MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Coordinates on a Cache Listing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Updating Coordinates on a Cache Listing Reply with quote

I was wondering how others feel about being able to delete a post on a cache page after requesting a change in the coords. The reason for my question is this:

Say a new cache comes out and I download the coords to my GPSr. Later that day I check the cache page logs to see if it has been found. No Finds yet, so I figure I will take off for the find. Well it turns out I am .45 miles away because the cache owner requested coord changes which went through, but then deleted the post showing that change, so I was non the wiser.

My take is that a post of this type should not be allowed to be deleted so cachers know there have been changes made. Anyone else have an opinion one way or the other?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache Owners can delete or leave most any post they want...

...on the flip side of the coin...

Those are the chances one takes when being the possible First-to-Find...you would be among the first to note the cache is off...or in this case...among the first to know the coordinates were changed...
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Cache Owners can delete or leave most any post they want...

I agree that a cache owner can do this, but should they? Personally, no matter how new or old the cache is, seeing an updated coord log is helpful. I've seen old caches with them and then made sure I had the updates in my GPSr.

A twist of the question a bit. How many times should an owner be able to change the coords in a 24hr period? If they need to change it more than twice, shouldn't they instead disable the cache, get this coords straightened out then re-enable it?
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the owner can do this. I just feel it shouldn't be done. It is nice to be able to see the icon on the page (near the total finds, dnf, published, notes) showing the coords were updated even if the post has been moved down the page on an older cache.

I was wondering if a post of this nature "should be" locked so it can't be deleted or if you feel that it is just one of those things as a cacher you just need to deal with.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only thought is that no matter if you're philosophy is right or wrong, geocaching.com isn't likely to change the system anytime soon. I'd just keep the waypoint list in your GPSr up to date. This can't be all that common.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it does suck that it happened...but I think it is just one of those things that a cacher deals with...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Geocaching Websites.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you posted this on the GC Website forum? If enough people think its a good idea the PTB just might incorporate something on this. Maybe like a coords adjusted Date icon.
I have had this happen to me a few times. Dont always get a chance to read the notes and such on the cache web page.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set up notifications of coord changes, just by checking an extra box when you set up notifications of new caches. Obviously the cache owner should not be deleting coord change logs; that is just inconsiderate.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
You can set up notifications of coord changes, just by checking an extra box when you set up notifications of new caches. Obviously the cache owner should not be deleting coord change logs; that is just inconsiderate.

You are correct that can be done, but if you don't get alerts sent to a cell phone, you wouldn't know the coords changed while you are in the field. To an extent I agree it's a risk to all geocachers that the coords will be updated, but if they are updated 4, 5, 6, 7 times within a few hours of being published, I think that's good info to have. That way when you get back, you'd clearly see that the coords changed while you are looking. I don't think it's very ethical of the cache owner to delete those logs. We all make mistakes and those logs help everyone. I agree we all play the way we want and GC will most likely not change that policy, but I've been there. I've been out searching for a cache only to find the coords were updated while I was out. Seeing the update log, let me know that I was in the right location, just with bad coords.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
You are correct that can be done, but if you don't get alerts sent to a cell phone, you wouldn't know the coords changed while you are in the field.

Well, it seems like people would be more likely to get email alerts in the field than have access to the cache page.
Quote:
To an extent I agree it's a risk to all geocachers that the coords will be updated, but if they are updated 4, 5, 6, 7 times within a few hours of being published, I think that's good info to have.

I haven't seen that personally. After 3 updates, I would probably wait for someone else to find it and post coords. Wink
Quote:
I don't think it's very ethical of the cache owner to delete those logs.

I agree 100%, and it seems that hider has done the same thing at least once in the past, assuming I found the cache TWS is talking about. Why do that?? To reduce clutter? To hide evidence that he screwed up? Bad idea, either way.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Obviously the cache owner should not be deleting coord change logs; that is just inconsiderate.

I've done this before. I doubt that I deleted the change logs the first day, but rather than have my own logs populating one of my cache pages - I've deleted my own notes and change logs after the deed was done to clean it up a little.

I also usually delete pfalstad's found logs after a sufficient amount of time has passed that he won't notice. Wink

After reading this thread though, I can definitely see how this might be an issue if I didn't wait long enough to make the change in coords note something of a relic. Once they get old enough, I still wouldn't hesitate deleting these since they just junk the works up.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I'd just keep the waypoint list in your GPSr up to date.

I agree, but that is hard to do when the coords changed 7 times in 6 minutes. And it would be easier to keep the coords updated if you new they changed.

I see pfalstads note on setting up the notification for all coord changes, which I have now done, so thanks for the tip on that!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

I think using the term inconsiderate crosses the line. I mean, how long does it take to update the coords of the actual listing?? No time at all. I would guess you should be pulling a PQ more frequently.. Cool
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I'd just keep the waypoint list in your GPSr up to date.

I agree, but that is hard to do when the coords changed 7 times in 6 minutes. And it would be easier to keep the coords updated if you new they changed.

I see pfalstads note on setting up the notification for all coord changes, which I have now done, so thanks for the tip on that!

7 times in 6 minutes? Hmm....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: