MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache request...Lake Superior Basin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Cache request...Lake Superior Basin Reply with quote

Received this email this morning...if someone wants to do this, please contact directly and post so I know. If no one has interest, I'll do it...thanks:

Hello,

I just learned about your group and thought you might be interested in this annual day to celebrate the world’s largest lake, Lake Superior, on the third Sunday in July (July 20 this year). Maybe someone could cache something lake-related in the Lake Superior basin of MN during July? I have some free color postcards of a MN scene and free Lake Superior Day buttons I could send to you that cachers could take when they find the site?

Here’s information about the day below. Anyone can do anything they want to celebrate Lake Superior, similar to an Earth Day. Hope you can join in on the fun! We can put info about your activity on our web site for free and also share the info with the Lake Superior magazine online calendar.

Individuals and families, churches and kids, communities and clubs, and businesses and industries will be holding activities or

events that celebrate Lake Superior Day on the third Sunday in July (July 20 this year). Lake residents and visitors are invited to find their own personal way to connect and enjoy the world’s largest lake on Sunday.

Lake Superior Day was started in the early 1990s as a way to highlight the importance of this great water body to the

environment and economy of the basin. Since then many events have been held to educate or entertain people about lake issues, and the special places and recreational opportunities the lake offers. The Lake Superior Binational Forum is promoting this basin-wide event to highlight the personal, environmental, economic, spiritual connections people have to this unique world treasure.

Anyone is invited to hold activities or events that celebrate the lake. Churches, businesses, and groups around the lake are already sponsoring special actions for July 15. For example, this year groups and communities are planning free festivals, musical concerts, poetry readings, beach clean ups, and special church services in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Ontario.

The Forum's website offers ideas about how the day is being celebrated and what you can do to protect the lake at http://www.superiorforum.info. Click on “Current Projects.” New information is posted regularly. For more information email lakesuperiorday@northland.edu; call (715) 682-1489.

The Lake Superior Binational Forum is a multi-sector stakeholder group of American and Canadian volunteers that work together to provide input to governments about lake issues and educate basin residents about ways to protect and restore the lake. Members come from Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Ontario.

The Forum is located in the United States at the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute at Northland College in Ashland, WI, and funded in the US by a grant from the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Great Lakes National Program Office. The Canadian Forum office is at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and funded by Environment Canada.

Lissa Radke

US Coordinator

Lake Superior Binational Forum

Northland College

1411 Ellis Ave.

Ashland WI 54806

(715) 682-1489

http://www.superiorforum.info

"Water is life, and the quality of water determines the quality of life."

--Lake Superior Binational Program vision statement

The next Lake Superior Day is Sunday, July 20, 2008!
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dmnrec - neat idea, I'll help out this this - several Duluth caches are named for streams, some potential to tie these to some watershed info.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
Hi Dmnrec - neat idea, I'll help out this this - several Duluth caches are named for streams, some potential to tie these to some watershed info.

Great! Thanks! You can contact her directly to get the stuff to put in the cache(s). She's also looking for WI residents to put some over there as well...so if you can think of anyone, let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: