MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended: Bryant Lake Regional Park

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Recommended: Bryant Lake Regional Park Reply with quote

I'm sure many of you local older-timers already know the merits of caching this place, but as part of my "rediscovering the joys of Geocaching after several years of drive-up-micro fatigue" tour, this morning I hit Bryant Lake Regional Park near Eden Prairie. There are 7 caches listed throughout this park, and I discovered that it's possible to park in 3 different parking areas to cut down on the walking to get 'em, but instead I elected to park centrally at N44 52.948 W93 25.541 and hike the entire park on foot...several miles. It was GREAT! Varied (but not overwhelming) terrain, a nice combination of paved and unpaved trails, great views of the Lake from up close and from up above, and most importantly, premium quality non-micro-size caches with spot-on coordinates (which was quite a change from the majority of poorly-waypointed caches I hunted over at Bush Lake Park earlier this week (exception: GP's Bush Lake cache, whose coords were spot on)).

I would strongly recommend caching Bryant Lake Park...my experience there today is what Geocaching is supposed to be all about!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Same Wavelength as Drat Reply with quote

I also walked (ok I needed to do some running due to a few time constraints) to clean up all the caches in this park and it was great.

If you are a real die-hard you could keep heading north out of the park and walk the trail over to Lone Lake Park and do those too -- also a great area.

I'm all about the woods and the walking.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Same Wavelength as Drat Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I also walked (ok I needed to do some running due to a few time constraints) to clean up all the caches in this park and it was great.

If you are a real die-hard you could keep heading north out of the park and walk the trail over to Lone Lake Park and do those too -- also a great area.

I'm all about the woods and the walking.

I did Lone Lake yesterday evening, and yes, I could have walked over in the morning if I'd had the time.

Of course the difference over at Lone Lake was the quality of the caches...not nearly up to the level at Bryant Lake. Sorry, "small" size caches in the middle of the flippin' jungle, where a regular would work better, are not my idea of a grand ol' time. (I did enjoy the walk/hike, though.)
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Same Wavelength as Drat Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
Sorry, "small" size caches in the middle of the flippin' jungle, where a regular would work better, are not my idea of a grand ol' time. (I did enjoy the walk/hike, though.)

Are you ever happy? Wink
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Same Wavelength as Drat Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
drat19 wrote:
Sorry, "small" size caches in the middle of the flippin' jungle, where a regular would work better, are not my idea of a grand ol' time. (I did enjoy the walk/hike, though.)

Are you ever happy? Wink

Yes, I was happy for several hours caching Bryant Lake Park, thankyouverymuch. If others would follow the lead of the Bryant Lake hiders (and Hyland Lake for that matter, except for the one stupid micro-in-the-woods hide in there) and place caches in locations worth visiting and with containers properly suitable to their locations, and properly mark their coordinates instead of having 50+ feet of "fudge", I'd be even happier.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Happy Reply with quote

As I recall Drat was really happy with my Staring Lake hide that involved a five gallon popcorn bucket stuffed up a huge hollow tree. : )

That hide site was sadly destroyed by lightning and I've been looking for a place to replicate it but no dice.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
As I recall Drat was really happy with my Staring Lake hide that involved a five gallon popcorn bucket stuffed up a huge hollow tree. : )

That hide site was sadly destroyed by lightning and I've been looking for a place to replicate it but no dice.

One of my favorites (although wasn't it Miller Park?)! Silent Bob had a picture of me (which he and I have both been unable to locate, dang it!) of that tree "giving birth" to me - it was classic!

Although as everyone knows I'm one of the more notorious micro/small haters around here (and as always, not ALL micros/smalls, just ones where the location would support something more suitable, is all), I don't need 5-gallon buckets all the time, either. I just have no tolerance for needle/haystack hides such as what I hunted at Lone Lake, or that stupid micro at Hyland Lake - they demonstrate no creativity on the part of the hider. In a woods area with 9 thousand possible hide locations within a 20 foot radius, what possible value is there to hide something 2" x 2" or smaller...sheesh. As I posted in my logs on those Lone Lake caches the other day, I really did enjoy the hike throughout the park, but if you're going to take me off trail into the woods, fer cryin' out loud put a cache there worth finding within a reasonable period of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: