MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pull caches for herbicides?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Pull caches for herbicides? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm being told that NSP wants my caches out of Southwood Park because they are spraying for buckthorn. What's to keep the local kids out?

From another cacher:

Hi tesser, I just talked to Dave Nelson, the Commission Member for NSP Park and Recreation. He informed me that it was decided at their meeting last night, that all caches in Southwood Park will need to be pulled, and kept out of there for the next 3-4 years while the buckthorn and other invasive weeds are being battled. 3 different herbicides are to be used. Safety and liability issues here. All the other parks are ok, no issues with those. Dave also said that some of the people on the Park & Rec have done geocaching and are "pro-geocaching".

Southwood Park is the best park for hiding regular caches in N. St. Paul! Has anyone else heard of a park asking this? Wouldn't they have to close the park? The park is surrounded by houses and is a popular place for people to walk their dogs. One of my caches is about 5-10 feet off the trail, one is about 20 feet off the trail, and one is about 30 feet off the trail.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pull caches for herbicides? Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
Hi,

I'm being told that NSP wants my caches out of Southwood Park because they are spraying for buckthorn. What's to keep the local kids out?

From another cacher:

Hi tesser, I just talked to Dave Nelson, the Commission Member for NSP Park and Recreation. He informed me that it was decided at their meeting last night, that all caches in Southwood Park will need to be pulled, and kept out of there for the next 3-4 years while the buckthorn and other invasive weeds are being battled. 3 different herbicides are to be used. Safety and liability issues here. All the other parks are ok, no issues with those. Dave also said that some of the people on the Park & Rec have done geocaching and are "pro-geocaching".

Southwood Park is the best park for hiding regular caches in N. St. Paul! Has anyone else heard of a park asking this? Wouldn't they have to close the park? The park is surrounded by houses and is a popular place for people to walk their dogs. One of my caches is about 5-10 feet off the trail, one is about 20 feet off the trail, and one is about 30 feet off the trail.

If it were me I would respond by telling them that I'm happy to comply but also that I have some questions/issues with it that I would appreciate it if they could address.

Even if it doesn't seem fair I think that you should be following what they want, but address the issues as well.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnsville does buckthorn control (with spraying) in Cam-Ram park yearly. They post signs that they are doing so and haven't said another word.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You comply willingly. We show our courtesy and respect by doing as they request.. and move on.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from entering the park unless they erect a fence.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple question? Who's doing the telling? Were you contacted by the park manager or other park representative? If the caches are legal and there fore registered then they know who to contact to have them removed.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the guy today, the park commissioner, and he said that he is concerned about liability for anyone who seeks the caches, since they are in areas that are sprayed. He didn't think they needed to close the park since the he believes only geocachers go off the trails. I asked him if he was contacting the families around the parks since you can't really control where the kids hang out. He said that they put up signs. I told him I would pull them, but if it's that dangerous they should be contacting the neighborhood families. He asked for my name and number and said he'd have a park employee call me.

Update on 3/1/08: Dave called me today and explained to me that the area being treated is not the whole park, and that caches would be fine in certain areas. He asked me to meet with him at the park to show me around. I just got back. He provided two maps to me, one an aerial photo and one a map with trails marked. Each map has the areas drawn on that were treated. We walked the park and I led him to the caches as I pulled them, and he showed me areas with sensitive plantings and areas that would be good for caches. They have a lot of great programs for using the park to teach about ecosystems and nature. Dave is a really good guy and I look forward to helping him out in the the future. Anyone else interested in teaching a geocaching class in NSP? They are also looking for help in mapping trails for park maps.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great example of responsible geocaching tesser.

Thanks for going the extra yard to forge good relationships with the park managers. These managers are a part of a "very small" network, and the good words that these park managers will more than likely bring to conversations with other park managers, does allot for the credibility of our sport. A big wOOt goes out to tesser on this one.

Also thanks for posting this here to keep us all informed.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser,

You set a good example of what a responsible cacher does in support of the rules and restrictions associated with placing a cache in the park.

Way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: