MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The President's Cacheside Chat (Summer 2007)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: The President's Cacheside Chat (Summer 2007) Reply with quote

Here's a quick take on the current happenings within the organization. If you have questions/comments on anything I've listed below (or anything I accidently ommitted) then please ask. My apologies for not getting this out sooner - life has been busy for all of us!

DNR WMAs

While the outlook is not good for getting caches back into WMAs, we are currently waiting for the DNR to evaluate the data that we've given them.

Dakota County

Dakota County does not have a policy in place at this time. One of our members worked with them a fair amount to present them with data they needed to make an informed policy, although Dakota County eventually never got back to us about the policy. It is our feeling that, given the fact that there is no policy in place at the time and we are not having problems with caching in the county, that we would not continue to pester them to make a policy. We are very open to assisting them in creating a policy, but our feeling is that they aren't ready to make one at this time.

Eden Prairie

Caching was banned in Eden Prairie and a policy is now in place to allow caches there. Details of the policy can be found here. Thanks to everyone who participated and assisted in making this happen, especially to dornole who took the lead on the project!

Anoka County

I received an email today from a program supervisor with Anoka County parks that is working on creating a 'virtual' geocaching program there (we've spoken a number of times via email about caching in Anoka County). Anoka County feels that it needs more information on caching, which is a stance they took last year as well. This year they are developing a 'virtual' geocaching program to be run in-house for visitors. What I've been told is that the park board/commission there is not willing to move forward on caching at this time and wants more information on the topic. Again, this is the same response we got from them last year.

It's my feeling that this will eventually lead to the outcome we are desiring, it's just going to take a while to get there. I know that there are some who want to bypass the park board and go higher up the chain of command in Anoka County - it's my feeling that doing so will burn bridges with the park board/commission that we don't want to do. I'm open to discussion/comments from the membership about this.

Fall Event/elections

The fall event will be held this year at Wild River State Park, about 10 miles east of North Branch. The event will be held October 6th, with a membership meeting and elections. We're hoping to get the cache page finished and published this weekend.

We are planning on having a number of permanent caches (loggable on gc.com) available to hunt for the weekend (and beyond) instead of temporary caches this year.

Nominations will start very soon - I'll be posting about that in the next day or so in the "Members Only" area of the forums.

If you have any questions about this or anything else above (or anything I may have forgotten), please feel free to ask here or in the appropriate thread for that topic.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Minnesota WMAs Reply with quote

Pear Head and friends,
Don't know if this is old news or not.
Had a recent conversation with another mngca member on this topic and he did not seem to be aware of DNR rules and regulations with regard to Wildlife Management Areas.
I believe "the rules" for these areas are actually passed by the Minnesota State Legislature and are not able to be revised or modified with out legislative approval.
When I was on the Minnesota Horse Council board of directors we actually found a State Senator and a couple State Representatives to work with to get legislative changes to allow the DNR to open previously closed areas up to horseback riding.
I believe the mngca would benefit from finding some legislative help in championing their cause as well.
Da Bloodhound
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Minnesota WMAs Reply with quote

Da Bloodhound wrote:

Had a recent conversation with another mngca member on this topic and he did not seem to be aware of DNR rules and regulations with regard to Wildlife Management Areas.
I believe "the rules" for these areas are actually passed by the Minnesota State Legislature and are not able to be revised or modified with out legislative approval.

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately though this is not the case. The word "geocaching" does not (to my knowledge) appear anywhere in Minnesota Statutes.

It comes down to how the DNR interpret's their mission and the law in place with regards to personal property and such. It's the same story that we went through with the DNR with regards to State Parks, only now we're working with a different group of officials.

Thanks for the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: