MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardest Geocaches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnGGeo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Hardest Geocaches Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew of any from personal experience or just plain out knew of some very hard geocaches. I would like a Terrain challenge as well as difficulty. In the minneapolis area.
URL's of these caches would be helpful.
Thanks
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a pocket query of caches that had a 4 or higher in difficulty and terrain ratings and it only came up with one cache within a 20 mile radius of zip code 55406 which is Minneapolis. Here is the cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c1ed9ad8-de33-4275-bd73-f438a1786102
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good 3.5 difficulty with 4 terrain that is on my DNF list is this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e9810d84-34fb-4d7a-80d1-a414f9e507a9
Here is another that I hear is a lot of fun. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=65901752-b758-4ca7-ac72-31d7254cf930
This has a 4.5 terrain and give you an awesome view. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd961d92-785d-483f-8d9c-d50b8a94da2d

Of course with all the puzzle cache creators in the area you should have no problem in finding higher difficulty caches if you take the time to do some solving.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bluffs along the rivers have several tough terrain caches. There are a few in the Richard T Anderson conservation area in Eden Prairie that have taken the wind out of me. I have not done these specific two myself but I've done previous ones in the same area:
Breathless Hill - GC1DWHD
Summit View Multi - GC1DWHQ

This cache in the bluff area of Bloomington has a little bit of terrain to it:
Way up the creek - GCB4CB

For a combination of a hike and some tricky hides, the Sunfish Lake area in Lake Elmo have the perfect combination. There are some 15 caches in that park which will take a couple of hours of hiking to find and some of those caches will take a bit of searching to find. This one is close to where the parking is:
Give me a head with hair - GC1BA89

For difficulty, this is one close to the Sunfish lake area is pretty tough. I still have not found that one.
Down & Dirty - GC14N6V

This list of MnGCA Cache of the Month caches will contain a few tough ones. http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=bd7c20fa-83d0-44cc-ab4b-f46d2b9ca329. It contains caches all across the state, but if you've entered your home coordinates at GC.com you should be able to use the distance to find the metro ones.

-Jonas
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try some of theGilby4 "ACRO" caches, will give you a nice walk around some cool parks, then finding the caches get interesting.
These are on the west side of town, just outside the 494 ring.

Was out along some of the minneapolis bluffs along the river last weekend, was nice and quite the "excersice" getting up and down the slippery bluffs. Just watch your step, some of those places are a long way down... At least two bouncers!!!

Still want to get down to Ravine Park in Cottage Grove, looks to be some nice terrain ratings...

Have fun...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
try some of theGilby4 "ACRO" caches, will give you a nice walk around some cool parks, then finding the caches get interesting.
These are on the west side of town, just outside the 494 ring.

Was out along some of the minneapolis bluffs along the river last weekend, was nice and quite the "excersice" getting up and down the slippery bluffs. Just watch your step, some of those places are a long way down... At least two bouncers!!!

Still want to get down to Ravine Park in Cottage Grove, looks to be some nice terrain ratings...

Have fun...

Cottage Grove Ravine Park isn't greater than a 3 at any point unless you're climbing a tree or crawling into a culvert, swamp, or somethin..
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1d7d8d04-7494-4af7-aacc-4a9094b1b901

it is an island and is hard, 4/5.

Topgear did this one good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: