MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thermometer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
On units without a barometer it does use a satellite fix to determine altitude, although this method is actually less accurate than a pressure fix (that's why those with the "S" model of Garmins paid more for the pressure sensor).

If you ever plot your tracks with altitude from a GPS that uses the sats for altitude, you will notice large (100s of feet) fluctuations in altitude over the course of several miles.

Personally I've never found the altitude functions of GPS units to be accurate, whether it's determined by satellites or pressure. Same goes for the magnetic compasses.

I paid an additional $10 to get the "S" unit when I bought mine. It was a gamble that the compass features had been improved from earlier units that I had tried. I wasn't impressed and rarely turn it on.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I know I'm getting off the thermometer topic, but it kind migrated toward the accuracy of altitude in GPSs...

One attempt at a solution to getting an accurate altitude is motionbased's Gravity. http://wiki.motionbased.com/mb/Gravity It cross references the horizontal position (latitude/longitude) provided by the GPS with an elevation that has been acquired by professional survey.

Granted this is "after the fact" [it takes the .gpx file and goes from there] and cause it's following a survey it wont help if you were off the ground in a plane/helicopter/etc when you took the readings. But it supposedly more accurate, especially if your GPS doesn't have a Barometric Altimeter http://wiki.motionbased.com/mb/Barometric_Altimeter
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the last two posters are correct. My point is that even with the Csx if you turn off the barometer you can still get altitude off the sat fix. If you are interested in a baro altitude fix, you need to calibrate it that day and not turn it off. You have to calibrated it near the location you intend on being.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are in a changing weather pattern (in other words when the barometric pressure is rising or falling) you may need to calibrate more than once a day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: