MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garbage Pail Kids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Garbage Pail Kids Reply with quote

I should have addressed this issue earlier, but didnt. Now it's the cause for delayed approval of some caches.

I didn't want to get into unpleasant past history, but I think it's necessary as part of my explanation.

Last April-May 20+ caches of mine disappeared. Two were gone the day after I placed them. It was a cold rainy day and NOBODY was in the park but me. No muggles involved for sure.

I didn't place any new caches for quite awhile. When I did, I wanted to make them cost as little as possible. That was pretty easy. The bucket was 79 cents, logbook was 33 cents, pencils and ziplocks and a few trash bags. That was it. No trinkets.

There were never any covers for the buckets. The logbooks were double or triple bagged. A note was placed on the cache page concerning use of a sharpie. Water and ice should not damage anything.

Some of the logbooks were fine. Some got wet. I thought my explanation inferred that there were no "goodies" in the cache.

What I would like to know, honestly, is if it's time for these to be retired? If you have found any of them, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your good intentions with these garbage pail caches, but the ones I've visited recently were either not in good condition, or not really interesting (can't trade items, and generally they're super-super-easy finds). I actually prefer the rusted cans where I have to actually work to snap the thing open. Wink

-Aaron
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the idea behind this series of caches, but I think the execution was flawed. An unlidded plastic bucket, filled with wet trash bags seems like litter itself, rather than a method to clean it up. In retrospect, a cache loaded with CITO canisters (35mm film can with a trash bag inside) would be a much more pleasant find.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one this summer....didn't know what it was....I actually grabbed the bucket....loaded it up with trash.....
its wasnt' until I got back to my car ..that I then remembered it was a trashy kids pail.........

I would have rather seen a note on the pail or something telling me what you wanted to do(intentions of the cache)....
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of waterproof containers. I've found too many wet, musty, mouldy caches. It's worth the effort.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=318345

just what KING B needs ...over 3,000 ammo boxes...current bid is 35 bucks ....look at the photo.[/img]
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my, I wonder what the shipping would be. MnGCA could use them in the new game Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
On my, I wonder what the shipping would be. MnGCA could use them in the new game Shocked

The game could consist of hiding it in one of the 3552 ammo cans and you having to find which one it is in then rehiding it in another Wink

Silent Bob
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3000 ammo boxes is perfect!

I envision an "us vs. them" or capture the flag style game. Two teams are randomly selected from MN cachers statewide. Then, every cacher on each team hides a cache.

At the appointed time, each team is given the coordinates of the other teams caches. They have a few weeks to find them all. The team that finds the most caches wins. Plundered caches count against the team that hid them (lousy hide penalty).

Or something like that.

Rinse and repeat every month.

-Rick
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool. I want to be on RJ and CAG's team. I wouldn't want to have to find their's when the point is not to have them found. There would have to be time between games for retrival of no finds, by the hiders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, except for Blasted Billy, they're history.

Same concept, revised, should appear in the spring.

Thanks

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh my lord...so does that mean your the high bidder on the ammo cans????
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
ohh my lord...so does that mean your the high bidder on the ammo cans????

I hope so. Outside of many of the custom cache containers that I've found that are very good, generally I find that ammo caches are the best generic containers out there. I think it's a formitable goal for KB if he purchased all of those. After he's done with one in every county in Minnesota, he can work on every county in the United States... and with Ammo Caches, they'll hold up.

-Aaron
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine walking into someone's garage, filled with 3000 ammunition boxes? I'd probably grin politely and back out slowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: