MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching in the snow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Geocaching in the snow Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried to geocache in 12" of snow? I don't think I'll be doing much geocaching now around this area. Maybe I could hide a couple of caches yet? It would almost make it too easy for the next party to find though. Tracks to the cache site in the snow would be pretty obvious. Sad I suppose a person could place a couple of virtual caches on the geocache site? If you can ever get the administrators to approve a virtual. I have tried in the past with no such luck on virtuals. Mad
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracks in the snow have seldom lead me to an easy find. The tracks are usually to confusing to get anything out of other than an assurance you are in the right vicinity.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching in the snow Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I suppose a person could place a couple of virtual caches on the geocache site? If you can ever get the administrators to approve a virtual. I have tried in the past with no such luck on virtuals. Mad

Make multi-caches that include "virtuals" that you incorporate into finding the physical cache.

I will purposefully make tracks that are confusing to others, but I am mean like that.

Silent Bob
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think caching is easier in the winter time, EXCEPT after a new snowfall. The most caches I've found in one day was in the winter with a foot of snow on the ground (nine finds). Granted it hadn't snowed for anything significant for weeks. Think about it; no leaves for satellite intereference, no wet shoes, Very Happy NO BUGS Very Happy , no crowds, sometimes tracks right to the cache. I've tried finding a cache after just a few inches of snow and it is too confusing. Just so many places to look! And if the cache is hidden on the ground, forget about it Mad . You'd never find it unless it was obvious like the only tree in a field or something like that. When I hide caches, I always take into consideration snowfall and how it will affect the difficulty level of it. I don't hide too many caches on the ground anymore for this fact. It makes it a lot more difficult to find a good spot that won't get plundered and is off the ground but I think it's worth it. Just my 2 centavos.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember a geocaching expedition on a sunday morning in early december, 2002. it was a bit windy and cool, but not bad for early december. there was no snow on the ground, fortunately, because i struggled enough as it was to find one of the caches. ("down by the creek," if i recall correctly.)

having reached the nice round find total of 100 recently, i was content to take a couple of months off. then came the promise of the last nice day of the year, last thursday. wanting to take advantage of it, i began to rearrange my schedule to allow me several hours of daylight and mild temperatures to partake in outdoor activities, including geocaching. then came the food poisoning incident, which derailed that plan entirely.

given my recovery period, and limited access to daylight prior to this weekend's "winter blast," it looked like find #101 would have have to wait indefinitely.

but feeling better on sunday, and having to run to target anyway, i decided to step up to the challenge i've shunned thus far. i decided to geocache in the snow. it was still coming down a bit, and it was windy, but i braved the elements to search for a recently placed cache.

with no tracks to follow, i had to trust my GPSr. it's instincts were right, but i doubted them for a time. so if the tracks haven't been blown over completely, there are some misleading ones in the general vicinity.

this cache had a difficulty of 2. i was lucky, i stumbled upon the hiding spot despite inches of snow. this cache would likely have been much easier to find without the snow. with it, there was no indication of the hiding spot. some cite "the force" in their successes. if i've ever been assisted by said force, sunday was certainly the day.

and the beauty of it all is that until the snow melts completely, even with the tracks in and around the cache area, it may be just as difficult, if not more so, to find that cache.

as for virtuals, loneeagle, despite my abuse and assault of a gc.com admin in my persistent quest to gain a virtual cache approval (sarcasm mode off), it seems to me that with very few exceptions, geocaching.com is trying to distance itself from virtual caches. while i agree that not every roadside historical marker needs to be one, virtuals can point a person in a direction off the main road a few miles to an interesting point that you'd otherwise never learn about. i can think of a few good examples from my limited virtual caching experiece. but again, that's no longer considered worthy at gc.com, unless the location is in the middle of a decidely cache-unfriendly park or preserve. it seems that creating offset caches using points of virtual interest is the only way to go these days.
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Caching in the snow. Reply with quote

Well, winter is upon us!!!! Went out on Friday and boy, did we have some problems finding caches in the snow. #1- a workout to get to the cache site, #2 the increased difficulty because of the snow cover. I have to say! I sure was fustrated, even by one that R.J. had hide in the rain. Its supposed to be in plain site, not with the snow! Surprised

I guess I will need to bring some new tools along with me on my adventures.

-JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B3Fiend
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching in the snow. Reply with quote

KC0QEG wrote:
Well, winter is upon us!!!! Went out on Friday and boy, did we have some problems finding caches in the snow. -JT

I was thinking of making a suggestion to gc.com to add a "seasons" description data field to the cache record to describe a 3-season or a 4-season cache.

i.e. if the cache is hidden above ground with manageable terrain, etc it could be described as a 4-season cache. If you think of it, caches are not supposed to be buried - but being under 2 feet of snow seems pretty buried to me! Very Happy

The last couple caches I hid last month, I specifically hunted down a site that is accessible in the snow, and made a note that it was available in the winter in my cache description.

-B3Fiend
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Caching in the snow. Reply with quote

B3Fiend wrote:
I was thinking of making a suggestion to gc.com to add a "seasons" description data field to the cache record to describe a 3-season or a 4-season cache.

i.e. if the cache is hidden above ground with manageable terrain, etc it could be described as a 4-season cache. If you think of it, caches are not supposed to be buried - but being under 2 feet of snow seems pretty buried to me! Very Happy

On cache pages you can use "The Selector" tool from Texas Geocaching... Their tool is located here.

I have used that on a few of my caches I will get around to outfitting all of them with it eventually.

Silent Bob
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: cache Ids Reply with quote

When we were in Kansas City caching over Thanksgiving, we noticd that several of their caches had 3 common ids on them- you could rate:Prickly ash, poison ivy, bugs - we thought it was a good idea. the more I start surfing other state sites, I see there is room for imporvement on my cache pages. By the way- there are some really neat caches in KC.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used The Selector Tool from the Texas Geocaching club on all my caches. That is pretty slick. Can some web geek make one of those for MNGCA to have on this webite? Maybe make it pertain more to our climate? For example, I don't think we need anything warning of nearby cactus'. (Or is it cacti?)

And by saying geek, I don't mean any harm. For Christ's sake, who isn't a geek who is into this geocaching thingy? Wink

tomslusher
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomslusher wrote:
I used The Selector Tool from the Texas Geocaching club on all my caches. That is pretty slick. Can some web geek make one of those for MNGCA to have on this webite? Maybe make it pertain more to our climate? For example, I don't think we need anything warning of nearby cactus'. (Or is it cacti?)

That's a cool idea - I'll see what I can do. It may be a bit given my schedule of late.

tomslusher wrote:

And by saying geek, I don't mean any harm. For Christ's sake, who isn't a geek who is into this geocaching thingy? Wink

Laughing Guilty as charged.
goucher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first winter geocaching, and I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. When I decide on the cache to look for, I read through the logs to scan for "winter friendly" posts. I'm still new to this sport, so I like to keep it as simple as possible. I often thought it would be a great idea to rate these caches as winter friendly or not or even "Kid friendly" or not as I sometimes bring the litttle ones along. It is frustrating to waste a kid friendly cache on myself when I am alone.
With nobody inside them! -seuss
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, microcaches are very tough in snow.

I finally got out and went caching for the first time, with a friend that just got his GPS. The first place we went to was difficult in fresh snow. We didn't find it.

The other thing is trying to make it not so obvious you were looking in an area. Some places that is very tough without ALOT of covering your tracks.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know about 12" of snow. Luck if there are 2 here now. But I have started to put on my cache pages whether they are "Winter Friendly" or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: