MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website Enhancements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Website Enhancements Reply with quote

The MnGCA website (include forums) will be down on Friday, November 28th in the late afternoon/evening for upgrades.

It's anticipated that the site will be down approx 5pm for about a half hour, but it could be earlier/later/longer/shorter than that as well.

The upgraded site will utilize the same forum software that we're using now but the front page (main site) will be totally different. Your password for the new site and forums will be the same as what your password for the *forum* is now (for those of you that use two different passwords).

There may be issues for some people logging on to the new site for the first time. If you have problems, try clearing your browser cookies and then restarting your browser.

This and further information will be posted to the front page of the new site when it comes online.

Last edited by Pear Head on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the move was successful. I have done some rough tests to make sure that everything is functioning as it should be and, after fixing stuff that didn't show up in the beta site, I believe I have all of the bugs that I could find fixed.

If you see any problems or errors with the site, or have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. You can also contact the webmaster (or the board or the forum moderators) here:

http://mngca.org/contact
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to be sure and thank those that have helped with the project. There are a ton of people that have looked at it here and there and given some input, including a number of the previous board members and a number of the current board members, as well as a small group of beta testers. Thanks!

Special thanks to GeoPierce for his help - he did some of the basic theme work and gave me a 'shell' to start with, and I believe he is also responsible for the graphic at the top of the main site screens.

The project certainly could not have happened without Merkman's help as well. He spent countless hours with me via email, IM, and on the phone, assisting me with the SQL work to get the user database and milestone database converted from the old site to the new one so that the transition would be as seamless as possible for most everyone. I can't even begin to count the hours that Merkman put into the project with me and can't thank him enough for his time.

This was a project that I started about a year and a half ago, while still serving on the MnGCA board. I tinkered with it on and off for quite some time, and finally got serious about working on it near the end of the last board's term.

I'm sure that there are bugs to be found and enhancements to be made, and we're open to suggestions (though don't be upset if we don't make a change that you want).

I do know that we're hoping to move the forums from phpBB v2 to v3, although the move will take quite some time to go through the necessary testing and such (plus it will take some time just to work up the necessary amount of motivation to start a new project).
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did design the banner graphic using the MnGCA logo, a panorama from Silent Bob and some pictures I found on the old MnGCA website but Pear Head took it from there. He did a great job making a website that is much more versatile that the previous version and will be used for a long time. I think the MnGCA and everyone who uses the MnGCA website owes him a big thank you. Great job Pear Head, Merkman and everyone else who helped!
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new look! Kudos to all involved. Mad props going way out to you guys even. Cool
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid job, everyone!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look. But I think the left justified menu and the centered justified banner looks strange (in my warped brain). I'd left justify the banner to or fill the left-side white space.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new website really looks nice. I can only guess how much time and effort this took. Thank you for your time and talent. Anyone/everyone geocaching in MN benifits because of this.

Thanks again,

Kurt Franke
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I like the look. But I think the left justified menu and the centered justified banner looks strange (in my warped brain). I'd left justify the banner to or fill the left-side white space.

That came up in beta testing too. We tried to get it right but the only way we could get it would cause negative side effects on narrower screens.

We'll probably take another stab at it down the road.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums seem to work for both IE and Firefox. But not for Netscape. Yes I know that netscape is no longer available. But there are many out there that still use it. Moreover, the forums work with netscape up until the front end migration.

Issue, front end says your logged in, but the forums say your not. Hit the log in function and it takes you back to the front door which says your logged in. Click the forum and it takes you to the fourm where it says your not logged in.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Issue, front end says your logged in, but the forums say your not. Hit the log in function and it takes you back to the front door which says your logged in. Click the forum and it takes you to the fourm where it says your not logged in.

This sounds like what happens when/if you don't clear your mngca cookies the first time around.

Try clearing the cookies, restarting the browser, and then trying again (or did you try that already?).

How old is Netscape (when did they release their last version)?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:

This sounds like what happens when/if you don't clear your mngca cookies the first time around.

Try clearing the cookies, restarting the browser, and then trying again (or did you try that already?).

How old is Netscape (when did they release their last version)?

That's what I was going through yesterday. After I deleted all mngca cookies (and mistakenly deleted ALL cookies Crying or Very sad ) it's worked perfect on firefox.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
That's what I was going through yesterday. After I deleted all mngca cookies (and mistakenly deleted ALL cookies Crying or Very sad ) it's worked perfect on firefox.

FF allows you to selectively delete cookies. I'm not aware of that functionality on IE...

I've deleted ALL cookies in the past - I know what kind of a pain that is.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm missing something, clicking on most tabs from the MnGCA main page keeps the tabs visible, but clicking on the forum tab brings you to the forum with no visible tab to go to the MnGCA home page? The only way back from the forum is to go 'back' in your browser?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, clicking on most tabs from the MnGCA main page keeps the tabs visible, but clicking on the forum tab brings you to the forum with no visible tab to go to the MnGCA home page? The only way back from the forum is to go 'back' in your browser?

Not true. Click the MNGCA logo in the top left corner of the page. It will take you back to the home page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: