MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wildflower82
Geocacher


Joined: 12 Aug 2008

Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: List of MN State Parks Wildlife Safari Cache Coordinates Reply with quote

As geocaching.com is still down and for those that would like to continue the MN State Parks Wildlife Safari challenge through this 4th of July weekend, here is a list of the first stage coordinates (valid as of 6/17/09):

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/geocaching/safari_geo_coords.pdf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tesser
Geocacher


Joined: 24 May 2006

Posts: 158
Location: Maplewood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a park worker at Fort Snelling tell me yesterday that it may be possible that the parks will move all of the caches in the second and third years, and change the critter cards. That would give people the chance to do the Safari Challenge three times. You could still complete in three years, as you'd have any one of three different cards from each park.

Has any one else heard of this? I really didn't need to hear that as I am closing in on finishing again this year, and don't need the encouragement/lure to do them all again. And again. And again.

BTW, a plug for a Garden Island trip this SATURDAY, SEPT 19th. We have room for 4-5 more in our boat. If intererested, please respond, or email me (tesser) or she_wolf asap. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
I had a park worker at Fort Snelling tell me yesterday that it may be possible that the parks will move all of the caches in the second and third years, and change the critter cards. That would give people the chance to do the Safari Challenge three times. You could still complete in three years, as you'd have any one of three different cards from each park.

Has any one else heard of this? I really didn't need to hear that as I am closing in on finishing again this year, and don't need the encouragement/lure to do them all again. And again. And again.

BTW, a plug for a Garden Island trip this SATURDAY, SEPT 19th. We have room for 4-5 more in our boat. If interested, please respond, or email me (tesser) or she_wolf asap. Thanks!


I have not heard anything about that. I think it is highly doubtful. They are really opposed to changing the rules anytime during a project. I will make inquiries though.
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timewellspent
Geocacher


Joined: 19 Mar 2008

Posts: 700
Location: Chanhassen, MN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
tesser wrote:
I had a park worker at Fort Snelling tell me yesterday that it may be possible that the parks will move all of the caches in the second and third years, and change the critter cards. That would give people the chance to do the Safari Challenge three times. You could still complete in three years, as you'd have any one of three different cards from each park.

Has any one else heard of this? I really didn't need to hear that as I am closing in on finishing again this year, and don't need the encouragement/lure to do them all again. And again. And again.

BTW, a plug for a Garden Island trip this SATURDAY, SEPT 19th. We have room for 4-5 more in our boat. If interested, please respond, or email me (tesser) or she_wolf asap. Thanks!


I have not heard anything about that. I think it is highly doubtful. They are really opposed to changing the rules anytime during a project. I will make inquiries though.


It would make sense for them to do that thou. I can't see myself going back to a State Park I have already found the only cache in unless they archive and place a new one. 3 Years is a long time to not have those return visits....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4015

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed the challenge last year and 4/5 completing the new challenge this year. I am not likely to ever again visit every park just to say I've done it. Twice IS IT even though I originally said once was enough.

I have however been noting which parks I am going to return to with the family. The second challenge definately helped me polish my list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nestaron&Aranel
Geocacher


Joined: 06 Oct 2009

Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: how we were able to finish Reply with quote

This is the first time we've seen this forum. We read that alot of people were wondering how we were able to finish if the Garden Island cache wasn't posted at the time we finished. Like everyone else, we were watching the caches. We would hit 12-20 on some weekends leaving Fridays and making it home late on Sunday nights, some weekday caching and even on Memorial weekend we did 33. Along the way on our final weekend of caching (everything except the Garden Island) we had found out that they were doing an alternate cache for those who visited Garden Island last year. If you could show your card from the History challenge, you could get the coordinates for an alternate Garden Island cache located in Zipple Bay State Park. So, we asked at one of the State Parks and the rangers confirmed it. This was nice to hear since we had spent over $200 just to get to Garden Island last year by hiring a bait runner to get us there. Anyways, we found out about the alternate cache after we had already made our trip to Zipple Bay. We live about 7-8 hours from Zipple Bay and so we planned the next weekend to go back for the final cache. A ranger from one of the State Parks had, on his own, informed the DNR previously of us and our story, and they had contacted us to see if we really were that close to finishing. They knew ahead of time that we would be going to Zipple Bay and once we showed them all of our Wildlife Safari Challenge cards along with last years cards, they gave us the coordinates for our journey to the alternate Garden Island cache. We decided in the beginning that if we couldn't finish 3rd or better this year, then we wouldn't go crazy like we did last year. Once we put our minds to it, that was it... Well, hope this clears some things up, if there are any other questions, just let us know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tesser
Geocacher


Joined: 24 May 2006

Posts: 158
Location: Maplewood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who else has finished? The DNR is listing some, but not all.

I was with She_wolf when she finished, and I finished a few days later. It's really weird not having a final cache - so I added a thread to make your claim!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4015

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
Who else has finished? The DNR is listing some, but not all.

I was with She_wolf when she finished, and I finished a few days later. It's really weird not having a final cache - so I added a thread to make your claim!


I am 11 away.

I miscounted. I only have 9 left to complete.


Last edited by bflentje on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All
I am attending a update meeting with the DNR Safari folks next week. I just wanted to get any feed back you may have to bring to the meeting. You may post here or PM me.
Thanks in advance.
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Jan 2003

Posts: 1145
Location: Champlin, MN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Hello All
I am attending a update meeting with the DNR Safari folks next week. I just wanted to get any feed back you may have to bring to the meeting. You may post here or PM me.
Thanks in advance.

Next time, don't submit so many caches. Wink
_________________
"Hi, I'm Moe, or as the women know me - Hey! You in the bushes."
-Moe, The Simpsons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4015

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Hello All
I am attending a update meeting with the DNR Safari folks next week. I just wanted to get any feed back you may have to bring to the meeting. You may post here or PM me.
Thanks in advance.


Has the state parks considered non-safari geocaches that are wheelchair accessible? I ask because it looks like the Alabama state park system is doing just that. I don't know the percentage of handicapped geocachers or state park visitors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CharleneMae
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Apr 2009

Posts: 45

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what critter the 2010 wild card is? The DNR state park website still lists the otter 2009 wild card. Just curious as to what I should be on the lookout for this year as we complete the Wildlife Sarfari caches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4015

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
Does anyone know what critter the 2010 wild card is? The DNR state park website still lists the otter 2009 wild card. Just curious as to what I should be on the lookout for this year as we complete the Wildlife Sarfari caches.


I got offcial word from Fort Snelling that there is a new wild card for 2010 and that parks have already been placing them. They would not tell me what it was.. said I had to go find one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4015

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norvina and I officially completed the Safari Challenge yesterday. Actually completed it last Sunday but only went and got our milestone cards and coins yesterday.

I know we can't possibly be the only cachers out there who've completed both the History and Safari challenges. Anyone else out there want to chime in? Woohoo..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
loneeagle_24
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Jun 2003

Posts: 874
Location: Montevideo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
Does anyone know what critter the 2010 wild card is? The DNR state park website still lists the otter 2009 wild card. Just curious as to what I should be on the lookout for this year as we complete the Wildlife Sarfari caches.


It is a turtle. I can't remember the exact one, but I have one of the cards at home. Got one a couple of weeks ago @ MN Valley rec area.
_________________
King of the Jeff Gordon TB's!
They put that cache WHERE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.