MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mngca.org forum and its effect on the geocaching.com forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: mngca.org forum and its effect on the geocaching.com forum Reply with quote

I see the MNGCA forum as a great way to communicate with local cachers on local issues, but how do we get newbies to geocaching to use this site for local topics rather than the Midwest section on the forum? I can see topics showing up on both forums and the community being somewhat splintered. Maybe we can get a link on the Groundspeak site referring to the MNGCA site as the place to go for local MN topics. What do you think about the somewhat redundant message boards?
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, there are some good discussions going on, on the national site, regarding our parks.

ATTENTION! Minnesota Geocachers...

Geocaching in MN State Parks

To make people visiting the geocaching.com forum aware of our site and our forum, we do have a few threads on the groundspeak forum announcing the MnGCA web site.

Geocaching prohibited in MN State Parks

Minnesota Geocaching Association

Events that we host which are posted on geocaching.com and reference MnGCA will also introduce cachers to our organization. For that matter, if cachers want to increase awareness of our group, they could include links to www.mngca.org on their geocaching.com posts or caches.

I don't know that having good discussions in both places is necessarily a bad thing, but we do want Minnesota cachers to at least be aware of our organization. What are your ideas?
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jill -- there is a place for both forums, but it seems the "big" site forum gets so nasty over trivial things -- I try to avoid it at all times.

I have already put MnGCA links on all my cache pages last Monday night, either in the very top or the very bottom of the page -- even my Wisconsin cache has one. I don't know if anyone has clicked through on one of them yet. I am sure that when newbies are out cache looking, a handy link might help some of them to find us.

Perhaps if you post very often to the big forums you could put a link to the main site in your signature -- that might generate some positive interest by those who read the big site and don't know about this one yet.

I am looking forward to the logo "buttons" we will get (eventually) for our pages and posts, but until that time a plain old link ought to work out fine.

If you want me to send you the HTML, let me know, but I am assuming that you already know how to do that. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked, we have a link on the Search By State page for Minnesota. I just edited all my cache pages to let everyone who looks at them know that park administrators do read the logs, so they shouldn't do anything stupid, and at the same time, I put in a little note to check out the MnGCA website.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea!!!
I am going to add the park admin warning to mine too.

Especially those in the actual metro -- we don't really have that much trouble up here in the northern 'burbs. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, after I replied last night I was thinking about how cool it was that you wanted to bring more MN geocaching discussions to the MnGCA forum. I'm glad to see that people are really using this site and forum. We have had over 100 posts and have 24 registered members, and the site and the forum have been up only 5 days!
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: mngca.org forum Reply with quote

Thanks Centris for the idea! I'll go ahead and put the link to the site on my cache pages as well. It only makes sense that MN cachers will be looking at MN cache pages and people will see a link to the site as soon as they start looking for caches.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: mngca.org forum and its effect on the geocaching.com for Reply with quote

EelSid wrote:
I see the MNGCA forum as a great way to communicate with local cachers on local issues, but how do we get newbies to geocaching to use this site for local topics rather than the Midwest section on the forum?

Simple. Wait for gc.com to replace their forum with Windows wallpaper.

-Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: