MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rickrich's maps, stats, and software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: rickrich's maps, stats, and software Reply with quote

Since mn.rr.com's webserver was screwed up for over a week, and I had stuff strewn across 2 different webservers anyway , I decided to take advantage of 1and1.com's "free for 3 years" offer and move all of my web stuff to a completely new site. Yeah, I'll have to move it again when 1and1.com tanks like so many others who tried to give away stuff in the dot-com craze. Apparently the Briits haven't figured out that the 1) Sign-em-up; 2) ??????; 3) Profit!!! business model doesn't work so well. Anybody remember NBCi.com? In the meantime, I get 500MB/5GB with shell, MySQL, and PHP for nada, and no popups or advertising.

Anyway, I have collected my newest cache maps, statistics, and linux software over here:

http://mngca.rkkda.com/

As usual, its still light on the eye candy, heavy on the information content.

Update your links.

-Rick
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Wow rick, there's some neat stuff here. Thanks. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an extra bonus, I'm now scraping the current location of RJ's Moving 123 cache and providing a map link for it.

At the picnic, there was some confusion as to the location of this cache. Its not on the North Shore!

-Rick
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Moving 123 was in Castle Rock. What I need is for some one to go get it and bring it to the west side of the cities and then no one touch it till I find it. : Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: GIANT clickable map of TC caches. Reply with quote

I saw on gc.com that someone wanted bigger maps, and that other people were piecing together maps to make really huge maps.

Well, I don't want to be left in the dust by progress. So here is my experimental GIANT cliickable map of Twin Cities caches. Right now its 6400x4800 at a scale of 30K:1 and centered on Minneapolis. Your browser should let you scroll around in the image (Mozilla does, at any rate). You can click on any cache and it will pull up the printable gc.com web page for the cache.

You will probably need a lot of memory on your computer and a broadband connection.

http://mngca.rkkda.com/big.html

It may be missing some caches because I overlaid the coords from a GPX file on it that doesn't have the same center coord as the map; I will fine tune this in the next few days.

-Rick
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GIANT clickable map of TC caches. Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
You will probably need a lot of memory on your computer and a broadband connection.

http://mngca.rkkda.com/big.html

It may be missing some caches because I overlaid the coords from a GPX file on it that doesn't have the same center coord as the map; I will fine tune this in the next few days.

Wow that loaded fast Smile I was expecting a three hour wait... VERY nice. You were certainly not outdone on that (although I haven't see any others Wink)

Silent Bob
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay I'm impresed Thanks for the mega map.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! If you expanded just a tad further north you would include several more of mine. Wink

What is the difference between the color and B&W icons?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the base image of the GIANT MAP is now 7400x7000 and more of Moe's caches make the cut. If this doesn't blow out your browser....

The monochrome icons indicate caches that I have already found. For the low, low price of free beers tonight, I will publish the GIANT MAP with the caches you have found instead Smile. Of course, in Moe's case that would be a pretty boring landscape of all monochrome icons.

If you are comfortable with command line driven programs, you can also create them yourself using my free software. Should run OK on Linux, Cygwin if you've got all the packages installed, and on OSX (but since I don't have a Mac, it might need minor tweaks to run there). I have not yet determined what the absolute limit is for basemaps generated by Tiger (your tax dollars at work), so you might be able to create some unbelievably large maps if you have a fast PC and a huge amount of memory.
Code:

# This command needs to be run only once, to get an unadorned basemap...
$ geo-map -a tiger -s30k -W7400 -H7000 -m -o map.png 45 -93.25

# Get the 700 nearest waypoints....
$ geo-nearest -ogpx -n700 45 -93.25 > tc700.gpx

# Overlay icons on the basemap and generate an HTML imagemap
$ geo-map -a map.png -t tc700.gpx -s30k -o big.png -h big.html 45 -93.25

The positioning of the icons gets somewhat imprecise towards the edges of the map right now. So don't rely on the GIANT MAP for navigation.

-Rick
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West a little more my son, "GO WEST".

Don't you have a job to keep? Very Happy

Go Richard, go Ricky, go.
(Cheering section)
(Go Rick didn't sound right, do know if you like Richard or Ricky) ROFLAO

Laughing Laughing Laughing
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for a few virtual beers...

I'm a geek who trades stocks for 1/2 year, and I "work" the other 1/2. Although honestly trading is more work than working. Since one of my swing trades cooperated by getting bought by Abbot Labs today, and with Greenspam bound to confuse an already overbought market, I decided early this morning to "get flat" (sell all positions) and sit on my hands today.

Idle hands are the work of a devil programmer. Twisted Evil

BTW, My close friends and family call me Ricky, my friends call me Rick, and I was never a Richard. My real first name is only known by the IRS and the postman.

-Rick
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool map! With my cheap computer and poor connetion speed, I only watched it scroll to Anoka, and that was after about 2 minutes! Ahh, broadband. The next step...then I'll have no excuse to leave the computer. Thanks for the map RR.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] West a little more my son, "GO WEST".

Virtual Beers to be sent as soon as I figure out a plan of how to.

Liverbird,WWPP
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WicketsWanderingPonyPatro"]
Quote:
West a little more my son, "GO WEST".
Virtual Beers to be sent as soon as I figure out a plan of how to.

Buy him a BW3 gift card. He'll have no problems swallowing that up Wink

Silent Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: