MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Infiltrating the "system"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Infiltrating the "system" Reply with quote

Hi, I am now a Parks Commissioner for the City of Maplewood. I hope to help keep geocaching a viable sport/hobby in that city. I am also working for dog parks too, so sometimes those might conflict. One thing I'd like to work on in the future is expanding park hours.

Any other cachers on park boards or commissions?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool...how does one become a parks commissioner?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an opening listed on the City's website and I applied. I interviewed, and was appointed by the City Council. Other cities may have an election, like I believe Minneapolis does. I would bet most cities have boards or commission seats that are appointed. Usually any resident of that city may apply.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: commissioner Reply with quote

A lot of time it's seasonal when you apply, you can call your city manager's office and ask about when and how to apply. I know it's appointments in EP too. I don't get the impression that it's super duper competitive -- plenty o work, none o pay -- but you learn a lot and can influence some things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: