MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden Island Cache
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNArtteacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Garden Island Cache Reply with quote

Does any one know of a way to get out to Garden Island on Lake of the woods? I don't feel like pulling a boat 5 hours or paying 300 bucks to have someone take me out there. I am willing to pay but not that muck. If you have any ideas please let me know.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the event page for the most recent event there, you can get a charter boat at the marina at Young's Bay Resort. I don't understand why, but it does say:
Quote:
I KNOW that passports or birth certificates and a picture ID (kids too) are required to re-enter the US. Donít forget to stop at the Video phone at Jimís Corner both coming and going from the Angle. You will have to write down a check-in number when going back into Manitoba so have paper and pencil ready.

Why you can't go via the US to a US island, I'm not sure..but that's something to be aware of.

I'd bet the event host could possibly help you out with info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cross a small piece of Manitoba to get from Warroad to Young's Bay.

I'm going to be going after that cache sometime in the next few weeks. From the two excursions previously, it sounds like a charter boat that holds 8 or 9 costs about $225 (for three hours). In the next week or so, I'll probably figure out about when I'm going to try for it - and I think Herrwald is going to do it too. One or two more people and the per person rate isn't too bad (I know my wife wants a boat ride, so I will pay for two spots).
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:

but there are places in MN to depart from, right, you don't have to go into MB to find a boat to take you to the island?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Paklid wrote:

but there are places in MN to depart from, right, you don't have to go into MB to find a boat to take you to the island?

Seems likely, and was my first thought too. However, with Fargnot having all of the logistics from Young's Bay worked out, it might be easier to follow that worn path. The bonus is to be able to say that you did indeed travel to the Inlet Angle (or whatever it is we call that little piece of Minnesota).
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
sir_zman wrote:
Paklid wrote:

Seems likely, and was my first thought too. However, with Fargnot having all of the logistics from Young's Bay worked out, it might be easier to follow that worn path. The bonus is to be able to say that you did indeed travel to the Inlet Angle (or whatever it is we call that little piece of Minnesota).

Yep, you don't need passport for going across waters. It's for the drive across the border to the angle.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went on the first Garden Island Cruise. We had three boats and it cost $24/person.

From Warroad, you enter Canada where you need your passport. You then enter the US and clear customs via a video link at Jim's Corner.

You will be driving on gravel roads for ~10 miles.

According to our boat captain, it's approximately 25 miles from Zippel Bay to Garden Island, versus 12 miles from Young's Bay Resort to Garden Island.

Be prepared to get wet on the boat ride.

On the return, you enter Canada and clear customs via Jim's corner. Then you enter the USA and again will need your passport.
MNArtteacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: found a way Reply with quote

I have found a way to get to the island and it cost about 70 bucks an hour and it takes 2 hours to get out and back. The cost is not per person but by the hour. I am thinking about doing it this Sat and am wondering if there is anyone else who is interested in taking the trip with myself and my girlfriend. The more people we have the cheapper it will be. E-mail me at arossmn@yahoo.com if you are interested.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passports aren't required yet. You have until June 2009. Until then, you can get through customs with just a certified birth certificate and a driver's license or ID card. The Canadian agents are cool. Coming back into the US, the US agents, not so cool. I was along on the first trip as well, and it's well worth the trip to the Angle and go from there. Great experience. Plus, you can stop and pick up a cache at Moose Lake, Manitoba on the way.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: passport Reply with quote

Double check on passport to Canada. I just went to PEI and it was required.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: passport Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Double check on passport to Canada. I just went to PEI and it was required.

PEI?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Prince Edward Island.

Although I don't know how you got there, passports are required for air travel, but I don't believe they are for land travel (until June '09). That's my understanding anyway.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, bflentje, Norvina, my wife and I are going to be chartering a boat (from Captain Deb) using the same trail blazed by Fargnot the afternoon of Saturday August 2nd.

As the date approaches, I would appreciate calm thoughts from everybody so the big lake is smooth as glass and Deb feels comfortable taking a load of geocachers out to the island. I think Herrwald and Connie are also going (not sure about that). That means at least two and possibly four - or five seats are available on this boat (and Deb can get another if needed). Per person expense is more than likely $150 divided by the number of passengers.

If you're interested in catching on, let me know.
herrwald
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Paklid's three hour tour Reply with quote

I put the pressure on Connie to commit to this adventure. I hope to know by tomorrow, Wednesday, whether we will be going. I will post ASAP.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it. Although, it'll be tough to beat caching on the Outer Banks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: