering from "hole in the pocket syndrome" and a little too much fighting with present GPSr.

LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the 60CSx is an excellent GPSr unit. It is as accurate (and depending on who you ask, maybe even a little more accurate) than the top of the line Garmin Oregons (for reasons of having a quad helix & coordinate averaging for cache placement hiding).

With that being said, holiday prices that low are exceptional! Be sure to make use of the 40% off coupon before the end of the year.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Predictions for Garmin 60CSx Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
I'm seriously considering buying a 60CSx with the holiday prices that I see. I haven't been looking until recently, are prices around $270-$290 exceptional? Has anyone heard of any major updates or design changes for the 60CSx? If there are changes in the works will the present 60CSx be selling even cheaper? I can limp by with what I have for now, but when I can get a excellent price for a good gps, I'd like to purchase a new one. I like the size, apparent durability, and capabilities of the Garmin 60CSx (by what I have read) since I have not actually used one or had one in hand. Suffering from "hole in the pocket syndrome" and a little too much fighting with present GPSr.

I bought mine from Amazon not long after the Colorado came out and I was able to find it for $225. I haven't looked recently, but prices may have gone up as people switched back to the 60. Wink As for updates, I don't think they will be updating the 60 going forward. I think Garmin is hitching their wagon to the colorado and oregon lines.

Finally, I really like the 60CSx, it's very durable and rugid. The 60 also does averaging if you like to place hids, the colorado and oregons do not currently support this. You won't be disappointed with the 60CSx. I suppose I should also say that you also won't be disappointed, too much, by the Oregon or Colorado. Wink

Cheers
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an Oregon or Colorado to do averaging if you really want to. But why do that when you get such a perfect reading from them the first time. Very Happy You were there after BB finding the ones IMP hid with his Oregon, seems the one he did with the Oregon had no issues. Wink
two of hearts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased 6 of the 60csx units for family members and they all like the unit. Ease of operation, very dependable, great signal and takes a beating. In fact I just bought my wife a new one for Christmas, you will not be disappointed. Very Happy
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two of hearts wrote:
I have purchased 6 of the 60csx units for family members and they all like the unit. Ease of operation, very dependable, great signal and takes a beating. In fact I just bought my wife a new one for Christmas, you will not be disappointed. Very Happy

How do I get on your xmas list? Very Happy
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
There is no doubt that the 60CSx is an excellent GPSr unit. It is as accurate (and depending on who you ask, maybe even a little more accurate) than the top of the line Garmin Oregons (for reasons of having a quad helix & coordinate averaging for cache placement hiding).

With that being said, holiday prices that low are exceptional! Be sure to make use of the 40% off coupon before the end of the year.

I went to three Best Buys and none of them had the 60Csx on hand, though I did see it on their website.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the coupon is for in store purchases only and can not be used on-line.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
I believe the coupon is for in store purchases only and can not be used on-line.

This is true, and the reason Best Buy did not get my business. Sad
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:

I thought I read somewhere (these forums?) that a store could get one for you even if they didn't stock it. Maybe I did read it or maybe I'm mistaken...?
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks Will pickup 60CSx Reply with quote

I'm going to go for it. It sounds like Best Buy could use the coupon even if they ordered it for me; the sales associate wasn't positive. By the time that I paid for the taxes, which has to be on the pre-sale amount, and the gas to get to the store; I can get it cheaper from Amazon which now has their handheld Garmins on sale, I won't pay taxes, and shipping will be free.

I'll fess up with why I am looking for another GPS. When the toggle switch on my Explorist 500 broke so it would no longer toggle to the right I bought a used Explorist 600 from the Groundspeak garage sale. Because of a glitch in the software for it, I called Magellan about the problem I was having and they sent me a new Triton 500. I just needed to send in the 600 to them. The Triton has its issues. To keep my BP down it would be better used as a backup. For anyone with a Triton, tritonforum.com is an absolute necessity.

My 500 is still my favorite GPS. I need to use a card reader and computer to load waypoints on it but I think I have about 3000 waypoints broken down by category for quick access plus a very user friendly topo/street map on my 2 GB SD card. Thankfully the 500 still toggles down.

jerpete
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woodbury Best Buy had a couple of 60CSX's there when I bought my Colorado (which still seems to work fine and doesn't wander of on it's own)
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Will pickup 60CSx Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:

My 500 is still my favorite GPS. I need to use a card reader and computer to load waypoints on it but I think I have about 3000 waypoints broken down by category for quick access plus a very user friendly topo/street map on my 2 GB SD card. Thankfully the 500 still toggles down.

If you are interested I used a 500 until my switch to the Colorado then to the Oregon and might be willing to sell it fairly reasonable. PM me if you are interested.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:

I thought I read somewhere (these forums?) that a store could get one for you even if they didn't stock it. Maybe I did read it or maybe I'm mistaken...?

i think i saw that in these forims also, and that's why i called BB Duluth
on Tues., and they said they would order the 60csx. it will take 10 to 15 days but they'll do it.

Peace,
Joboo
divercth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can pre-purchase with the coupon and then pick up in store?

I'm going to be in Tennessee in a week, but I'd like to be able to lock in an upgrade from my eTrex Legend before then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: