MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Willmar/Paynesville

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Willmar/Paynesville Reply with quote

A group of us are headed to Sibley State Park for a weekend in early May. I am planning our caching expedition. Any recommendations for "must do" or "shouldn't miss" caches in the area?

Thanks,
Sandy
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MINE!! lol
Just had to throw that in there.

There are some of mine there, nothing special mind you. I do have a TB hotel just north of Willmar. Haven't looked at it lately. Not sure if there are any trackables in it or not. There are a couple of nice puzzle ones in Willmar. One is based off of Strak trek, if your a trekkie. The other uses military rank to solve. The bike trail between wilmar and Paynseville has quite a few along it as well. Some are tougher than others. I can't think of any that "stand out" along here though. One thing about the area is that there aren't a whole lot of Nanos out there ( I do have a couple in willmar and one is Evil) to seek anyway.
WillmarJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
There are a couple of nice puzzle ones in Willmar. One is based off of Strak trek, if your a trekkie.

its based off Star Wars. Close Eagle! Razz

GCYJWX
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillmarJ wrote:
loneeagle_24 wrote:
There are a couple of nice puzzle ones in Willmar. One is based off of Strak trek, if your a trekkie.

its based off Star Wars. Close Eagle! Razz

GCYJWX

lol

To me it's all the same. Not into either one of these.
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Sci-Fi fantasy is an option. We'll do them all. Thanks Wink
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my way to Willmar/Paynesville this morning to check out some caches. The one I don't want to miss is the Earthcache in Willmar. I also hope to pick up the StarWars puzzle, thanks to the solution I obtained at the CoJ Puzzle Edition Event.

More later, maybe,

Kurt
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an incomplete list of my favorite Willmar/Paynesville caches:

Willmar Region - Robbins Island Earthcache
I never pass up an Earthcache.

Bike/Walk Trail Rocks
This one was challenging for me.

Hiway 55 Wayside Rest
I loved this one.

Top of the Hill
A simple, well done mulit-cache. Along with a chance to meet the fiz. Enjoyable![/url]

Puber's Hydrogen Car
I just enjoyed this find, maybe it was the previous DNF I logged that made it sweeter.

I haven't found all the caches in this area but think I have looked for, or found most. This list is as incomplete as my memory. On top of that, it is simply my opinion. There are lots of great caches on the Glacial Lakes and Koronis Trails as well. I know some of my foundest cache memories have to do, not with the cache itself, but with who I was with, the bike ride or the birds I observed.

Hope you find some "favorite" caches on your trip.

Kurt
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kurt,

I'll let you know what we find. We are planning (if the weather cooperates) to get at least 60 for the weekend. The Earth cache is high on our list.

Sandy
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip completed and in our opinion (BBaka"L" and I) there were some memorable caches in the area that are worth noting and finding. Very Happy

We enjoyed the Hwy 55 wayside rest (GCX4PR) for its creativity, Big-Az Cache (GC148TH) for its difficulty, Paynesville/Hawick (GCWFRF) for its cache container and the Willmar Region Earthcache (GC1DTR7) for its beautiful setting. We also enjoyed walking parts of the Glacier Lakes Trail. While the hides aren't hard, the trail crosses some beautiful countryside and the views are wonderful. (We could have done without the tick infestation) We stopped at Sibley State Park and picked up the Safari cache and the park is just lovely with a variety of natural settings.

All in all, a fun weekend. Next time, we'll get those evil Twisted Evil lone_eagle24 hides. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: