MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Central Minnesota Geocaching Group?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me. I will be there. Do you want to post it on Geocaching.com as an event so that we can see if we can get more people interested? I know that I have a few people that I will let know and see if I can get them there.

I think that if we run it every Sunday we would build more and more people into it. I would like to see where and how we would like to take this group as well. I will have some questions as a group to brainstorm with.

I am also hoping that some of the other major cachers in the area get wind of this and are able to attend.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this should qualify as a GC.com "Event Cache", exspecially if it is to be a reoccuring thing, once/month or once/week. It is way more informal and low key. This is the same format they use in the Cities every Wednesday. They call it WeekNIGHT Caching. I have attended several times. It is fun.

I would like to see who shows up and what happens as time goes one. We will see what kind of interest there is.

KF
bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: I'll try to be there Reply with quote

Just had to is one of my favorite caches. I'll check my calendar and see If I cn attend. I'm hoping.

BRL
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I didn't know if posting it was allowed. I know that others post there's like MnGCA Breakfast Buddies or Cup Of Joe. These just meet for breakfast or coffee to get to know other cachers.

I am not sure how many cachers actually utilize the forums.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Ok I didn't know if posting it was allowed. I know that others post there's like MnGCA Breakfast Buddies or Cup Of Joe. These just meet for breakfast or coffee to get to know other cachers.

I am not sure how many cachers actually utilize the forums.

I believe you also need to post at least two weeks before the event; maybe the next one can make it to GC.com.
bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: I am a WIMP Reply with quote

Just call me a wimp, but I will not be attending the get together today. It is way too cold for me to go to an event and not be able to claim the caches due to the fact that I have already found them. Let's try to do this again. Hopefully on a weekend where I have nothing else going on.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: I am a WIMP Reply with quote

bigred_librarian wrote:
Just call me a wimp, but I will not be attending the get together today. It is way too cold for me to go to an event and not be able to claim the caches due to the fact that I have already found them. Let's try to do this again. Hopefully on a weekend where I have nothing else going on.

Ditto. We didn't even leave the house yesterday, to cold & windy. Does any one know what kind of turnout they had?
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that it was that bad out until you took off your gloves... then you could tell within seconds.
theodellfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we would have started watching the fourms before today. Sue and I have talked about hosting an event here in Monticello. We have been to a couple of events and have loved meeting all the names we read. We would be very intersted in helping out. Have we sent the next date?
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were talking about getting together on the 3rd Sunday. Next month that would be January 18th. Jam3s was talking about getting something organized. I'm not sure exactly what though.

I would say go ahead and make some plans. It's all fun!

Kurt
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea we can meet whenever and do whatever. I would however like to get a formal group together like the MNGCA to work in partnership with them. We have a lot of cachers in the area and I think that now would be the perfect time to get everyone together to try to build responsible caching within Central Minnesota.

I have spoke to a few cachers and they like the idea and then I have heard from another that we might be in competition of the MNGCA. I do not want to compete with the MNGCA as I am hoping that we would work together and be able to help the MNGCA since we are the ones that know our area best. Currently we do not have any members on the board for the MNGCA anywhere other than the metro area (Mound, Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Brooklyn Center & Chaska) and this is also where all the events are happening. If I would like to find other cachers or an event cache I have to go to the cities.

Of course I am not bashing the MNGCA, they do great work. I just feel that we would be able to help the MNGCA by holding events and such locally and then bring that to them.

I am wondering do the cachers in Central Minnesota want a formalized group? Can I get a Yes, No or Don't Care?

Thanks,

Jam3s
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add some other quotes that I feel are very appropriate.

Quote:
Jonas suggests that we find ways to get more cooperation with other Geocaching groups in Minnesota.
Joel talks about the work that was performed by previous board.
Brad mentions that he does not see MnGCA as a competitor to other organizations but as a compliment, all can coexist.

and...

Quote:
-Discussion about expanding the size of the board.
Brad suggests that we expand the board with new positions for the various regions.
Shawn suggests that we look into a way to get more regional presence without the need to expand the board.
Bryan mentions that the goal of the board should be to be geo-diverse.
Jonas suggests that we can expand the board whether or not we create a regional presence.
Shawn mentions that it would be hard to fill new board positions.
A consensus is formed that the current size of the board shall remain.

The MNGCA is welcoming the idea of other groups to help them.

I think that I am going to contact the MNGCA and see if I can get them to commit to a conference line so we all can chat about this.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Currently we do not have any members on the board for the MNGCA anywhere other than the metro area (Mound, Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Brooklyn Center & Chaska) and this is also where all the events are happening. If I would like to find other cachers or an event cache I have to go to the cities.

Kurt was on the board last year, last years president was from Duluth and many previous board members have been from other areas. This year no one from outside of the metro ran for a board position. If you would like to be on the board I would encourage you to get on next years ballot.
Not all events are held in the metro. Breakfast Buddies is held out side of the metro every third one. If you have a place in your area that you would like to see it send speedysk1 an PM with a location suggestion. Many of the Spring and Fall events are held outside of the metro as well. Those are the events that are held by the MnGCA. Many other events you see are just events held by local cachers and attended by members of the MnGCA. WeekNIGHT is not an MnGCA event just planned by members by whomever feels like setting it up and is attended also by non-members.
If you would like to see more in your area I would encourage your participation in the organization. We are always looking for members who would like to contribute.
Smile
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I would love to participate more in the organization. The problem is that I work further north and live in Clearwater. I know others that would too but they are even further north.

I am trying to help. People are saying that the MNGCA is becoming "metro-centric". I am trying to find a way to bring the two together, stuff to central Minnesota that would be helpful to the MNGCA.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Sure. I would love to participate more in the organization. The problem is that I work further north and live in Clearwater. I know others that would too but they are even further north.

I haven't really decided which side of this to weigh in on, but I'm pretty sure that your geographical location in the state isn't relevant to how you can add to the organization.

I say that as someone who has been Treasurer, President, Forum Administrator, co-Webmaster, set up an MnGCA-sponsored CITO event, etc, etc.

Quote:
I am trying to help. People are saying that the MNGCA is becoming "metro-centric". I am trying to find a way to bring the two together, stuff to central Minnesota that would be helpful to the MNGCA.

My immediate suggestion would be to set up an event if you want. Approach the board about making it a MnGCA sponsored event if you like. We've had a few over the years (look for the Poker Run events for example).

Now I'll weigh in on which side (after I've had 30 seconds to think on it):

The MnGCA was formed to cover the entire state. There is more activity in the metro as there are more people in the metro. That doesn't rule out MnGCA activity outside of the metro though. I'm not clear how a smaller organization totally within the MnGCA's area of coverage will help to bring the cachers from out of the metro closer to the MnGCA. Seems to me that bring the MnGCA closer to the cachers (such as events, the get-togethers like what happened recently, etc) are the best ways.

Another suggestion would be to assist speedysk1 in setting up a non-metro Breakfast Buddies event. I'm fairly sure that if you approached him with a good location for the event that he would help to make that happen the best he could. Normally 4 of the BB events each year are not in the metro.

I won't say I'm totally opposed to what you suggest (because I'm not at this point), but I don't see the point in it as you propose it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: