MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colorado - designed by monkeys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Colorado - designed by monkeys? Reply with quote

Seriously, people use this thing to find caches? I guess it just takes some getting used to, because I'm really having a hard time with mine. I used it today to find a really easy cache and spent half the time fiddling with the little wheel.

When I got the Colorado, the first issue I noticed was that it does not let you select caches or waypoints by type. That is a pain for me, because most of the time I like to mark certain caches and find only those, ignoring the rest. But I figured out that I can upload those marked caches as waypoints, in addition to loading all nearby geocaches, so that if I want to find a marked cache, I can just look through the waypoints.

Another issue is that when looking at a geocache, I can't view the area around it. It just shows me the area near my car, with a purple line going off the screen in the direction of the geocache, which could be miles away. What good is that? I need to look at the cache area to see if it looks interesting, look for parking, see if there are caches nearby, etc.

So now I drive to the cache and park. Now what? I need to be in the automotive profile for autorouting to work. But automotive mode doesn't work for finding caches, because it's locked on road, and the map doesn't have north up like I want. Do I seriously have to switch profiles every time I get out of the car? I noticed that there is a profile item for "Off Road Transitions", where it can be "auto", "manual", or "distance". What do those do? I tried "auto" and it didn't seem to work.

And once I switch profiles, I have to find the nearest geocache again. I can't just press the find button twice and select the first item on the list, oh no. I also can't go through "Recent Finds", because geocaches don't seem to show up in that list either. So I have to scroll down to geocaches and select the nearest. Maybe with practice it'll be quicker, but right now it seems pretty tedious.

Having the description, hint, and logs right on the GPS is very nice, though.

Are there any tricks that I'm missing to make this process easier?? Is it not that big a deal after a while?

P.S. the screen is really hard to read, and the backlight doesn't automatically go on when you plug it into the car.
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I foresee a topic being created by minnesotabrad in the near future titled, "Puzzle Caches - created by monkeys?" Smile
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if he likes his GPS, good for him. I'd like to like it too, but I have found it very frustrating so far.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado-- synonymous with expensive PDA for paperless caching. Laughing
herrwald
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado - designed by monkeys? Reply with quote

I got my Colorado back in May and it gave me lots of headaches from day one, like turning itself whenever it felt like it. Sometimes it would freeze and removing a battery was the only way to turn it off. Garmin wanted me to send it in for repair, but I bought the thing to take to Alaska in June, so I opted to wait until I returned. Good thing I loaded all my Alaskan caches into my old Map60C and took it along. I got so tired of the Colorado problems I used the 60C more than the Colorado.
Garmin ended up sending me a new unit which functions much better(after a couple of software updates), but as pfalstad points out the basic operation seems much more tedious than my 60C. The unit now starts automatically when you plug it in the auto power, but you have to still manually turn on the backlight.
pfalstad wrote:
Do I seriously have to switch profiles every time I get out of the car? I noticed that there is a profile item for "Off Road Transitions", where it can be "auto", "manual", or "distance". What do those do? I tried "auto" and it didn't seem to work.

I have not come across the Off Road Transitions profile.

I also find the profile switching to be very tedious, but adding a profile button to each profile you use makes it a little faster. The following link has some pretty good tips and info: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

Now I see Garmin has introduced the Oregon. The touch screen seems like a great improvement. The wheel on the Colorado is worse for typing a message than moving around a letter grid with buttons.
I mentioned to my wife that Garmin just came out with a new GPS that I just had to have.... All I got was silence. I told her some people collect stamps, I collect Garmins.
I'll probably have to wait until that Minnesotan model comes out. Maybe by then, they will have put back all the functions they eliminated from the older models and figured out how to make the nice new features easy to access.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: