MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New tools for geocaching competitions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: New tools for geocaching competitions? Reply with quote

Don sent this to me and a light bulb went off in my head.
Maybe a chance for a new geocaching competition.

Quote:
----- Forwarded Message ----
To: STEVEN MERKLING <>
Cc:
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:09:35 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: MnGCA.org Question About the Website (ccyes)

Thanks a bunch. I know msteffel is going to be great help!

Not sure just how broad your group's mission is but if there is interest in developing the capacity to use GPS tools to track & compare individual performances against a group I can certainly make sure your group has a place to develop/acquire that expertise through my events.

Thank you for letting me connect with your group.

Don Curtis
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already things like Orienteering (http://www.mnoc.org/), Adventure Racing (http://marseries.com) and (when it was here) the Urban Challenge. All of those are time based, but the big difference is all of those are done with OUT a GPS and are instead done with map and compass. So one option would be do do the same thing, just with GPSs.

Of course for those mentioned above the participants are trying to find obvious orange and white markers that has a punch (or some other device) to prove that you were there. For geocaching I spend more time looking for the caches that you confounding people hide once I'm at the coordinates than the time it takes for me to get there Wink

So if you want something more timed based, that could easily be done but if you want to use a different aspect (maybe the route or something like that) it would take a bit more out of the box thinking. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

One side note: If people people upload info, it is just data and could be manipulated (not that I think anyone would, just that it's a possibility). Of course when at an event and downloaded directly from the GPS that would lessen the chance of that, but if it's something that people upload...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: