MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storm damage

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
loneeagle_24
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Jun 2003

Posts: 874

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Storm damage Reply with quote

For those cachers heading out to get either LQP or Upper Sioux State parks. Please be aware that both of these might have tree damage in the area as Thursday morning we had some MAJOR straight line winds come through this part of the state. Most of the area had 80-90+ MPH winds go through. Montevideo (where I live) there have been numerous trees down and branches from trees down. It almost looks like a war zone in parts of town. There were no serious injuries, but Lots of power lines down. Some people in town may not get power back up till early next week. My plan is to possibly go check on both of these caches on Sunday. Both SP are in the area that has been dealing with the cleanup of the damage from the storm. The caches in these parks may be OK, but just be aware that some of the area may have changed due to downed trees.

I have one cache location in town here that it's hiding place sounds like has been blown over as well. I disabled it till it can get checked on and possibly moved.

Will try to post here when I can get an update on both of these caches.
_________________
King of the Jeff Gordon TB's!
They put that cache WHERE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oneied Cooky
Geocacher


Joined: 06 Mar 2005

Posts: 453

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at LQP Thur afternoon. The Park crew had a trail cut thru the downed trees to enter the park but you could not get near the first stage. A half mile of trees laying accross the road. Got to stage one with a lot of climbig to find nothing but more downed trees. Went back to the Park office, No one there. But a guy driveing one of the trucks hauling away debris stoped to see what I wanted. I told him where I was looking for the 1st stage. You were looking at the right spot. It must have blown away! I'm kinda busy here so I'll just tell you where to go and look for it.He gave directions and I made the find. Damage was unbeliveable! My guess would be with 4 chainsaws, A frontend loader and a couple trucks to haul stuff away it would take a few days to get through it all. On the way there the County had snow plowing heavy equipment pushing trees to the side of the road.
_________________
A Crazed Gyration of the Rock Generation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
loneeagle_24
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Jun 2003

Posts: 874

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update about LQPSP. All parts of the cache are fine to get to. However the rest of the trails in the lower part of the campground are closed due to all of the trees down that need to be cleaned up yet. I would imagine they will be working on this in the coming weeks to get the trails back open. We also moved the second stage of the cache cause where they had it placed it was just way to easy for a muggle to see and possibly walk off with. Shouldn't be real tough to get to but it is hid a lot better than it was.

The caches at Upper sioux are good to go. they had minimal damage there compared to LQP.
_________________
King of the Jeff Gordon TB's!
They put that cache WHERE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer


Joined: 18 Jan 2006

Posts: 199

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
We also moved the second stage of the cache cause where they had it placed it was just way to easy for a muggle to see and possibly walk off with. Shouldn't be real tough to get to but it is hid a lot better than it was.


Were the additional waypoints for the listing updated?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
loneeagle_24
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Jun 2003

Posts: 874

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
loneeagle_24 wrote:
We also moved the second stage of the cache cause where they had it placed it was just way to easy for a muggle to see and possibly walk off with. Shouldn't be real tough to get to but it is hid a lot better than it was.


Were the additional waypoints for the listing updated?


The waypoint isn't listed on the cache page othewise I wouldn't consider it a multi cache. The park staff was aware of the move and approved it. They replaced the old waypoint with a new one in the first stage of the cache. Cachers need to find the first stage in order to find the second stage.
_________________
King of the Jeff Gordon TB's!
They put that cache WHERE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The waypoint isn't listed on the cache page othewise I wouldn't consider it a multi cache. The park staff was aware of the move and approved it. They replaced the old waypoint with a new one in the first stage of the cache. Cachers need to find the first stage in order to find the second stage.

I think he means for HIS review, not for other cachers. He needs those to be able to determine if new caches placed in the park are far enough away from any other locations in the park.
_________________
Sad state of affairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
loneeagle_24
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Jun 2003

Posts: 874

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I never thought about that. We didn't move it all that far. When I get home from work I'll have to look into it and see if I actually have the #'s yet. It is just that they had the cache right under one of the signs with info on it. I was surprised that it hadn't gotten muggled previous to this. I could see the cache from the trail before I even got close. Now it is hidden much better. Should be a bit easier to maintain as well where it is at now.
_________________
King of the Jeff Gordon TB's!
They put that cache WHERE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Draconisdax
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Nov 2007

Posts: 982

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I guess I never thought about that. We didn't move it all that far. When I get home from work I'll have to look into it and see if I actually have the #'s yet. It is just that they had the cache right under one of the signs with info on it. I was surprised that it hadn't gotten muggled previous to this. I could see the cache from the trail before I even got close. Now it is hidden much better. Should be a bit easier to maintain as well where it is at now.

MinnesotaBrad and I were wondering about that when we found it...we just figured it was moved that way becuase of the rains and local flooding...but now it sounds like it was actually planned that way...
.
.
.
Drove right up to it from the nearby park-road and saw it even before we got out of the vehicle...
_________________
You may only be young once...but I will be immature forever!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 03 Mar 2007

Posts: 1267

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
loneeagle_24 wrote:
I guess I never thought about that. We didn't move it all that far. When I get home from work I'll have to look into it and see if I actually have the #'s yet. It is just that they had the cache right under one of the signs with info on it. I was surprised that it hadn't gotten muggled previous to this. I could see the cache from the trail before I even got close. Now it is hidden much better. Should be a bit easier to maintain as well where it is at now.

MinnesotaBrad and I were wondering about that when we found it...we just figured it was moved that way becuase of the rains and local flooding...but now it sounds like it was actually planned that way...
.
.
.
Drove right up to it from the nearby park-road and saw it even before we got out of the vehicle...


Wish we could have done the same thing with stage 1?!$%$%@#$! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4054

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
loneeagle_24 wrote:
I guess I never thought about that. We didn't move it all that far. When I get home from work I'll have to look into it and see if I actually have the #'s yet. It is just that they had the cache right under one of the signs with info on it. I was surprised that it hadn't gotten muggled previous to this. I could see the cache from the trail before I even got close. Now it is hidden much better. Should be a bit easier to maintain as well where it is at now.

MinnesotaBrad and I were wondering about that when we found it...we just figured it was moved that way becuase of the rains and local flooding...but now it sounds like it was actually planned that way...
.
.
.
Drove right up to it from the nearby park-road and saw it even before we got out of the vehicle...


Wish we could have done the same thing with stage 1?!$%$%@#$! Evil or Very Mad


That's amazing that it has survived this long. I think I did that cache back in June, final in the same location you guys are talking about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.