MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plan on making a cache....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillmarJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Plan on making a cache.... Reply with quote

Hey guys, been geocaching for a couple months now, and stumbled accross the site. But since doing a could caches now, I was planning on starting one. I know where I want to put it, but anything I should know before hand?

Last edited by WillmarJ on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you follow Groundspeak rules for placing a cache. You may want to make sure there are no rules that the park you may be using has. You should be able to find them here if there is. If there are problems you will hear from Surfer Joe, he does a great job reviewing caches. Do not get discouraged if you find out there is another cache in the area you want to hide it unless you have solved and know where all the puzzle caches are.

Most of all have fun!!
WillmarJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for sure there is none around the place I plan to put it at. I never once seen the "Rules for placing a cache" on geocaching.com.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillmarJ,

Please also note that if you are planning on placing one in any wildlife area they are off limits as of right now. There are a few out there that are grandfathered in in these areas, but no more are allowed to be placed in these areas. Hopefully at some point in the future we will be able to place more if we can get the bans lifted in these areas. About the only places now are parks in the city, county parks, and boat landing areas, which still are OK.

I thought we had all the areas in Willmar covered for caches. Wink Razz I am looking forward to new caches in the area if there are places to put them. Hide them and the cachers will come to find them.

loneeagle_24
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to chime in with a pet peeve of mine: the use of private property for geocaching without permission of the owner. Just within the last week I encountered trouble at two fairly long-standing caches. I parked at a location recommended on the cache page, only to be told that I was on private property and that public parking was not allowed. I have reason to believe one of those two caches is also hidden on private property without permission.
Places such as mall parking lots, common areas of housing developments and courtyards of office buildings may be public places but they are not publicly owned. For that reason permission must be obtained to place a cache there and it should be mentioned on the cache page that permission has been granted by the owner.
WillmarJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked into the place where i plan on going "walking trails by the college" and I was told that it was ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: