MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GO BOBCAM! 5000 caches in 1 year!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
Well he found 300 in the last 9 days, so I guess another 9 days, or June 4. he should find 14000 by October.

I am thinking that is a bit on the conservative side...

Well I dunno.. 300 in 9 days is 33.3 a day, and he's got 123 days till September 26. 123 days * 33.3 a day = 4095, so he'll only have 9710+4095 = 13805 caches by his anniversary unless he gets a move on! Wink

Considering that his 2009 stats show "Average finds per caching day" at 55.3, and that he has improved from last year's average of 44.2 / day, I'd have to agree that he'll make it with room to spare. On the other hand... he is now having to spend more and more time driving instead of caching.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
Well I dunno.. 300 in 9 days is 33.3 a day, and he's got 123 days till September 26. 123 days * 33.3 a day = 4095, so he'll only have 9710+4095 = 13805 caches by his anniversary unless he gets a move on! Wink

Considering that his 2009 stats show "Average finds per caching day" at 55.3....

Average finds per caching day? What matters is overall finds per day, which is 20.6, not enough. He needs to get out there and cache, he's letting his life/work drag him down! Wink
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he needs some help I think someone (other than me) should get that 126-cache square mile set up pronto!
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
spinowner wrote:
He's at 9710. One year to find the first 5000 and since then 4710 in only 8 months. I noticed this because we found some of the same caches this weekend in Ames, IA, although we did not cross paths. Would our resident statistician, pfalstad, care to extrapolate the data and make a projection for the date of #10000?

Well he found 300 in the last 9 days, so I guess another 9 days, or June 4. he should find 14000 by October.

#10,000 yesterday, June 6.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
spinowner wrote:
He's at 9710. One year to find the first 5000 and since then 4710 in only 8 months. I noticed this because we found some of the same caches this weekend in Ames, IA, although we did not cross paths. Would our resident statistician, pfalstad, care to extrapolate the data and make a projection for the date of #10000?

#10,000 yesterday, June 6.

I just saw that, too. 10,011, and he hasn't started logging Sundays caches yet!
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of this morning he has 11096 finds. He needs 415 finds per week (roughly 60 per day) to reach 14000 by the end of his second year.
It is no surprise that no cacher with more finds began caching after he did. (He's currently 52nd in the world in finds.) It would be interesting to know how many caches have been found by the second most prolific finder of those who started caching on or after Sept. 26, 2007.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what point does this just turn into another task -- just another thing that you need to do? A job?

I've gone on countless all-day caching trips. After a few days I get to where it's approaching the point of not being fun anymore.

While I applaud Bobcam for his accomplishments, I can't understand how he hasn't reached that point (and eventually stopped).
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people want to see how many hot dogs they can eat at one sitting, year after year?

After a while it becomes an addiction and you can't stop. There is this drive to become number one in the hobby or sport of your choice. Definitely A+ type personalities.....

As long as he continues to enjoy what he is doing, I wish him luck
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he keeps it up at the rate he has been going for two reasons. One, I can vicariously enjoy the ridiculous numbers he puts up. Two, when my wife comments that I spend more time caching than she thinks I should I can compare and contrast myself with him.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind either way. But I'd just wish that with all the stroking he gets that he'd actually show up here in the forums and join the chatter.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that he realizes that time spent here is time taken away from caching.
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by emmanogoldfish on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by emmanogoldfish on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should put on an event for his 2nd anniversary, just to see if the guest of honor will actually show up. Twisted Evil
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I think we should put on an event for his 2nd anniversary, just to see if the guest of honor will actually show up. Twisted Evil

Any response to this will get me in trouble..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: