MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 State Park's Geocaching Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
15Tango wrote:
GC1P4ZV St. Croix Islands/Boom Site Wildlife Safari has gone MIA and apparently there are no plans to replace it. It needs to be either disabled or archived - I know I wasted 45 minutes of my life I'll never get back looking for it.

You should mark it with a SBA log. That would get their attention. Wink

Done.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found a 2011 wild card yet? What "critter" is this year's?

Also, has anyone heard if there will be a new geocaching program or challenge next year?
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:

Also, has anyone heard if there will be a new geocaching program or challenge next year?

It's a Dragon Fly
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:

There will be a new program. Details are in the works.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has been mentioned before somewhere, but if you are close to finishing the 72 park challenge, you may want to check in advance if the park you are going to will have the final 72 park coin. We finished it about a week or two ago and at the time Ft. Snelling did not have any of the coins. They have since got more in, although I ended up getting the last of this batch. I have been told by multiple sources that they are not actively making more coins since the program is nearing the end, so I think they are just shifting the inventory between the parks that have them (Demo parks are supposed to be the ones that have them)

Interestingly one ranger told me that Mille Lacs Kathio seems to have one of the larger supplies of them, she really didn't know why that park had so many.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I think it has been mentioned before somewhere, but if you are close to finishing the 72 park challenge, you may want to check in advance if the park you are going to will have the final 72 park coin. We finished it about a week or two ago and at the time Ft. Snelling did not have any of the coins. They have since got more in, although I ended up getting the last of this batch. I have been told by multiple sources that they are not actively making more coins since the program is nearing the end, so I think they are just shifting the inventory between the parks that have them (Demo parks are supposed to be the ones that have them)

Interestingly one ranger told me that Mille Lacs Kathio seems to have one of the larger supplies of them, she really didn't know why that park had so many.

It'd be easier for you to drive to DNR HQ in St. Paul than drive to Kathio. Make an appointment, they will let you in. Wink
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:

The reason given to me was that since Mille Lacs Kathio was the mandatory ending place for the previous History Challenge, they thought most people would end their Safari Challenge there as well. What they did not account for is that with no "Final Cache", people could finish wherever they want.

Sidenote IMHO, I hope they implement another mandatory final cache upon completion of their next challenge. This way people can follow along online and read people's logs after they finish the challenge. Plus, it gives a bigger sense finality for the person completing the challenge.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
Sidenote IMHO, I hope they implement another mandatory final cache upon completion of their next challenge. This way people can follow along online and read people's logs after they finish the challenge. Plus, it gives a bigger sense finality for the person completing the challenge.

I 100% agree. Though my wife would literally strangle me if I went around a third time. Shocked I thought the finish of the Safari caches was a HUGE let down. When I turned in all of my cards, there was no fanfare. I wanted them to dance around like they did for the history challenge. Wink
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:

The reason given to me was that since Mille Lacs Kathio was the mandatory ending place for the previous History Challenge, they thought most people would end their Safari Challenge there as well. What they did not account for is that with no "Final Cache", people could finish wherever they want.

I will pass on the suggestion. The new one is in the pipeline now.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I will pass on the suggestion. The new one is in the pipeline now.

Excellent to hear. I'm anxious to hear the details (when you can release some)!
DLGPS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the safari cache challenge better than the history challenge because you didn't have to back track to get the regionals and the final. Having to do that was a pain to plan around. I liked being able to go in the order that we wanted to as we traveled around the state.

So I personally hope that they don't make the next series like the history challenge.

I do agree though that it was nice to be able to see the logs as people completed the regional caches and especially fun to see the final cache logged in the history challenge.

What about a puzzle cache or one of the new-fangled challenge caches (that I don't know anything about) to just virtually log for the 10, 20, 40, 60 and all state park caches? (Although there may be some geocaching.com guidelines that won't allow a puzzle cache without an actual log. Multi-cache?)

And as far as the "fanfare" at the end... We had a fantastic reception at Afton when we turned all of our cards in. Very nice for a busy close-to-the-cities park. They took our picture with their camera and wrote down our names, handles, email information and a few notes about what we considered our high-lights of the second time around. (And the picture they took with our camera make us look like we had found all 72 caches that day!) Very Happy

Can't wait for the next state park challenge to start. It will be our 4th time around to all the parks! First time was 2002 to 2004 when we did the passport club and hiking club. Hope the next challenge is about birds! One of the best parts about geocaching in the state parks is all the birds we see while hiking.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLGPS wrote:
I liked the safari cache challenge better than the history challenge because you didn't have to back track to get the regionals and the final. Having to do that was a pain to plan around. I liked being able to go in the order that we wanted to as we traveled around the state.

Agreed on the elimination of the "Regional Finals", but I think having a single mandatory final cache would be nice. Where do you put it though??? Kathio was central for the state, but I'ld bet that a metropolitan location like Fort Snelling would be nice too for the assumed majority of the participants (but that's for a different thread Wink )
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that the Safari challenge will be extended? I haven't gotten the caches in the NE part of the state. Only chance I have to do that now is Memorial weekend. Would still like to get those caches if I can. Who can talk to the state and have them extend it till the end of May? Have to try anyway.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Any chance that the Safari challenge will be extended? I haven't gotten the caches in the NE part of the state. Only chance I have to do that now is Memorial weekend. Would still like to get those caches if I can. Who can talk to the state and have them extend it till the end of May? Have to try anyway.

Sorry, it will not be extended. The new program should start near the beginning of May.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: