MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

geocaching travels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: geocaching travels Reply with quote

a while ago there was a thread about the various states that geocachers have logged a find in this year. (my list is not very impressive, it's at 4 states in the past 12 months, although it could have been 5, had i not struck out in florida.)

i may be heading to michigan next week. my trip would likely include an overnight in milwacky. i realized that if i hit a cache in wisconsin as i depart the next morning, i could stop in illinois, indiana and ohio on my way to michigan, then hit a fifth cache in michigan. while not the most impressive geocaching accomplishment in the world, it's not likely i'm going to be able to do anything like that again any time soon. (i don't anticipate moving out east any time soon, where hitting five states in one day could be done in a few hours, if you're in the right place. and while i could do 6 states on my trip back to minnesota, it's a long enough drive as it is, and i'd rather not hunt in the dark and turn a 10-hour trip into 12 or 14 hours.)

this potential trip left me wondering, what is the most significant geocaching accomplishment others have accomplished, in terms of states or distance?

i'm sure a few people have geocached more than 1,000 miles apart in the same day, thanks to air travel. perhaps others have visited caches 500 miles apart in the same day, while driving across 2 or 3 states. perhaps somebody managed to hit 5 or more states in the same day, be it out east, or driving around the midwest.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an itinerary planned for the 2003 WI-MI geocaching tour. (i haven't decided if it's pronounced "why my" or "whimmy." since the I in both michigan and wisconsin is short, whimmy would be more logical, but i like the sound of why my better.)

now all i have to do is get the weather to cooperate later this week.

i have two geocaches scouted in wisconsin, one near my starting point and one near the illinois border, both of which i intend to hit.

there's a CD exchange cache in northern illinois i plan to hit, but if i strike out there, i have a nearby cache identified as a back up.

there's a northwestern indiana cache i am eyeing up, and two back ups i've identified. should i be successful at my initial indiana destination, i may hit the second indiana back up anyway, as it is close to the tollway.

there's a virtual cache where indiana, ohio and michigan meet, so i'm going to head in that direction before i reach ohio, where i have a small town cache scouted. if i strike out there, i can go further east for my back up plan.

southern michigan lacks traditional caches, but i have one scouted due north of my first ohio site. if i strike out in southern michigan i'll have to count two virtual caches i will visit either way as my offical WI-MI cache for michigan. i have a few traditional michigan caches scouted elsewhere, but those are north and east of my final destination, so those will wait for another day.[/quote]
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: i did it! Reply with quote

i was a bit surprised that nobody has any geocaching distance accomplishments to brag about, so let me be the first! i am the *king* of multi-state geocaching!

i visited seven traditional caches in five states today. (and three virtual caches, two of which will be logged in the near future.) now that i've enjoyed a half liter of spiced rum while typing, my travel logs are complete.

this cache features my most creative log:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G51322876
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a worthy accomplishment, hardware.

However, the Guiness Book of World Records clearly states that, in order to hold the geocaching multistate record for a particular locality, the first or the last cache must be located in that locality.

Thus, you may hold the record for Milwaukee, but you do not hold the record for the Twin Cities.

You are just going to have to do this again. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-Rick
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides starting the trip in minnesota, a 6-state endeavor would likely have to be attempted in the summer. while i did finish this trip in the dark, i was a bit lucky to do so. (since some caches would likely be difficult, if not impossible, in the dark.)

if the right person in iowa or minnesota was making a similar trip toward michigan, 7 states could be accomplished without much more difficulty, i would guess.
tenner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARDWARE JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR THE MILES YOU PUT ON MY BUG. Very Happy tenner

I can only show you the cache, you have to open it.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I hope to place 10 caches. I've done 8 in a day twice. I have a southern route planned and all day to do it. Also, I hope to pick up three of my caches, and check on two that can't be found. I have 4-6 travel bugs that will be dropped also.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today I hope to place 10 caches.

Sound like mtn-man might have a chance to set some kind of approval record as well.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to check on the weather Sad

It wasn't a bad day. Cold, soaking wet jeans are a treat to walk in. Totally wet feet. Couldn't find the entrance to Murphy-Hanrehan in the dark. Cleary was locked up, didn't wanna walk that far. Picked up the non-approved, illegal *Grandpa's Junk Trunk* from Silver Lake Regional (undeveloped) Park. Saw the remains of a poached deer in the park. A little geocaching activity there might make them less bold.

Passed Mystic Lake twice and didn't stop. Can't believe that. Found a very COOL *area* in Rosemount that my brother-in-law has been talking up for over a year. Placed two caches there. Checked the caches at Byllesby Regional Park: 1 gone, 1 still there Saw the biggest deer I've ever seen. 50 yards away, 12 points, BIG

Went to Cannon Falls to drop off a T B for skybluepink, and couldn't find my cache. Snow, sleet, leaves on a STEEP hill - not good

Placed two caches in Ramblin' River Park in Farmington, and one at Camp Savage *park* in Savage.

Yeah, it was a fun day.

hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i imagine scouting out unclaimed areas and then finding the right place to leave caches in them can be as time consuming, if not more so, as planning a 10-cache hunt.

i hit 7 traditional caches and 3 virtuals during my WI-MI trip. one of the virtuals was the tri-state marker, which seemed like an appropriate place to find prior to entering ohio. the other 2 were very close to each other, and the only reason i made a point to visit them is that they were in the last town before my final destination. they would have also served as my back ups for michigan had i struck out in searching for the lone traditional cache available to me in southern michigan.

so i hit 7 traditionals that day, and that is probably my single-day record for physical caches. had i been able to get an earlier start on my trip to milwacky, i may have hit 12, as i had several scouted out in hudson, but had to blow most of those off to meet my stinktown ETA.

i know a number of people have hit more than 7 physical caches in a day, and that made me wonder if we've ever discussed single-day personal bests.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware wrote:
a number of people have hit more than 7 physical caches in a day, and that made me wonder if we've ever discussed single-day personal bests

My friend Ben (in California) once did a 45 cache day solo -- he said it took several days of planning.
He also has done a 75 cache day with 2 companions -- one navigates, one drives, and one keeps track of the caches..... again, lots of planning.
He also recently did a 100 cache weekend with a friend

I can't even imagine doing so many in such a short time. I like to find the cache and explore around a bit, pick up trash ....... etc etc
I think somebody might miss a lot of really neat places if they were doing serious speed caching. (just my opinion)
However.... It might be a cool thing to try once or twice, just to see if you could do it.

The most I have ever found in one day was 16. It was on a cross country road trip west and most of the caches were at rest stops along the way or very close to the highway.
That made a real nice break for the kids on the trip..... stop about every half hour or so and do a quick geocache. We only actually stopped at about a fourth of the ones I downloaded. I suppose we could have done more, but..... if the boys were being quiet (a rare occurance), I kept driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 in a day is quite impressive, and i can appreciate the planning that is involved in such an endeavor. i spent a couple hours planning a little five-state trip.

even with a team, 75 sounds impossible, but i suppose with enuff advanced planning in a high-density area...

taking advantage of daylight would seem to be a no brainer for a multi-cache day. to hit multiple caches in a marathon style i'd suspect you have to bypass difficult locations and offset caches. i've thought it would be fun to attempt a multi-cache marathon once, just for the sake of trying it. maybe next spring, before the bugs are in full bloom, and if the ground is relatively dry. 25 would seem to be a reasonable, round number. 45 seems like a bit much, unless there's a flashlight involved.

i don't get very wound up by the numbers, but it's nice to be able to look back at them for historical perspective. last week's trip to michigan will be much more memorable because of the WI-MI aspect of it.

you may not recall, but you never mentioned how many states your 16-cache day encompassed. since you were driving west, it could have easily been 2 or 3, given the frequency of stops.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=56edb1a8-a24e-4532-a651-884437005813

six states in 24 hours

hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six states, especially in the midwest, is no easy feat. to me there's a greater sense of accomplishment in doing something in the same calendar day, rather than in any designated 24-hr. period, but however you prefer to slice it, it's still six states.

by that standard i knocked off five states in less than 12 hours. but again, that's not my preferred standard of measurement.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey King,

Wasn't that cache just archived or disabled or something? If so, why? And what are the rules concerning a disabled cache. It appears to allow you to log it. Can someone visit and log a disabled cache if, say, it is disabled because it is wet? Would I (or should I) get permission from the owner? Would it be ok if I were to dry it and such with the owners permission?

Thanks, tomslusher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: