MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duluth - Two Harbors Camping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schnider
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Duluth - Two Harbors Camping Reply with quote

Hello all, and thanks for letting this Iowegan into your forums. My wife and I are thinking about taking a short, last minute vacation to the Duluth area in August. We have been there three times in the 7 years we have been married. We just love it there! We are trying to keep cost down, by camping this year instead of getting a hotel. We have always stayed in a hotel in the past, but due to high fuel costs, we need to find a way to stay there for a lot less than $150 a night in a hotel room.

I think we are looking at staying the nights of Aug. 14, 15, and 16th. We are planning on car camping, not using the backpacking equipment, but will still be in our large tent. Here is the catch, we think we will need an electric site, in case we need to run our little space heater. We are hoping we won't need to, but this trip will include our new baby who will be 3 months old around that time. We don't need water or sewer hook-ups, just an electric site. A shower house would be great too!

I am looking for a nice campground around the Duluth/Two Harbors/Superior area. It could be public, or private. Hopefully one not too close to town, or at least not one that we would hear a lot of the town. However, I don't really want to deal with any of your local bears either if we can help it. Shocked

I thought I would ask my fellow Geocachers, as they normally know the best places, and might steer me in the right direction. I am hoping to be able to make reservations too so I don't have to worry about getting a site at the last minute.

I wouldn't be opposed to renting a cabin either, if the cost wasn't too bad.

I appreciate any suggestions you have, and thanks in advance.

Schnider
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Spirit Mountain campground or Indian Point (both in Duluth). Two Harbors also has a muni campground.

Spirit Mountain is very wooded - the other two are pretty open.
schnider
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy response. Can you see the city from Indian Point, or is it kind of hidden in there? It would be nice to be that close to town, and yet feel like you aren't.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnider wrote:
Thanks for the speedy response. Can you see the city from Indian Point, or is it kind of hidden in there? It would be nice to be that close to town, and yet feel like you aren't.

No - Indian Point is fairly close to the St. Louis River nearer to Lake Superior level.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnider wrote:

Both of those you will feel like your not in the city, with little city noise ( Indian Point would be the worse of the two). Dont worry about our bears, they are friendly. Very Happy Indian Point is more in the city, its a few blocks away from the zoo. Spirit Mt. you are up on top of the hill on the edge of the city. If you camp there and see a mailman its most likely me. Very Happy

Maybe someone else can help for campsites up the shore.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've camped at a small campground just outside of Two Harbors, between Duluth and Two Harbors. I believe the name is something like Wagon Wheel campground. The spots are right on Lake Superior and the bathroom/showers were clean. I've also stayed at the city owned campground in Two Harbors. It's crowded, not much privacy at all. But, it's convenient if you need to bike to the store.
schnider
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great information! Thank you very much! Very Happy Any additional comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
schnider
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems as though I have almost waited too long. I wanted to go for the Wagon Wheel Campground, but they are fully booked all summer. On some of the others I checked, weekdays were available, but weekends were all taken.

However, Indian Point had space available for all three nights.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: