MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Desired GPSr Features in one Unit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Most Desired GPSr Features in one Unit Reply with quote

I've often thought about the perfect geocaching tool to be used exclusively for geocaching, and wondered if I was a designer for Garmin-- what kinds of features it would have. Some of the features are already out and in the woods, so-to-speak, but often times the features aren't on one device, or it doesn't behave in a manner that is conducive to the average geocacher.

That being said if you were a designer, what kinds of things would you want?
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of paperless caching as handled by the Colorado. I also think the Colorado does an excellent job integrating topographic and city maps. The topo shading is OK but there is room for improvement, perhaps.

I wish there was a pairing function that would work over great distances so that paired devices could talk to each other over a distance of a few miles or so to figure out where others are. This would be awesome for competitive geocaching events like MOGA and the Deadmen caching event that was held a few years back.

Not every geocache is memorable, but everyone still has to log them regardless. It'd be nice to have a small camera built into the device with geotagging.

Wifi access in a GPSr sounds appealing. Perhaps this would be best accomplished by taking a coordinate position, logging into geocaching.com and then dynamically pulling cache listings directly to your unit. No thumbing, just turn it on, get to some wireless access and then off you go!
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have high hopes for the iPhone, now that the new one has GPS and third-party apps. The GPS reception probably isn't very good, realistically.. Although, it does use information from cell towers to improve the signal, so maybe it could be as good or better? If so, someone could write a GPS app for it, making it a phone-GPS-PDA-camera-internet-all-in-one device. That would be awesome...
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother, whom has recently turned into a geocacher, has aspirations to do this himself.

Touch screen on a GPS would be pretty sweet. I'm not entirely sure the new iPhones will be a valuable replacement for a stand-alone handheld.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Desired GPSr Features in one Unit Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
That being said if you were a designer, what kinds of things would you want?

The features I would like in my handheld:
- Cellphone
- GPS
- Ability to run custom applications, ie. Geocaching tool.
- Internet/Email/Calendar
- Mapping software with autorouting

Granted, I am not a MAC guy. But I have to agree with Pfalstad. The new iPhone seems to come pretty darn close to the perfect handheld in terms of features. A live internet connection on your GPSr and a good geocaching app on it removes the reason to loading cache info back and forth from your device, keeping it up-to-date through a computer or messing around with pocket queries. I cannot recall the number of times I've searched for a disabled cache due to this issue.

Unfortunately for the traditional GPS manutacturers. The game for handhelds is rapidly shifting away from their devices since they cannot offer internet connectivity at a reasonable cost, which the cellphone guys can.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well have a really nice camera built in too!
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Most Desired GPSr Features in one Unit Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Unfortunately for the traditional GPS manutacturers. The game for handhelds is rapidly shifting away from their devices since they cannot offer internet connectivity at a reasonable cost, which the cellphone guys can.

I was not aware, but it seems like Garmin is trying to correct this discrepancy by getting into the cellphone market as well. http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/.

-Jonas
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the beginning of the end! I would also be nice if you could record voice messages that were geotagged right in the field, like that iPhone app OregonBrad posted about yesterday.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 'old' (classic?) iPhone, but have been watching development of a Geopher, an applet that puts a geocaching interface on the iPhone. Doesn't look like it's ready for primetime yet, but should be great when it's finished.

What I'd really like is a version of Cachemate for the phone, that's the only reason I keep my Palm around anymore...
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
I have an 'old' (classic?) iPhone, but have been watching development of a Geopher, an applet that puts a geocaching interface on the iPhone.

Julia has an iPhone 3G so I've been trying to find a good iPhone geocaching app. So far this one is the most promising I've found. http://www.nonameindustries.com/geodeapp/
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I hate to say it but I like to leave something for the imagination. I like the new antenna system which is more accurate, I like having some logs and the hint and stuff along with me but still for me it is a walk in the woods, the mountains, the swamp (if I am going after Gilligan's Island) or just a walk along a park trail. I like the simplicity of it all where the unit gets me into the area and lets me do the searching. I like the Colorado 400t that I have, am very very very glad that software version 2.6 came out because I was having a weird problem that was fixed by it.

I do not want my GPS unit to be able to make a phone call, I have a cell phone for that. I do not want my GPS unit to take a photo, I have a camera for that. I get my coffee from Caribou or make it myself so a coffee maker is out too. I do not want them to become so complex and powerful that it degrades the basic functions of a GPS unit when it comes to functioning as a GPS unit, Or become so expensive that I have an even harder time talking my wife into getting one.

Leave them alone, get the antenna to the best possible antenna, get me a few logs and a nice day with a decent pair of hiking boots and let me go caching.

Ron
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Julia has an iPhone 3G so I've been trying to find a good iPhone geocaching app. So far this one is the most promising I've found. http://www.nonameindustries.com/geodeapp/

Wow, Groundspeak came up with one! Didn't expect that...

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=a49f7e8dde0047ce2d3dca82c1535374&showtopic=204713&st=0&p=3654012&#entry3654012
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of our Garmins have a thermometer. How about if they actually show us the temperature.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Most of our Garmins have a thermometer. How about if they actually show us the temperature.

My understanding is you can't see the data. I could be wrong about that though.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
bflentje wrote:

My understanding is you can't see the data. I could be wrong about that though.

That's my point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: