MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anoka County Parks True or False?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider them to be banning geocaching, not restricting it.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I also believe that they are the *only* park system that we are aware of that has banned it outright as well. Then again, there are always life's little surprises that appear out of no where.

Is this a fair statement then?

Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota that effectively bans geocaching within their parks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not counting National Parks, BWCAW, etc, then yes.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This?

Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system, at the local level of government, in the entire state of Minnesota that effectively bans geocaching within their parks.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
To our knowledge at the local level of government, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota that effectively bans geocaching within their parks.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
At the local level of government, to our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota that effectively bans geocaching within their parks.
[/quote]
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota, below the state level of government, that effectively bans geocaching within their parks.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota, below the state level of government, which effectively bans geocaching within their parks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota, below the state level of government, which effectively bans geocaching within their parks.

Now I think you're just trying to get your post count up. Laughing

Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota, at or below the state level of government, which effectively bans geocaching within their parks.

merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Code:
To our knowledge, Anoka County is the only park system in the entire state of Minnesota, at or below the state level of government, which effectively bans geocaching within their parks.

I would have a problem with the at or below part of this.

I am assuming there are park systems at the state level that ban geocaching. I am wrong?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Code:

I would have a problem with the at or below part of this.

I am assuming there are park systems at the state level that ban geocaching. I am wrong?

If the group agrees that the DNR ban of caches WMAs, SNAs, etc, is a actually a restriction rather than a ban then there are no state-level agencies that I'm aware of that ban geocaching.

To me when you say "below the state level of government" you are implying that the state bans it.

In the end it doesn't matter to me what you choose - I just am providing you with some feedback to craft the statement you need that is accurate and usable.
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

If the group agrees that the DNR ban of caches WMAs, SNAs, etc, is a actually a restriction rather than a ban then there are no state-level agencies that I'm aware of that ban geocaching.

To me when you say "below the state level of government" you are implying that the state bans it.

Exactly. While the State does not allow caches in WMAs, SNAs, etc. and therefore "bans" caches in those areas it does not have an overall ban of caches on their lands since they are allowed in other areas (State parks). Therefore, unlike Anoka County, the State does not ban Geocaching, they allow it, but have restrictions. To me that is a huge difference.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all your great input so far.

This is exactly what I was looking for out of this thread.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we can all agree on this statement so far.

any other input?

Code:
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing any of the players -- I think it might also pay to note that even some entities that require registration, etc. are now actively promoting geocaching -- for example state parks and Hennepin. These are all entities that are serious about land management that have come to the conclusion that geocaching is a positive and innovative use of park lands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: