MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enger Tower

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Enger Tower Reply with quote

I was just browsing through some area caches and noticed that IBcrashen and GonSolo's Enger Tower cache has 555 finds.

I'm sure there are other caches in the state that exceed that, but I found that to be surprising for this area.

I don't know if they've had many maintenance issues with the cache (I wasn't really up to reading through all of the logs, sorry), but I'm guessing that there have been some over time. Good job for keeping this cache going!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Enger Tower Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm sure there are other caches in the state that exceed that, but I found that to be surprising for this area.

It appears that the only other cache that exceeds this in the state is the Mall of America cache with 804 finds.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was our first cache hidden with only 24 finds under our belt. Seen many post on GC that you should have more than so and so finds before you put one out. Guess we kill that theory. Smile

To this day I still cant believe it hasnt gone missing yet. It is like, right on a well used trail, you almost have to step over it. And has been found by many muggles and they log it in the book.

I gave up long ago trying to keep it welled stocked with goodies. I clean it out at least twice a year of all the junk fellow cachers put into it and do put a couple of things into it when I do. Cant remember how many times I`ve replace the log book. The ammo can is getting worn out, OK the rubber gasket is.
It has been "placed in the right spot" twice and I had to hunt to find it myself, thinking it was gone and a prior DNF on it.

Guess the only thing that bothers me is the fact that many newbies make it there first find and take TB`s and coins and still dont know what to do with them and they disappear.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC26BE
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
GC26BE

Thanks Jonas. Sometimes I amaze even myself. Wink
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beacuse of the number of finds on both of these caches, I'm sure many people who visit these posts are finders of both Enger Tower and MOA. What a neat and unusual opportunity to compare two popular caches which are so totally different.

At first blush I too am somewhat amazed Enger has had so many visits. But then again the fact it has withstood the test of time and also the fact that the tower is a structure which is visible from all over the city of Duluth makes it a fun target to shoot for.

With all of the trails and muggle activity in the area it is kind of amazing the cache has not gone missing. We looked only a couple of minutes for the cache, and had to use stealth, but the find was made okay and we were treated to a great view and learned something about the history of the city while visiting the tower.

I'm kind of surprised MOA passed the geocaching standard as it is located in a place of business. I was totally comfortable looking for the cache and approaching the clerk to ask about the cache simply because of the frequency the cache is found. Rarely more than a couple of days pass without it being logged as found. It was actually a fun find going into the business.

One of my children actually did the leg work with a couple of his friends while visiting Camp Snoopy on a school trip. They missed one number. Oh how it would have been so worth it to see the three thirteen year old boys from the private Christian School walking into the lingerie store asking the clerk for the 'cache'. We later returned as a family and redid all of the work together.

Again, we missed one number and ended up in a different wrong store. The clerk in this store was very VERY helpful when we told her we were on sort of a treasure hunt looking for a cache. She thought we meant the prize was cash. She became much less interested when we told her our prize was not $, but mere pride and the opportunity to write our handle in a notebook.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rely enjoyed this area. After 30 + years of going to Duluth at least 4 times a year, it took geocaching to get us to this place. Had it not been for geocaching and the 4 caches in this area, it would have been something that we would see from canal park or I-35. A spot on the hill, nothing more. We remember it like it was yesterday, our trip last year in 37c weather, rare for Duluth. So thanks for bringing us up there and appreciate this fantastic park in a great City. Well deserving of the many visits.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
To this day I still cant believe it hasnt gone missing yet. It is like, right on a well used trail, you almost have to step over it. And has been found by many muggles and they log it in the book.

The trouble maker muggles are probably too busy defacing the tower and could care less about the fabulous view from this piece of heaven in Duluth. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: