MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of St Thomas Math Camp Demonstration
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: University of St Thomas Math Camp Demonstration Reply with quote

Quote:
Monday 23 April 2007, 13:12:27
Subject: MnGCA.org Other (ccyes)
Dear MNGCA Board,

Thank you for maintaining such an interesting website! I run a math camp for high school girls at the University of St. Thomas, and I was wondering if you might have any speakers who could come and talk to us about Geocaching and GPS. I've found several interesting links to articles from your forum, but it would be really great to have someone who loves the sport tell us about it. Please let me know if you have any contacts who might be interested in talking to a bunch of math-lovers about your sport and especially the mathematics related to it.

Thanks for any help or contacts!

Lisa

If anyone is interested in taking this one on, please let us know here.
Quote:

Lisa;

Thank you for your interest in Geocaching, and the Minnesota Geocaching Association. I have put your request out to our membership, in our Outreach forum, to find someone who can help you out. I hope we can get you in touch with someone very soon.

What kind of a time-line were you interested in?

Tom Alich
aka TimbreWlf
MnGCA Vice President

TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Dear Tom:

Wow - thanks for your speedy response! Our camp will be June 24-29, and it would be great if someone would like to talk with us on one of the days June 25-28.

Thanks for looking into this for us!!
Lisa

merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would but I am not available on the weekdays.

The Ney Nature Center was a really good time.
Anyone thinking of doing something like this it is worth the effort.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested. Can you find out what kind of a time frame they have in mind (both time of day and how long they are allotting to this presentation). Also, what kind of presentation equipment they will have.

Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are looking for a whole day of activities, probably more than one cacher can do by themselves. This was a preliminary itinerary that they sent me:

9:30-11:30 (flexible, anytime from 8-12)) we gather all of the campers at
one location with good presentation technology (sky is the limit here, both
colleges have excellent facilities) and we have someone discuss the
mathematics/history of the Global Positioning system (hopefully at a level
that would reach middle school students).
12-1 transport girls to a fun geocaching location that might have enough
caches for this many people (or we could stash some fun math items
ourselves). Eat lunch at the location.
1:00-2:00 Presentation on geocaching and using gps units at location. (This
might not be a good idea with this many people. We could certainly have
both presentations at one of the schools before heading out to location).
2:00-3:30 Actual hunt for geocaches.

I'm fine helping out with this, but I'm not sure how strong my "mathematics/history of the Global Positioning system" is, don't know if I'd be comfortable presenting this to students while people with phd's in math watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm fine helping out with this, but I'm not sure how strong my "mathematics/history of the Global Positioning system" is, don't know if I'd be comfortable presenting this to students while people with phd's in math watch.

What...... your not smarter than a Fifth grader? Confused Laughing
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like it'd be a better idea to explain the geocaching and GPS usage during the morning presentation. It could tie in with mathematics/history.

I know I would suck at explaining how the entire system works. While I somewhat have a grasp of it myself, it would take a lot to explain it to others (so much for my 2 years of electronics tech school). There's a lot you could explain to people though, and given the time frame, I can't imagine you could go into too much depth. It'd be best to have a broad overview to keep things interesting. I know if I sat and listened to someone drone on about geo spatial mathematics, radio theory, atomic clocks and algorithms, I'd probably fall asleep.

As for the caching itself, are there going to be enough GPSrs to go around?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

That is another reason why I think we need more than one cacher to do this. I have two GPS's, but I'd be nice to have other cachers there so we can break into smaller groups.

As for explaining, I'd be self conscious that I'd say something wrong (on a math level)...I can talk about tri-lateration and timing and stuff, but the specifics of the math behind that, is beyond me.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
KC0GRN wrote:

That is another reason why I think we need more than one cacher to do this. I have two GPS's, but I'd be nice to have other cachers there so we can break into smaller groups.

As for explaining, I'd be self conscious that I'd say something wrong (on a math level)...I can talk about tri-lateration and timing and stuff, but the specifics of the math behind that, is beyond me.

At the Nye Nature Center I cheated and showed them a quick video.

There is a nice quick one at how stuff works and a longer boring one with more technical info put out by NASA.

I also have been looking at You tube and when I do the next presentation I will put videos in from there. Team Tiki (I believe) did a real nice geocaching video that is on You Tube.

If we were able to do a "fund raiser" would the MnGCA be willing to keep 10 or so GPS's for educational purposes?
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unsure of my schedule at this point but I would like to help. I have two GPS's and according to PH I have the gift of gab. I can also make a study of the history of geocaching.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
If we were able to do a "fund raiser" would the MnGCA be willing to keep 10 or so GPS's for educational purposes?

They did mention "We also have a budget for speaker honorariums so feel free to let us know what kind of speaker fees you might need to help us make this possible."

I had wanted to do this as part of our out reach, but a donation to the MnGCA to help fund the purchase of GPS's for this type of thing wouldn't seem like a bad idea to me. Does the board have any feelings on this? If we could get $500 over the next several months from various fund raisers we could buy 5 eTrex (yellow) models to have on hand for this type of thing.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to donate a Copper MN Lady Slipper geocoin (one of 6 made), when they come in, to the MnGCA to auction off on E-bay to raise funds for this effort.
I have seen other fundraising coins go for $100 - $200.
I am not saying this one would go for that kind of money but it could.
Let me know if you guys are interested in that.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we are over thinking this, they said "discuss the
mathematics/history of the Global Positioning system (hopefully at a level
that would reach middle school students). " Since they want it at a middle school level, we shouldn't worry about nitty-gritty math, but more about basic theory, I think a higher level overview of Trilateration and how the GPS uses it would suffice. We can also spend time discussing the history behind it and various applications it is used for today, like farming, and materials tracking.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thought, explain to them that the basic way they work is by the difference between the signals. You don't need to get into the actual nuts and bolts unless they need a nap.
It would be helpful to explain how to determine lat (angle of the sun/stars) and that longitude requires a good watch. A lot of history there that can really get some kids interested. Such as to why sailing beyond the sight of land was an iffy thing to do, etc.
It might be neat to tell them why Columbus thought he was in asia rather than several thousand miles away.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
It might be neat to tell them why Columbus thought he was in asia rather than several thousand miles away.

Not that I'm saying this isn't a good idea and all, but...

I believe the word "gab" came up earlier, didn't it? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: