MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 12 parks done so far and the cords have been off quite a bit in some parks, right on in others. Moose Lake was disappointing to not have the first stage in place on May 3rd. I had a talk with the park officer at Whitewater about the placement of the final. It seemed to send mixed messages. He was gonna fix that. Got my first 10 parks card. I wasn't watching for wild cards. Might have missed some.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
I have 12 parks done so far and the cords have been off quite a bit in some parks, right on in others. Moose Lake was disappointing to not have the first stage in place on May 3rd. I had a talk with the park officer at Whitewater about the placement of the final. It seemed to send mixed messages. He was gonna fix that. Got my first 10 parks card. I wasn't watching for wild cards. Might have missed some.

Believe it or not...but the Final Placement at Whitewater came from the Park Managers themselves...

Edit: Just to add for clarification for those that have not visited Whitewater yet...it is about 35-40ft on the other side of a Closed Trail sign...I hope to work with them this weekend to make a change to that cache...
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two issues with the William O'Brien multi, GC1P512. A hole was drilled in an informational kiosk and a LARGE hole, maybe 5" x 11" x 8" was carved out of a stump that's still in the ground. Do groundspeak rules not apply to the State Parks?
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:
I have two issues with the William O'Brien multi, GC1P512. A hole was drilled in an informational kiosk and a LARGE hole, maybe 5" x 11" x 8" was carved out of a stump that's still in the ground. Do groundspeak rules not apply to the State Parks?

It isn't defacing property if the land owner is the one doing it.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stump u speak of, is that the resting spot of the cache container it self?
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the large hole in the stump is the final's "hide".

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

"Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method."
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see. did u need 2 use something pointy 2 dig the cache out? is the cache below ground level? not being smart here just asking. i see ur point on them using a tool 2 make the hole. how tall is the stumpage? Scenic S.P. here 2 the north has a final just like the one u speak of. except, time made the hole in the stump not some kind of tool. it's about 2' tall. they covered it with birch bark and leaves. IMHO i think using stumps in this way is ok. then again that's just me. Peace
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method."

That means don't go drilling a hole in a lamp post in the Walmart parking lot.

If you want to bury a cache in your back yard and have people digging up your property to look for it, I will gladly publish the cache. My only concern would be worrying about copycats thinking they could do the same thing on property that wasn't theirs.

FWIW, this is the first I knew how that particular cache was hidden.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
Quote:

That means don't go drilling a hole in a lamp post in the Walmart parking lot.

If you want to bury a cache in your back yard and have people digging up your property to look for it, I will gladly publish the cache. My only concern would be worrying about copycats thinking they could do the same thing on property that wasn't theirs.

FWIW, this is the first I knew how that particular cache was hidden.
so, if i run across a sweet stump deep in the woods with the center rotted as 2 where i can scoop it out with my hands, i can't use it 4 a hide? again i'm not being smart, just asking. i have a couple stumps in mind and i want 2 make sure it's all good. 1 more question b4 i get back 2 work here... so... drilling a 1/2 in. hole in a live tree 2 place a cache inside said hole is a no no? i don't plan on doing that, but have found some like that in the past.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:

The stump in question was one they were going to remove anyway. They were going to bring back to the shop and make a cavity and bring it back out there. It is in an area that can flood so the idea was to be able to move it if need be. I think they got lazy and just did it in place.

The sign post was my idea with their approval.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:
the large hole in the stump is the final's "hide".

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

Do we have to go over this again? A hole in a rotten log hurts nothing but a bunch of maggots and worms.. Wink
silkaphyllis
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the stump at William O'Brien wasn't removed and is currently growing new shoots.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all understand the concerns...but, as Surfer_Joe stated, it is their choice to do it to their own property...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we all agree that trees don't have feelings and that no matter what we're told, there is NO shortage of trees in MN?? Just came from the great north and hundreds of pictures to prove it.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Can we all agree that trees don't have feelings and that no matter what we're told, there is NO shortage of trees in MN?? Just came from the great north and hundreds of pictures to prove it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now I gotta clean off my computer screen...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: