MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepting Cache of the Month Nominations-September 2008

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Accepting Cache of the Month Nominations-September 2008 Reply with quote

Accepting Nominations...

Although I will accept nominations at any time, this thread is to remind everyone that I am accepting Nominations for Cache of the Month for September of 2008. You can submit COTM nominations to me using one of the following three methods…1) Send me a Private Message through MNGCA.org or 2) Send me an Email at ArcherDragoon@yahoo.com or 3) Post a nomination in this thread. Nominations need to be written in a way that gives the reader a spoiler-free description of what make the cache special. You must include the Cache Owner, Cache Name and Waypoint with your nomination. Your nomination must also include a brief write-up for the cache (at least a sentence...but I would prefer something a bit longer...I honestly think we are capable of writing a couple sentences or a nice paragraph).

A further explanation of the cache of the month process can be found Here!!!

Thanks,
ArcherDragoon
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

----Message from 83Pony----
I would like to nominate Kitchen Cove Cache (GCY00P) by Annakido for Sept. cache of the month. It was nominated last year, but didn't quite make it. It is a very cool cache in the bluffs of Winona. It is a good hike up the bluff side with a great view of Winona and the bluffs of Wisconsin in the distance. I always enjoy reading the logs of those that go after this cache as they are usually very interesting and often funny of their experience hiking and finding this cache. The grids have been updated recently by Annakido to make it a little less frustrating looking for this cache after all the effort climbing up to the top. Should be a nice cache to find in the cooler fall weather heading our way in September.
----End----
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Folks...we are half-way through the month and I only have one nomination...of course...now the bad news...

The one nomination is now void!!! Annakido just recently archived her cache that was nominated above...in order to replace with a multi...

I am now down to no nominations for September as of this posting...

Later,
ArcherDragoon
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to nominate TimeWellSpent's "30 Feet Which Way?" GC1DRH7. This is a very well done cache that has left some frustrated and given a chuckle to others. This is definitely not a park and grab and will require about an hour or so of time. TWS puts a lot of thought, time and effort into all his caches, but this one takes the cake so far. Also, if you pay close attention this could be a twofer special.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, beat me to it! I had started to write up a 'series' of TWS caches with '30 Feet Which Way' being the 'main' one for the nomination for CotM...

I started the list:

'30 Feet Which Way'
'10 Feet Which Way'
'FTF HOUNDS MN STYLE - TheGilby4'
'FTF HOUNDS MN STYLE - kredep'
'pfalstad or D.B. Cooper, you decide!'
'Cup of Puzzles'
'Caching Sure Can be Draining'
'Caching Sure Is Draining'

but at that point it basically became - go find ALL TWS caches! Very Happy Thanks for making the nomination, I couldn't agree more! And thanks to TWS for all the fantastic hides!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this note to the email listed above under the nomination submission instructions a couple of days ago. Apparently it didn't go through? Anyway, here's the copy and paste...

I would like to nominate Uffda320's "Life's a beach" (GC1505Z) for Cache of the Month. Uffda uses the surrounding terrain to perfection to create a cache which requires a most unique method to retrieve. I cannot go into great detail or I will give away the secret. Giving away too much information also causes me the problem of wanting to tell EVERYONE about the cache, but withholding the fun part. The best way is to plan a stop at this cache when traveling through the Walker area. The cache is an easy walk up a bicycle path, is only feet from the path, but still gives the searcher plenty of privacy to search.

I recommend this cache to everyone, a must stop when in the Walker area.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to nominate seldon's Inertia - It's the Law for COTM.

Arcticabn and I took off for "multi day" where we find only multi caches, much to his dismay, and this one was originally left for the end but due to MN-3 being closed in numerous places we had to take an unplanned detour and stopped at this one at around 10 AM.

After parking on what later turned out to be private property and hiking the back way into the county park, we ascended a steep and slippery hill and found a gigantic erratic boulder, split in two with space large enough to walk between, which just happened to be the first stage of this three stage multi.

I ended up on top of both halves of the boulder, twice, while Arcticabn looked for the first stage below. After finding the first stage, which was no easy task believe me, we went on to two more stages which were just as challenging.

A beautiful park with a challenging cache and an awesome sight. This is a definite must do while traipsing around Rice County!
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to nominate "Gauntlet: Seldon's Century Hide " (GC1EJ4X) for September cache of the month. This is by far the most thought out and executed cache I have found. Each stage provides a clever, unique, or flat out brilliant method to get cachers to the next stage. For those of you who want a day long caching adventure challenge you will never forget, go find it!!! I would love to tell every amazing detail about every stage, but I think Seldon would get angry...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bdb16941-2f5c-4353-a96c-e7a485f3aa9f

edit: Took out selective audience bit

Last edited by Bunganator on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
I would like to nominate "Gauntlet: Seldon's Century Hide " (GC1EJ4X) for September cache of the month.

We're not falling for that one again! Nice try though. Wink
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am allowed to add to the COTM nomination list I would like to ad the cache called Gilligan's Island. It's number is GC19J6N and the cache owner is Jeff A. I am not sure that I agree with how the cache is rated as far as a 5 difficulty and a 2.5 terrain but that does not detract from the cache. It is in an area called Linwood park that I think is used mostly during the winter for cross country skiing and in the summer it is for people like me to wander around and become lost in a swamp in. I hit the cache about half way through a series of cachesl that day and had a ball with it. I pretty well summed up my experience with it when I wrote the find log for it. I really think that the cache provides an experience that is kind of what geocaching is all about, a person, a gps unit, interesting terrain, wildlife and the chance to get out and get some fresh air.

RonGerth
Douglas, WY
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
I would like to nominate "Gauntlet: Seldon's Century Hide " (GC1EJ4X) for September cache of the month.

We're not falling for that one again! Nice try though. Wink

Well he DOES say it on the cache page, but i suppose its best to remove the fingerpointing...
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks...these are all great writeups!!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: