MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching Minnesota Newsletter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of Geocaching Minnesota Newsletter?
I like the idea
86%
 86%  [ 26 ]
I see no need for it
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 30

minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Geocaching Minnesota Newsletter Reply with quote

After giving some thought on having a newsletter available to highlight geocaching in Minnesota I decided to put something together. The April edition is only a two page newletter and can be view here http://www.geocachingminnesota.airset.com. I am looking for feedback and to see if there is any interest in something like this. I gave merkman a sneek peak and he made some suggestions for a couple of things so I did those. I am thinking of possibly doing this on a monthly basis if there is interest. Thanks for letting me know what you think.

Last edited by minnesotabrad on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea and what you have, yes.

Personally I don't care for the delivery format, although maybe that's just because this is a first issue/test run.

I would be interested in receiving something like this in a PDF format via email.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the one from the WGA and don't care for the spam and if I read their site more frequently I would really despise it.

That's me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Minnesota Newsletter Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
After giving some thought on having a newsletter available to highlight geocaching in Minnesota I decided to put something together. The April edition is only a two page newletter and can be view here http://www.minnesotabrad.airset.com. I am looking for feedback and to see if there is any interest in something like this. I gave merkman a sneek peak and he made some suggestions for a couple of things so I did those. I am thinking of possibly doing this on a monthly basis if there is interest. Thanks for letting me know what you think.

I'll try to refrain from commenting about your DVD collection.. that would be off topic. Laughing Laughing

I'd be interested if the newsletter were interesting, didn't focus on the "old timers" or high visibility cachers, and pertained to strictly local (Minnesota) caching. I would not be interested in anything that filled my Inbox full of crap. Get enough of that already.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it.
Thanks for the initiative!!

If people donít like it have them click the remove me from the list button.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I like the idea and what you have, yes.

Personally I don't care for the delivery format, although maybe that's just because this is a first issue/test run.

I would be interested in receiving something like this in a PDF format via email.

The format would be different. For the first edition I used Microsoft Publisher and then converted to jpeg and just used my airset account so people could see what I came up with.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Minnesota Newsletter Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I'll try to refrain from commenting about your DVD collection.. that would be off topic. Laughing Laughing

I'd be interested if the newsletter were interesting, didn't focus on the "old timers" or high visibility cachers, and pertained to strictly local (Minnesota) caching. I would not be interested in anything that filled my Inbox full of crap. Get enough of that already.

The DVD collection is still a work in process as well. Laughing

I'm not an "old timer" so it would not just focus on those cachers. It also is not an MnGCA newsletter so it would mention any and all caching groups that I have or am given information on what's is going on with them. I try and get to as many events as possible and enjoy meeting new cachers and would love to get their perspective as well. It would focus on caching in Minnesota, but I would also do thinks like equipment reviews and articles on whats new, maybe a tech subject every so often.

It would not be a mass email to anyone. I would ask people that are interest in receiving it by email and only send it to those who request it. I would also have print copies that I would make available at events attend or mail some to those event hosts that may like it to have for people that would like it at their event.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I see so far, especially the different events listed on the 2nd page.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've discussed the idea of a newsletter in the past. I have always been for more information getting out.

However, one of the big issues was that we were prohibited from using the membership directory to e-mail the newsletter to all members as some felt it would be considered spam. So you will need some type of opt in if you are to e-mail it out. It could be part of the initial sign up process for new members but all existing members would need to provide an opt in notice.

I'll refrain from format and content discussions. We all have our own opinions and as long as you are going to be the editor and chief you have the right to establish it's content. PM me if you want my opinions and I'll be happy to discuss them with you off line.

I agree that the current delivery method of web pages is clumsy at best. But also understand that it is only draft or concept. Much work to be done.

If one is publish, I will opt in. Maybe even contribute occasionally.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the concept, as already stated, and even like your draft. You'll have to get yourself Adobe Acrobat and publish to PDF for easier distribution. Let me know if you ever want contributions... while I am not a writer I think I may share some common interests with what I'd like to hear about.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need Acrobat just use PDFCreator: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ -- it's free.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
You don't need Acrobat just use PDFCreator: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ -- it's free.

Thanks. I have it available in pdf format. If anyone would like it emailed in pdf format email or pm me and I will send it.

I will be looking for people that would like to contribute if this goes forward. A you can probably tell I am not a writer either bflentje, so any one would be welcome to contribute. I want to keep it fun and informative focusing on geocaching in Minnesota.

Thanks for the feedback received so far.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

I have used that app many times and it works great. You "print" to it vs converting anything. Works great.

Thanks Brad for taking the initiative on this. It looks great. Another suggestion might be to make it an rss feed of some sort and not "publish" it via email. That would eliminate both the spam concerns and the opt in/out concern. If you don't want to read it, you don't need to visit the rss feed.

Let me know if I can help. Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Another suggestion might be to make it an rss feed of some sort and not "publish" it via email. That would eliminate both the spam concerns and the opt in/out concern. If you don't want to read it, you don't need to visit the rss feed.

I was just about to post that -- or link to it from the Forum and people can read the linked material from there.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed online location of newsletter, see first post for new address. I will send the pdf file for anyone that prefers that method. Just send me an email or pm. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: