MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 2003 Cache of the Month (VOTE HERE)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Please vote for the December Cache of the Month
Gully Cache by Thomasina and Marksman
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Bandshell Cache by R.J.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Death Valley by Farmerted
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: December 2003 Cache of the Month (VOTE HERE) Reply with quote

It's time to vote! In this post you will find the caches which have been nominated to be the MnGCA December Cache of the Month.

Voting ends on November 30th. Rules for nominations here. Thanks to nomination submitters!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Nomination articles: (in the order they were nominated)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Gully Cache by Thomasina and Marksman (nom. by Wickets Wandering Pony Patrol)

Late Saturday afternoon we took my father in-law to find Gully Cache in
Wright county. I knew this park was here but had never been to this part of it. It's a good hike, with nice trails, hills and no straight line to the
cache. Easy to end up on the wrong side of the creek, but it's frozen now.
Definately not a quicky one but a very nice area and a nice hike for those
who like to exert them selves. I higly recommend way pointing your car. No cheating. Park in the lot. The sun was going down as we left and of course we took a faster trail out which took twice as long and it was getting very cold. Fun Fun fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bandshell Cache by R.J. (nom. by Moe the Sleeze)

R.J. excels in ingeniously hiding caches in very open public places.
The finest example of this, in my opinion, is his Bandshell Cache
hidden near the Lake Harriet Bandshell in Minneapolis. This cache is
hidden smack dab in one of the busiest pedestrian traffic locations
in the state but has survived unmolested by geo-muggles since last
February. It is safe to guess that hundreds of thousands of people
have walked within a few feet of this cache without accidently
discovering it. It is also safe to assume that the normal reaction
of the geocacher that finds it is a smack to the forehead accompanied
by an audible "Duh!"

Although the thrill of finding this one in the middle of a crowd of
people will be somewhat diminished in the winter months, this cache
is winter friendly and will be a fun hunt at any time of the year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death Valley by Farmerted (nom. by Wayfarin Stranger)

I spent about half an hour looking for it and when I eventually did find it, the cache of the month came to mind.
The cache is in the Irene Gluck park in St. Peter, a nice little park to explore.I don't know what other info you might need, but any more would be giving it away. The cache is just a GREAT hide!

Last edited by towlebooth on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
B3Fiend
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Death Valley Reply with quote

There are so many surprises with this cache.

First, the cache introduces me to a wonderful campground/nature park that I had no idea even existed, and I have lived 10 minutes away for 8 years!

Next, the approach to set the scene - You have to literally drive through the sprawling grounds of the St. Peter security hospital to reach the park entrance.

After you park, you then walk through a macabre scene of assorted bird-feeder craft projects presumably placed by the hospital patients. It is a scene reminiscent of "The Blair Witch Project" as you pass by the ornaments. Best experienced in the twilight before sunset.

As you are walking deeper into the cache area, it is impossible to get out of your head that any escaped mental patients from the security hospital would probably head for these woods immediately. (This is the same hospital that houses patients found "innocent by reason of insanity") Every little noise can make the skittish jump and check their backside.

...and then the hide - Just finding it is one thing.... The rest you'll have to experience for yourself.

-B3Fiend
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Gully Cache Reply with quote

I can vote for this one as it is the only one I have visited. Here is what I logged when I was there in April of 2002.

Went out this morning. Another park that I had never been to before! Thanks for setting this out here. Cleo and I found it in great shape and in a nice spot. We took the bushwhack route on the way back, by trying to follow the creek back to the lake. That is some really thick undergrowth in there. We did get to see an owl on that part of the hike. Near the bridge there were some wood ducks and a great blue heron. Check out the walk/dock to the pond. Took a baseball card (thanks PB) and left a Hide a key. JK Cleo PS: near the nature center we found a red fox pelt. Must have been used for a demonstration? Put it through the door handle of the building. Hope somebody brings it inside.

I always wondered how often the nature center was open and if they ever had any programs the general public could attend?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: