MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GO BOBCAM! 5000 caches in 1 year!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abnerone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: GO BOBCAM! 5000 caches in 1 year! Reply with quote

Bobcam is close to getting 5000 caches in his first year of caching. His 1 year anniversary is on Sept 26th. As of Sept 19th, he has 4,763 caches, with 7 days to go. Rumor has it that he plans to pick up about 175 caches this upcoming weekend the 20th and 21st in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and West Branch, in Iowa. That would leave 62 for Monday to Thursday. I think he is going to make it! Wow!

Here are the top 10 cache finders in Minnesota, and the top 3 in the world, including their daily pace, since they registered. Although I think TeamAlamo and CCCooper are 'teams' of people logging under the same account. It appears that EMC is a single person, and perhaps the top single cacher in the world. The pace Bobcam is at per day, is pretty incredible. An average of 13.3 everyday. At this pace, he would pass up Arcticabn around May of 2009.

1 MN 7613 Arcticabn 1834 days = 4.2 per day
2 MN 6188 FSU*Noles 2134 days = 2.9 per day
3 MN 5526 Moe the Sleaze 2094 days = 2.6 per day
4 MN 5324 EskoClimber 1563 days = 3.4 per day
5 MN 5280 Iron Man Dan 1653 days = 3.2 per day
6 MN 5096 Minnesota 1867 days = 2.7 per day
7 MN 4763 Bobcam 358 days = 13.3 per day
8 MN 4376 jREST 1643 days = 2.7 per day
9 MN 4361 Grey Wolf and Wild Rice 2302 days = 1.9 per day
10 MN 4306 Good-Boy 1776 days = 2.4 per day

1 WORLD 29601 TeamAlamo 2152 days = 13.8 per day
2 WORLD 24357 CCCooperAgency 2668 days = 9.1 per day
3 WORLD 16838 EMC of Northridge, CA 1939 days = 8.7 per day

http://www.cacherstats.com/Minnesota1.html
http://www.cacherstats.com/Rank1-125.html
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy, too. Go for it, Bobcam!

Went caching with Bobcam back in December and found eight caches. He might wish he had that lazy day back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Alamo and Cooper are individuals.

I believe that Alamo is retired and caches daily and has found nearly 500 since the beginning of the month.

I applaud bobcam. Wish I actually had that much time do cache. It's quite an achievement and I look forward to the day that he passes me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bobcam retired?? No family?? What's the trick? I felt like I cached my bottom off this year and probably won't exceed 900 to 1000 for the year. I've only spoken to him on the phone briefly once before.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isn't retired...
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, he's exclusively a weekend warrior. That has the effect of increasing his rate of finds per caching day, but I don't know if that is intentional. That is to say, I don't know if he avoids finding the odd cache during the week for the purpose raising his find rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the few here that have cached very often with Bob, I think I can add some insight. I've learned that a lot of people are curious about him, and some may even have the wrong idea about him.

He is single (as am I). He is not retired... he works a 40 hour week. He does not generally cache on weekdays/nights (unless he takes a long weekend). He is incredibly well organized with "The List"... the caches and the order that he's going to attack them with. Its tough to get him to deviate from The List. He IS very goal oriented, as The List would indicate.

He doesn't stop for breakfast, lunch, or dinner unless someone caching with him gets pi**ed off enough, finding it sufficient to subsist on a diet of Crystal-Lite and Ritz Crackers (you think I'm kidding?). He starts his day at dawn and ends it around dusk, giving him enough time to log the days finds and plan the next days.

He is NOT one of those cachers that only spend no more than x minutes on a cache. I've literally had to walk off on him a number of times to convince him to claim a DNF.

He does not use copy&paste logs. Almost without exception, no matter how many caches he's found that day, will find something unique to say about each cache... something that I very much respect and admire him for.

Guess that's about it. But I do think that he's going to hit his 5K goal for this year. He's down in Iowa right now, working on it.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstbass wrote:
As far as I can tell, he's exclusively a weekend warrior. That has the effect of increasing his rate of finds per caching day, but I don't know if that is intentional. That is to say, I don't know if he avoids finding the odd cache during the week for the purpose raising his find rate.

As far as I know, that has never occurred to him, Bryan. I think he simply uses his weeknights to get stuff done that he'd otherwise have to do during the weekend. That, and planning his weekend caching.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, in case any here are not aware of it, this week might be a good time to log this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=af4f87f2-5cde-4b29-90b3-183dc8cce828
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
He is single

That's the trick I think. I think it'd be easier to cache if you were single than if you were retired. No kids to haul around to swimming, dance, and soccer. No homework. No mouths to feed but your own. No home to cleanup.. Sounds refreshing. Just kidding honey.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get it. What fun is caching if you're literally running from cache to cache, to try and get that many? If he's only caching on weekends, that's like 50 caches a day. How can you enjoy the park the cache is placed in? How can you enjoy the ingenuity of the cache or anything for that matter?
I don't know. I guess some people are in this for the numbers, and that's it. I view geocaching as a relaxing way to enjoy the country. See something new, experience places I'd normally not visit.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffda320 wrote:
I just don't get it. What fun is caching if you're literally running from cache to cache, to try and get that many? If he's only caching on weekends, that's like 50 caches a day. How can you enjoy the park the cache is placed in? How can you enjoy the ingenuity of the cache or anything for that matter?
I don't know. I guess some people are in this for the numbers, and that's it. I view geocaching as a relaxing way to enjoy the country. See something new, experience places I'd normally not visit.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's the challenge aspect that some of us take on. I've done all approaches to caching and it'd be tough to determine which method I like better. I go in streaks both ways.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the aspects about this sport. Everyone can cache for their own reasons. Trust me after the 1000 local community park with 10 pine trees and a playground set you don't need to spend much time there.

For some of us we enjoy the planning and execution of a plan that stresses our ability to our limits.

I fully understand bobcam's style of caching. Most that have cached with me will tell you I'm the same way (and have been threatened with death if I didn't stop for food).

There are not that many caches out there in new and unique locations that deserve an hour wandering around the park. You can only walk through Crosby Park so many times looking for caches before you get single minded and don't care about the trees and only look for the holes. I enjoy the long walk on the Iron Range as much as the next guy. But I don't need to spend an hour in each little community park. It's the challenge of pushing myself to the limit. I think that bobcam would say the same thing. He enjoys the challenge of the plan, the execution and the hunt, and if he walks by a beautiful view he stops and looks and maybe even takes a picture.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
That's the trick I think. I think it'd be easier to cache if you were single than if you were retired. No kids to haul around to swimming, dance, and soccer. No homework. No mouths to feed but your own. No home to cleanup.. Sounds refreshing. Just kidding honey.

Sigh, why couldn't geocaching have been invented back in the mid-90's when I was single and living in California and bored every weekend?? Crying or Very sad
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually cache to get at least an hour of walking in, so I often pick 2 caches about a mile apart per the map (i.e . up to 2 miles apart walking!) and just do those.

So by that ratio of two caches = 4 miles, I guess I'd have to walk 10,000 miles to catch up with Bobcam. : )

The advantage of the slow find rate is a lot less driving -- I've rarely had to travel more than 4 miles from the house to cache and I have close to 450 finds now. New ones come out fast enough that I never clear the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: