MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Nov 2003

Posts: 1846

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
But I can't wait until we wean ourselves from the middle east. When that happens, the middle east will most likely whither away hopefully taking a lot of the problems with them... or maybe, problems will get worse. Who knows.


OK I lied. Because I hate misleading statements. Lets get our facts straight.

Oil import data for the month of January was released on 8 February 2008. The United Stated Imported a little over 9 million barrels of oil a day.

The number one importer was Canada at 1.9M barrels a day.

The Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Kuwait) account for 2.66M combined or 29%

North America (Canada/Mexico) account for 3.16M barrels or 35%

Africa (Nigeria, Angola, Algeria, Chad) account for 1.6M barrels or 17.5%

South America (Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Congo) accounts for 1.6M barrels or 17.5%

Russia accounts for 80,000 barrels or less than 1%

If you assume 31 days of production/purchase that almost 281 million barrels imported.

Add on top of that January Crude Oil Production for the US was just ver 148 million barrels of oil.

Total Crude Oil for January would be about 429 million barrels.

Month import from the Middle East (combined) 82 million barrels or something just over 19%.


My point. Lets not blame our issues with oil on the Middle East. Yes they have a large reserve. They are not driving the world market price on oil nor are we spending most of our money buying Middle East oil.


But the majority of it is not sold to the US. It goes to Europe and Asia. The current prices of gasoline in Europe is averaging around 1.25 euros per liter or which is 4.73 euros per gallon or $7.40 USD. The highest is currently in the Netherlands at over $9.50 a gallon.

I sure believe that my geocaching days would come to a screeming halt if I had to pay $7 or $8 a gallon.


Edited to add where the data came from.

Crude Oil import data as reported by the US Department of Energy
_________________
Airborne All the Way!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4051

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
bflentje wrote:
But I can't wait until we wean ourselves from the middle east. When that happens, the middle east will most likely whither away hopefully taking a lot of the problems with them... or maybe, problems will get worse. Who knows.


OK I lied. Because I hate misleading statements. Lets get our facts straight.


But I didn't lie, I was speaking opinion. I wasn't blaming oil issues on the middle east. But claiming that maybe if we weren't dependent on the middle east that they'd whither away and take their issues with them, regardless of the amount we buy from them. And then I stated, maybe they wouldn't either. So let's just keep this on track before it gets locked...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 02 Nov 2005

Posts: 325

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter which side of this debate you fall on, here are some words from the great George Carlin:

"The planet is fine. The people are ******."
_________________
The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so.
-- Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is it warming when we have days like today.
feels more like cooling to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 03 Mar 2007

Posts: 1267

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casinoman wrote:
how is it warming when we have days like today.
feels more like cooling to me.


They are now trying to say "climate change" since temps are not warmer everywhere and tying the two together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so here is another question. If all of the glacers are floating in water now how is it that the water level will go up when they melt.

Was it not in basic sceince that we learned if you fill a glass with ice then water. Then let it melt that it would not over flow.

how is it that we will all be under water if the glacers melt.

Also we in most parts of the US have needed water because we have been in drought states for the last few years Question Question Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4051

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
casinoman wrote:
how is it warming when we have days like today.
feels more like cooling to me.


They are now trying to say "climate change" since temps are not warmer everywhere and tying the two together.


Of course. When you say "global climate change", you cover every base which means we're screwed no matter what the Gorenittes say. The warming is our fault... the cooling is our fault. And the sun is completely off the hook for any blame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4051

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casinoman wrote:
ok so here is another question. If all of the glacers are floating in water now how is it that the water level will go up when they melt.

Was it not in basic sceince that we learned if you fill a glass with ice then water. Then let it melt that it would not over flow.

how is it that we will all be under water if the glacers melt.

Also we in most parts of the US have needed water because we have been in drought states for the last few years Question Question Question


You're correct. Except the GCC (global climate change) crowd will have you falsely believe that the ice covering Antarctica and Greenland are melting too which takes the displacement variable out of the question, however allegedly.

And the need for water in drought stricken places??? When we're flooded, it will be salt water. It'll kill all of the crops.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
merkman
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 03 Jun 2006

Posts: 2032

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Y2K?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Jun 2005

Posts: 1766

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
They are now trying to say "climate change" since temps are not warmer everywhere and tying the two together.


They are trying to say "Climate Change" now since people found too many problems with "Global Warming" and could obviously tell that it was a crock. This way no matter what the weather is like, they can predict doom and gloom and blame mankind for the alleged ills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we are saying is that we will live soon on water world. I think that I will move closer to MT Everist. or what is the tallest MT I forget.

What did that plack say on water world when Costner read it somthing about some climed this MT.

Is Jupiter not all water do you spose that is what happend there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Jun 2005

Posts: 1766

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casinoman wrote:
Is Jupiter not all water do you spose that is what happend there.


No, it's a gas giant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4051

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casinoman wrote:
So what we are saying is that we will live soon on water world. I think that I will move closer to MT Everist. or what is the tallest MT I forget.

What did that plack say on water world when Costner read it somthing about some climed this MT.

Is Jupiter not all water do you spose that is what happend there.


Water World was a HORRIBLE movie. Costner's worst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Nov 2003

Posts: 1846

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't lie. My statement was in reference to myself that I lied because I was posting again to this thread.
_________________
Airborne All the Way!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2005

Posts: 369

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
No, it's a gas giant.


In the old days someone would have inserted a Yetti joke in here by now. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.