MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cache-ies: Paul Bunyan Award (i.e. best logger)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: The Cache-ies: Paul Bunyan Award (i.e. best logger) Reply with quote

If we had something like the Grammies/Oscars/Tonys/etc for Geocaching and there was a category for best logger (the Paul Bunyan Award [get it? Paul Bunyan, he's a lumberjack, a "log"ger, get it? Rolling Eyes Well, I crack me up anyway Laughing ])

Anyway, while I've read some great logs myself and have read on here that some cachers take pride and the time and effort to provide great logging on caches [FSU*Noles, Bobcam, etc] but from my limited experience incrediblemagpie logs would get my vote for the Paul Bunyan Award!

Take a peak at his logs for One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and FirstBass's Series (as 1B noted in his blog) for some examples.

I'm not suggesting we should have a MNGCA Cachies awards or anything like that, just trying to give the incrediblemagpie some deserved credit for logs that are a blast to read and make it so more people might enjoy the logging of the incrediblemagpie!
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've always enjoyed the creativity in incrediblemagpie logs. That guy is WAY out there, (in a good way). Cool
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most the time I don't know what the gack magpie is talking about, but his posts do crack me up. Here is one I enjoyed Before the FBI
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my favorite incrediblemagpie log On my "you hid Creekin Where " cache.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=23fba35e-eca9-4dc0-a209-9849fb222476

Got to check out the pictures too.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On cachestats there is a stat for the longest logs and I read them sometimes because they are always good stories.

I vote for FSU*noles for best over all logger and incrediblemagpie for most creative.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cache-ies: Paul Bunyan Award (i.e. best logger) Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
I'm not suggesting we should have a MNGCA Cachies awards or anything like that

Actually I think that's a great idea. I think a yearly series of awards would be wonderful to see.

I'd be interested in putting together a proposal here that fleshes this out some and see if the board is interested in it.

Is there any interest in this? Besides best logger, what other categories do you see?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cache-ies: Paul Bunyan Award (i.e. best logger) Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
msteffel wrote:

Actually I think that's a great idea. I think a yearly series of awards would be wonderful to see.

I'd be interested in putting together a proposal here that fleshes this out some and see if the board is interested in it.

Is there any interest in this? Besides best logger, what other categories do you see?

Let me beat drat to the punch and nominate as a category "Most DNF's". We could call it the ISAC award.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cache-ies: Paul Bunyan Award (i.e. best logger) Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
msteffel wrote:

This does sound like fun forum fare.

I would change best logger to best log - easier for people to vote on.

Best event by an MnGCA member (or group of members)

Best outreach (Geocaching 101 type thing, out with the girl scouts, whatever)

Most effective CITO

Best wardrobe while caching (must have picture)

Most successful day caching (any number of measures of success: #'s, marriage proposals accepted - or rejected, miles hiked, etc)
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: more awards Reply with quote

Purple Heart for injuries sustained while caching
World Traveler for overseas caching excellence
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soggies for the most mile hiked in a swamp in one day.

The Dracula award for the cache that lays out the most cachers while they are waiting for a blood transfusion to replace the lost volume due to the MN state bird.

The Itchy for the cache with the longest route required through poison ivy to get it.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
The Itchy for the cache with the longest route required through poison ivy to get it.

How about the Itchy and Scratchy (insert the Simpsons here) ?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: more awards Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Purple Heart for injuries sustained while caching

I think we all know who won this one this year!
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to suggest having a Cache-ies cause at times Cache of the Month has gotten a little contentious (and some of the categories below might lead itself to more of that). But if 'the people' want it, some possible categories (just brainstorm here, I think there are too many):

Cache of the Year (I know Wisconsin's geocaching association does this)
Traditional Cache of the Year
Multi Cache of the Year
Puzzle Cache of the Year
Puzzle Cache of the Year not done by Pfalstad or Paklid
Best Adventure Cache
Best Milestone Cache

Best cache Series
Most creative cache container
Best cache hide
Best cache camoflague

Boldest hide (do we want to encourage this Wink
Cacher that looks most like a Yeti (oh, what to name this award?)
Most visited cache (can we get the number for this?)
Best/Most creative travel bug
Best/Most creative geocoin
Best/Most creative path tag
Most traveled bug (can we get the numbers for this?)
Worst luck/Most amazing story
Injury of the Year
Event of the Year
Volunteer of the Year
Cacher of the Year (cacher who most exemplifies what MnGCA is about [I might have to read the bylaws to be able to vote on this one]]
Social Cacher of the Year
Lifetime Achievement award (would this be for geocaching as a whole, Minnesota Caching in general, the MnGCA, etc.)

Just a thinking out loud. Plus you don't want to have too many cause then the speeches will constantly be cut off by the Geocaching band so it doesn't go over time! Wink
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:

**Clip**
Lifetime Achievement award (would this be for geocaching as a whole, Minnesota Caching in general, the MnGCA, etc.)

I nominate BobCam...just so he may slow down and let the rest of us do a little catch-up!!!
Laughing Wink Laughing
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to incrediblemagpie last night at the excellent WeekNIGHT caching event, and he reported (with tongue in cheek, of course) that he is feeling great pressure now as a result of all this adulation.

Is there such thing as Logger's Block?

"It was a dark and stormy..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: