MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Month-October 2008

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be Cache of the Month for October 2008?
Dead Mans Cache
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Cliff Hanger
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Cache With A View
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
A Hobbits Trail: The Lair of Smaug
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 25

ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Vote for Cache of the Month-October 2008 Reply with quote

This vote will be open for seven days...get your vote in while you can!!!

GC1FN8W: Dead Mans Cache by RudeRat Crew
Nominated by KRedEP
This is definitely a cache that hard core cachers will like, as well as families out for some fun. Clearly A LOT of time was put into creating this cache. All three stages offer different types of hides and fun. The pirate theme was carried throughout the cache page, all three stages and their fun containers. There was a unique way to give the stage one finder the way to the final stages.

Also nominated by TonkaJen
I nominate this cache for cache of the month because it was a kid friendly and defiantly inspired teamwork among finders. As with many of the RudeRat’s caches, they are creative in all aspect beginning with the cache page and ends when you find the X marking the spot. This one took the cake. It is specifically designed that the youngsters would not be disappointed.

GCQ6D4: Cliff Hanger by EskoClimber
Nominated by Fargnot
Momandson2006 and I recently traveled to Duluth to complete our 1000th find together. We wanted a very challenging cache that was out of the ordinary. After looking at several caches in the state and a few in Canada we settled on this one because we felt it would give us a memorable experience to commemorate our milestone. So we took Eskoclimber up on his standing offer to take anyone at any time on an adventure of a lifetime.

After experiencing this cache with several geocachers from the area we were not disappointed. I came away from the experience more excited about geocaching than ever before, it was the real deal. I would have to call Esko’s cache the complete geocaching experience, a package deal. He supplies all of the technical equipment, a very knowledgeable guide, lots of humor, and beautiful scenery. If you want to live to talk about it, all you have to do is follow instructions, but what really stands out is the opportunity to face your fears and overcome them in a safe environment. The caching experience is set up in such a way that anyone who attempts the cache is capable of being successful. You end up finding not only the container but an extra measure of self-worth.

What has always drawn me to geocaching as a whole is the premise that it has something to offer for everyone and this cache does a better job than most. If you like to hike, climb, socialize, or just sit and knit then Cliff Hanger is for you. It can be as easy as you like or as demanding as you can take. In fact, it is my belief that GCQ6D4 can meet the needs of any geocacher looking for excitement and adventure or rest and relaxation. I would even go as far as to promise, for some it will even be a spiritual experience. Yes, it has it all, just like a good movie that you want to go and experience again and again and again…

GC1C5FQ: Cache With A View by lizs
Nominated by stickerooni
There is a uniqueness to this cache that I haven't experienced before. It is both difficult and easy in a way that is difficult to explain. Only those four of us who've found it can probably identify with this.

It starts with simply trying to find the area. I've been to the area before, but for first-timers, getting to the correct parking lot might be a challenge. And there are two unique hiking trails in the area. lizs does a good job of planting a separate cache to help cachers get on to the correct trail. And from there, the hike is quite easyl; taking you through beautiful wooded land and alongside a farmers field, currently planted with corn.

But as you get close to the cache, the terrain changes, becoming rocky and sun-exposed, perfect for the rattlesnakes that have been reported in the area. A new element is added to the cache hunt. Maintaining an eye out for predators!

About 100' from GZ, the path seems to disappear. Do you need to bushwack? A fierce cliffside (possibly with dangerous snakes) or a strong thicket are your choices.

All in all, as I left the cache, I realized that I was sweating, but not necessarily from the hike or climb itself, but from the total environment of the cache. The walk itself was easy. It was the total package. A nice, long-ish walk with a challenge.

GC1F6ZX: A Hobbits Trail: The Lair of Smaug by Annakido
Nominated by 83pony
I would like to take a crack at that nominating a cache in Winona again, only now its called "A Hobbits Trail: The Lair of Smaug”. Annakido has put a lot of work and thought into this one, which is now a 2 Phase Multi. Phase 1 is where the old Kitchen Cove used to be (so you still get to see the Kitchen Cove) only the container has changed. Phase 2 will lead you a little ways down the trail to "the lair". Check it out. Get there before the snow flies though, as the trails on the bluffs of Winona can get quite precarious. Watch for those muggles as well; those college kids even like this climb and area.

If you have any words/reviews for any of the caches up for voting, please share then here by posting a reply...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vote for Cache of the Month-October 2008 Reply with quote

Quote:

GCQ6D4: Cliff Hanger by EskoClimber
Nominated by Fargnot
Momandson2006 and I recently traveled to Duluth to complete our 1000th find together. We wanted a very challenging cache that was out of the ordinary. After looking at several caches in the state and a few in Canada we settled on this one because we felt it would give us a memorable experience to commemorate our milestone. So we took Eskoclimber up on his standing offer to take anyone at any time on an adventure of a lifetime.

After experiencing this cache with several geocachers from the area we were not disappointed. I came away from the experience more excited about geocaching than ever before, it was the real deal. I would have to call Esko’s cache the complete geocaching experience, a package deal. He supplies all of the technical equipment, a very knowledgeable guide, lots of humor, and beautiful scenery. If you want to live to talk about it, all you have to do is follow instructions, but what really stands out is the opportunity to face your fears and overcome them in a safe environment. The caching experience is set up in such a way that anyone who attempts the cache is capable of being successful. You end up finding not only the container but an extra measure of self-worth.

What has always drawn me to geocaching as a whole is the premise that it has something to offer for everyone and this cache does a better job than most. If you like to hike, climb, socialize, or just sit and knit then Cliff Hanger is for you. It can be as easy as you like or as demanding as you can take. In fact, it is my belief that GCQ6D4 can meet the needs of any geocacher looking for excitement and adventure or rest and relaxation. I would even go as far as to promise, for some it will even be a spiritual experience. Yes, it has it all, just like a good movie that you want to go and experience again and again and again…

Fargnot's description just touches the iceberg here really. This is a cache that, in many ways, redefines what caching is really all about. It's a cache that REQUIRES that you use ropes to get to. There is no other way to access it, safely or not. If you want to do it, I've found/heard that Esko is willing to take anyone that wants to go if you don't have the gear and knowledge yourself. I've done it with him and I can't encourage you enough to try it for yourselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dnalsi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Add one for Cliff Hanger Reply with quote

This one has my vote.
Wonderful location that I will return to and share with wife.
The others have summed this one up very well.
Thanks
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Dead Man's Cache today. VERY fun and memorable. This one easily deserves to be in this months vote.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats RudeRat Crew for this Month's Cache of the Month!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Did Dead Man's Cache today. VERY fun and memorable. This one easily deserves to be in this months vote.

I am not sure about the two caches to the south, but the two others here are awesome and almost should be in their own class. Very tough vote indeed.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shiver me timbers, thar be an act of kindness bestowed upon me treasure! A hearty har har to Red and Jen for their “cache of the month” nominations, and a doubloon of thanks for he that chose to cast their votes my way.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: